Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > XP64 on Turion?

XP64 on Turion?

John Barnes

Incidentally, I thought Acer changed their name to BenQ due to a poor
reputation. Guess that was just for peripherals.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> http://www.mcemvp.us/bbowman/

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS Windows-MVP
> Expert Zone Columnist
> http://www.mcemvp.us/bbowman/

Barb Bowman

been there done that. had to use the XP64 CD and recover console to
rename boot.ini's back to where they were. does not look to be
backward compatible. however, i just found
ftp://ftp.support.acer-euro.com/note...0bit%20driver/
and am going to poke around a bit after the downloads are finished.

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP

John Barnes

Am curious why you couldn't do everything in system properties and explorer.
I've always been able use system properties to set the default system and
time, edit the boot.ini and save as to a new name bootx.ini and then remove
the unwanted system and save. Then I either leave it or in explorer move
the bootx.ini to a new folder I create and then rename it back to boot.ini
Sorry to hear ntldr and Ntdetect.com aren't backwards compatible. Good luck
poking around.

"Barb Bowman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> been there done that. had to use the XP64 CD and recover console to
> rename boot.ini's back to where they were. does not look to be
> backward compatible. however, i just found
> ftp://ftp.support.acer-euro.com/note...0bit%20driver/
> and am going to poke around a bit after the downloads are finished.
>
> On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 06:06:37 -0700, "John Barnes" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>Why don't you experiment. Edit your boot.ini and remove the x64 system.
>>Make sure your are defaulted to the x86 system first, and make a copy of
>>the
>>original boot.ini and put it in a folder. If everything goes okay you
>>should be fine. The only change installing x64 should be the ntldr and
>>ntdetect.com which are new versions, and hopefully backward compatible.
>>You
>>should be able to get copies of the x86 versions or someone can email them
>>to you. They are small.
>>

>>"Barb Bowman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>> Sure I can restore it but if there are no drivers in a few weeks, I'd
>>> like to format the D driver and repair the boot side of the C drive
>>> which I'm hoping I can do without having to do a full recovery. I
>>> don't know that anyone has tried this with an XP/XP64 with 64 being
>>> installed last.

>>> --
>>>
>>> Barb Bowman
>>> MS Windows-MVP
>>> Expert Zone Columnist
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
>>> http://www.mcemvp.us/bbowman/

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS Windows-MVP
> Expert Zone Columnist
> http://www.mcemvp.us/bbowman/

Barb Bowman

don't need to remove XP64 anymore

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP

=?Utf-8?B?QnJpYW4uSmltZGFy?=

x64 drivers now appear on Acer's website!
I swear they weren't there a couple of days ago, but suddenly a Ferrari 4000
link appears on their support website:

http://global.acer.com/support/windo...sional-x64.htm

I have downloaded all the listed drivers and will attempt x64 upgrade this
week.
Will report back experiance.

Just started my first day at Microsoft today, so I should have MSDN access
as well.

-Brian Jimdar

"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> Were you able to roll back on a dual boot without running a recovery ?
> I'd rather repair the boot sector on drive C and format D again.
>
> I was told the same thing by Acer USA - that they had at least one dev
> running 64 bit and that everything should be supported out of the box.
> I hve not found a technology exchange for the USA to 64 bit either.
>
> I had the same experience as you. I found a realtek AC97 audio driver
> and the gigE driver, but I'm wireless here. And the thunk.exe unable
> to find an INF file also bit me.
>
> bluetooth works...
>
> i'm majorly bummed.
>
> On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 10:50:16 +0100, "Geoff Hirst"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> >"Brian.Jimdar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Hello all,
> >> I am a dotNet developer in Kirkland, WA, and I just bought a Acer Ferrari
> >> 4000, which has a new AMD Turion64 under the hood.
> >> I was just wondering if anyone has had experiance installing XP64 on a
> >> Turion, and if there are any problems with it.
> >>
> >> Also, I've heard that getting drivers for a laptop can be a pain. The acer
> >> website seems to be less then forthcoming with any help, but it is very
> >> clear
> >> that installing 64, "revokes" my licence for XP32, or in otherwords,
> >> "theres
> >> no turning back...".
> >>
> >> Should I take take the plunge?
> >>

> >Hi,
> >
> >I too have Ferrari 4000, luckily I also have MSDN Subscription. However,
> >just spent this morning installing Windows XP x64. I was explicitly told by
> >AMD execs on the stand at Tech-Ed Europe that all devices that are inside
> >the laptop are taken care of by the Windows install. Well the truth is they
> >are not.
> >
> >These are the devices that do not install
> >
> >Mass Storage Controller
> >Multimedia Audio Controller
> >Network Controller (wireless)
> >PCI Modem (not too concerned about this)
> >SM Bus Controller
> >
> >I had no networking at all, so I had to get the broadcom driver to get the
> >gigabit ethernet working, but that has been the extent of my success. I was
> >told that the Microsoft driver for the ATI Mobile Radeon X700 worked fine,
> >which is only partly true as it doesn't support it's maximum resolution. The
> >catalyst drivers from ATI seem to be missing a required INF file so they
> >don't work either. There also seems to be something really screwy with USB
> >drivers as every device I have seems to be identified as a USB 1.1 device
> >when under 32 bit xp they were USB 2.0 devices.
> >
> >All in all this seems to be a complete shambles and I now wish that I had
> >not wasted time installing x64 and then on top of that actually buying this
> >laptop at this time.
> >
> >So, for the time being I am rolling back...damn!.

> [...]

=?Utf-8?B?Q29saW4gU3dlbGlu?=

You can obtain all the 64bit drivers for the Acer Ferrari 4000 at

http://csd.acer.com.tw/SI/Download2....7?OpenDocument

"Brian.Jimdar" wrote:

> Hello all,
> I am a dotNet developer in Kirkland, WA, and I just bought a Acer Ferrari
> 4000, which has a new AMD Turion64 under the hood.
> I was just wondering if anyone has had experiance installing XP64 on a
> Turion, and if there are any problems with it.
>
> Also, I've heard that getting drivers for a laptop can be a pain. The acer
> website seems to be less then forthcoming with any help, but it is very clear
> that installing 64, "revokes" my licence for XP32, or in otherwords, "theres
> no turning back...".
>
> Should I take take the plunge?

=?Utf-8?B?RQ==?=

Hi Brian,

I actually got my system to work with no problems. Will Volker posted a link
with the FTP site to Acers 64bit drivers for the Ferrari 4000; I downloaded
my drivers from there and it's been runing great.

Also I am running all my standard Apps, and utiliies and I have yet to
experience any problems.
On word of caution though; Windows Media Player doesnt run on Windows XP 64,
but everything else I have works just fine.

Good Luck!

"Brian.Jimdar" wrote:

> Hello all,
> I am a dotNet developer in Kirkland, WA, and I just bought a Acer Ferrari
> 4000, which has a new AMD Turion64 under the hood.
> I was just wondering if anyone has had experiance installing XP64 on a
> Turion, and if there are any problems with it.
>
> Also, I've heard that getting drivers for a laptop can be a pain. The acer
> website seems to be less then forthcoming with any help, but it is very clear
> that installing 64, "revokes" my licence for XP32, or in otherwords, "theres
> no turning back...".
>
> Should I take take the plunge?

Barb Bowman

Windows Media Player works fine on my
Ferrari with x64. I can even watch recorded tv from my media center
pc's (that aren't restricted by DRM) after installing a DVD decoder.