Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Start-up in Win64 problems

Start-up in Win64 problems

=?Utf-8?B?Ym9ic21pdGgxMQ==?=

Whenever I installed 64 I did a fresh install and formated the hard drive
then when it installed and did the final reboot I had a dual boot prompt for
both 64 and xp pro. The installation works fine but the dual boot screen is
anoying and I'm also curious as to how it showed up. Will editing the
boot.ini file solve the problem. Thanks for any info or advice you can give
me.

John Barnes

Did you install over your x86? If so, you can make sure your x64 system is
the default OS and set the time in boot.ini to 0

"bobsmith11" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Whenever I installed 64 I did a fresh install and formated the hard drive
> then when it installed and did the final reboot I had a dual boot prompt
> for
> both 64 and xp pro. The installation works fine but the dual boot screen
> is
> anoying and I'm also curious as to how it showed up. Will editing the
> boot.ini file solve the problem. Thanks for any info or advice you can
> give
> me.

Rick

He said he formatted the drive. I don't believe x86 would still be
available after the format.

Maybe fixmbr would correct it. I don't know what information is written
to the MBR, but perhaps something to indicate there is/was an x86
installation?

John Barnes wrote:
> Did you install over your x86? If so, you can make sure your x64 system is
> the default OS and set the time in boot.ini to 0
>

> "bobsmith11" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Whenever I installed 64 I did a fresh install and formated the hard drive
>>then when it installed and did the final reboot I had a dual boot prompt
>>for
>>both 64 and xp pro. The installation works fine but the dual boot screen
>>is
>>anoying and I'm also curious as to how it showed up. Will editing the
>>boot.ini file solve the problem. Thanks for any info or advice you can
>>give
>>me.

John Barnes

He didn't say he formatted the same drive, therefore my question.
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> He said he formatted the drive. I don't believe x86 would still be
> available after the format.
>
> Maybe fixmbr would correct it. I don't know what information is written
> to the MBR, but perhaps something to indicate there is/was an x86
> installation?
>

> John Barnes wrote:
>> Did you install over your x86? If so, you can make sure your x64 system
>> is the default OS and set the time in boot.ini to 0
>>

>> "bobsmith11" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>>Whenever I installed 64 I did a fresh install and formated the hard drive
>>>then when it installed and did the final reboot I had a dual boot prompt
>>>for
>>>both 64 and xp pro. The installation works fine but the dual boot screen
>>>is
>>>anoying and I'm also curious as to how it showed up. Will editing the
>>>boot.ini file solve the problem. Thanks for any info or advice you can
>>>give
>>>me.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
Doesn't matter whether he formatted the drive or not. The boot.ini is
retained either way.
It's one of those scenarios where you can get into trouble either way. If
the drives are reconfigured(repartitioned, formatting, adding additional
drives or drivers), the entries in the boot,ini may or may not be valid any
longer, but it's really difficult to be accurate. So the safe thing to do
is to leave the entry present allow the user to make the choice after the
fact to remove it. The new install may be to a different controller and
each may need drivers so enumerating the drives could be different
depending on which setup you are running. If we delete the boot.ini it's
harder to regenerate one than if we leave the information available and
allow it to be removed post setup.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
<From: "John Barnes" <(E-Mail Removed)>
<Subject: Re: Start-up in Win64 problems
<Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 08:07:32 -0700
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
<
<He didn't say he formatted the same drive, therefore my question.
<"Rick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
<news:(E-Mail Removed)...
<> He said he formatted the drive. I don't believe x86 would still be
<> available after the format.
<>
<> John Barnes wrote:
<>> Did you install over your x86? If so, you can make sure your x64
system
<>> is the default OS and set the time in boot.ini to 0
<>>
<>>
[...]

Who said anything about deleting the boot.ini ? I only said if the new
installation is over the x86 system (ie gone), to set the boot display time
to 0 after making sure the default system is the one he wants. Also, don't
know when you last formatted a drive, but I formatted one yesterday and NO
boot.ini remained, though it is not the current boot drive.

""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
> Doesn't matter whether he formatted the drive or not. The boot.ini is
> retained either way.
> It's one of those scenarios where you can get into trouble either way. If
> the drives are reconfigured(repartitioned, formatting, adding additional
> drives or drivers), the entries in the boot,ini may or may not be valid
> any
> longer, but it's really difficult to be accurate. So the safe thing to do
> is to leave the entry present allow the user to make the choice after the
> fact to remove it. The new install may be to a different controller and
> each may need drivers so enumerating the drives could be different
> depending on which setup you are running. If we delete the boot.ini it's
> harder to regenerate one than if we leave the information available and
> allow it to be removed post setup.
> Thanks,
> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

> --------------------
> <From: "John Barnes" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> <Subject: Re: Start-up in Win64 problems
> <Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 08:07:32 -0700

> <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
> <
> <He didn't say he formatted the same drive, therefore my question.
> <"Rick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> <news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> <> He said he formatted the drive. I don't believe x86 would still be
> <> available after the format.
> <>
> <> Maybe fixmbr would correct it. I don't know what information is
> written
> <> to the MBR, but perhaps something to indicate there is/was an x86
> <> installation?
> <>
> <>
> <> John Barnes wrote:
> <>> Did you install over your x86? If so, you can make sure your x64
> system
> <>> is the default OS and set the time in boot.ini to 0
> <>>
> <>>
> <>> "bobsmith11" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> <>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> <>>
> <>>>Whenever I installed 64 I did a fresh install and formated the hard
> drive
> <>>>then when it installed and did the final reboot I had a dual boot
> prompt
> <>>>for
> <>>>both 64 and xp pro. The installation works fine but the dual boot
> screen
> <>>>is
> <>>>anoying and I'm also curious as to how it showed up. Will editing the
> <>>>boot.ini file solve the problem. Thanks for any info or advice you can
> <>>>give
> <>>>me.
> <>>
> <>>
> <
> <

John Barnes

That is not the current root drive.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

>> system
>> <>> is the default OS and set the time in boot.ini to 0
>> <>>
>> <>>
>> <>> "bobsmith11" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> <>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> <>>
>> <>>>Whenever I installed 64 I did a fresh install and formated the hard
>> drive
>> <>>>then when it installed and did the final reboot I had a dual boot
>> prompt
>> <>>>for
>> <>>>both 64 and xp pro. The installation works fine but the dual boot
>> screen
>> <>>>is
>> <>>>anoying and I'm also curious as to how it showed up. Will editing the
>> <>>>boot.ini file solve the problem. Thanks for any info or advice you

R. C. White

Hi, Bob.

To get rid of the x86 menu item should be easy enough. Either edit
C:\Boot.ini manually, as you said, or run msconfig, click the BOOT.INI tab
and click on Check All Boot Paths. If x86 remains, it apparently is
installed somewhere in your computer, but not on the volume that you
reformatted.

You didn't tell us how many HDs you have and how they are partitioned. Even
if you reformatted D: and installed x64 there, you might still have x86 on
C: or E: or some other volume.

Was WinXP pre-installed on this computer? If so, the OEM may have it in a
hidden partition on the hard drive; that partition would not have been
reformatted when you installed x64. What is the make and model of your
computer?

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"bobsmith11" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Whenever I installed 64 I did a fresh install and formated the hard drive
> then when it installed and did the final reboot I had a dual boot prompt
> for
> both 64 and xp pro. The installation works fine but the dual boot screen
> is
> anoying and I'm also curious as to how it showed up. Will editing the
> boot.ini file solve the problem. Thanks for any info or advice you can
> give
> me.

=?Utf-8?B?Ym9ic21pdGgxMQ==?=

I built the computer myself, nforce4 system with just one hard drive to start
out and test the system before I raid it. Was having problems originally and
installed Xp Pro 32 to check system out. I then completely reformatted to
hard drive (didn't use the quick option, used the long one) After it rebooted
to go to windows the xp boot option showed up. No other partitions. Can you
explain how to edit the boot.ini file a little better so I can fix this thx.

"R. C. White" wrote:

> Hi, Bob.
>
> To get rid of the x86 menu item should be easy enough. Either edit
> C:\Boot.ini manually, as you said, or run msconfig, click the BOOT.INI tab
> and click on Check All Boot Paths. If x86 remains, it apparently is
> installed somewhere in your computer, but not on the volume that you
> reformatted.
>
> You didn't tell us how many HDs you have and how they are partitioned. Even
> if you reformatted D: and installed x64 there, you might still have x86 on
> C: or E: or some other volume.
>
> Was WinXP pre-installed on this computer? If so, the OEM may have it in a
> hidden partition on the hard drive; that partition would not have been
> reformatted when you installed x64. What is the make and model of your
> computer?
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> (E-Mail Removed)
> Microsoft Windows MVP
>
> "bobsmith11" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Whenever I installed 64 I did a fresh install and formated the hard drive
> > then when it installed and did the final reboot I had a dual boot prompt
> > for
> > both 64 and xp pro. The installation works fine but the dual boot screen
> > is
> > anoying and I'm also curious as to how it showed up. Will editing the
> > boot.ini file solve the problem. Thanks for any info or advice you can
> > give
> > me.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Here Bob: