Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Home Network setup ?

Home Network setup ?

YoMan!

Looking for some good advice on what would be the best
setup for and home network for studying / reading my
Network book / and getting ready for my 70-216 exam? I
have three desktop PCs and one Compaq E500 laptop computer
to user. Also have a hub and a Cable access point router?
I have windows 2000 server 120day key and advance 120day
key. I have my own copy of windows 2000 Pro! I would like
just an how to would be a best setup for studying.

Thanks!!

Kenarbes

You are in better shape than I was for my 70-216. I only had 1 compute
for most of my studies, only recently got a second.

I would recommend setting up at least 1 of your computers as a dc, on
maybe as a member server, and one with Pro (don't forget the Admi
tools!). You are going to need to understand DHCP, DNS and WINS mos
of all. This will give you a perfect opportunity to actually use th
tools like netsh, nslookup and ntdsutil, etc, and especially pa
attention to the switches in those commands, stuff I had to memoriz
because I couldn't do much with them on a 1 computer network.

Then, get a good understanding of IPSec, and IIS, and understand wha
the differences are between NAT and a Proxy. I found www.whatis.com t
be most helpful, there.

And, finally, get comfortable with subnetting. I found Freak's Guid
to Subnetting to be most helpful.

And all of this was just an overview. :eek

Kenarbe