Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Windows XP x64 AND x86

Windows XP x64 AND x86

peterpig

If I exchange my copy of XP x86 for XP x64 with TAP do I lose my x86
license? I would like to install both of them (in separate partitions
of course) and gradually move over to x64 as and when 64-bit programs
are released. Is this possible or do I have choose either x86 or x64? I
would just carry on with the x86 version for now and upgrade to x64 in
maybe a year but the TAP runs out in a few weeks and I don't want to
have to make a token hardware purchase and buy the OEM version.
Clarification would be gratefully received.

--
peterpig
peterpig's Profile: http://www.64bit-world.com/forums/member.php?u=979

Rick

According to everything that has been posted here several times, your
32-bit license will be de-activated when you load Windows x64 and
register it. The 32-bit license/product key will no longer be legally
usable at that time.

peterpig wrote:
> If I exchange my copy of XP x86 for XP x64 with TAP do I lose my x86
> license? I would like to install both of them (in separate partitions
> of course) and gradually move over to x64 as and when 64-bit programs
> are released. Is this possible or do I have choose either x86 or x64? I
> would just carry on with the x86 version for now and upgrade to x64 in
> maybe a year but the TAP runs out in a few weeks and I don't want to
> have to make a token hardware purchase and buy the OEM version.
> Clarification would be gratefully received.

John Barnes

Your x86 license with expire when you 'activate' the x64 version according
to prior posts

"peterpig" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...

> If I exchange my copy of XP x86 for XP x64 with TAP do I lose my x86
> license? I would like to install both of them (in separate partitions
> of course) and gradually move over to x64 as and when 64-bit programs
> are released. Is this possible or do I have choose either x86 or x64? I
> would just carry on with the x86 version for now and upgrade to x64 in
> maybe a year but the TAP runs out in a few weeks and I don't want to
> have to make a token hardware purchase and buy the OEM version.
> Clarification would be gratefully received.
>

> --
> peterpig
> peterpig's Profile: http://www.64bit-world.com/forums/member.php?u=979
> View this thread: http://www.64bit-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4339

peterpig

Thanks Rick. Annoying but not surprising. So if you want Windows XP x8
to run (old) programs that are not compatible or do not perform as wel
as with the x64 version, you have to own two copies of Windows. Unles
there is a workaround that hasn't ocurred to me

Rick Wrote:
> According to everything that has been posted here several times, you
>
> 32-bit license will be de-activated when you load Windows x64 an
> register it. The 32-bit license/product key will no longer be legall
> usable at that time
>
> peterpig wrote
> > If I exchange my copy of XP x86 for XP x64 with TAP do I lose my x8
> > license? I would like to install both of them (in separate partition
> > of course) and gradually move over to x64 as and when 64-bit program
> > are released. Is this possible or do I have choose either x86 or x64

> > would just carry on with the x86 version for now and upgrade to x6

> > maybe a year but the TAP runs out in a few weeks and I don't want t
> > have to make a token hardware purchase and buy the OEM version
> > Clarification would be gratefully received

--
peterpi
peterpig's Profile: http://www.64bit-world.com/forums/member.php?u=97
View this thread: http://www.64bit-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=433

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

There is no preventing installation of the Windows XP Professional x86
media, its just that, you won't be able to activate. With the current series
of incompatibilities plaguing x64 users, its best you purchase an additional
license for the x86 XP to use in a dual boot configuration with XP x64 to
main compatibility with legacy with legacy applications while you transition
to x64 at your own pace.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"peterpig" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...

> If I exchange my copy of XP x86 for XP x64 with TAP do I lose my x86
> license? I would like to install both of them (in separate partitions
> of course) and gradually move over to x64 as and when 64-bit programs
> are released. Is this possible or do I have choose either x86 or x64? I
> would just carry on with the x86 version for now and upgrade to x64 in
> maybe a year but the TAP runs out in a few weeks and I don't want to
> have to make a token hardware purchase and buy the OEM version.
> Clarification would be gratefully received.
>

> --
> peterpig
> peterpig's Profile: http://www.64bit-world.com/forums/member.php?u=979
> View this thread: http://www.64bit-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4339

John Barnes

Since there is no idea when TAP will actually deliver, buy an OEM copy of
x64 and keep your x86 license by staying away from TAP (like I did)

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> There is no preventing installation of the Windows XP Professional x86
> media, its just that, you won't be able to activate. With the current
> series of incompatibilities plaguing x64 users, its best you purchase an
> additional license for the x86 XP to use in a dual boot configuration with
> XP x64 to main compatibility with legacy with legacy applications while
> you transition to x64 at your own pace.
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>
> "peterpig" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> If I exchange my copy of XP x86 for XP x64 with TAP do I lose my x86
>> license? I would like to install both of them (in separate partitions
>> of course) and gradually move over to x64 as and when 64-bit programs
>> are released. Is this possible or do I have choose either x86 or x64? I
>> would just carry on with the x86 version for now and upgrade to x64 in
>> maybe a year but the TAP runs out in a few weeks and I don't want to
>> have to make a token hardware purchase and buy the OEM version.
>> Clarification would be gratefully received.
>>

>> --
>> peterpig
>> peterpig's Profile: http://www.64bit-world.com/forums/member.php?u=979
>> View this thread: http://www.64bit-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4339

peterpig

Thanks everyone. I thought I probably would have to fork out for anothe
copy of Windows, I was just checking to see if there was any way t
avoid it. I'll wait until there are some more 64-bit programs and mak
use of the 120-day trial

--
peterpi
peterpig's Profile: http://www.64bit-world.com/forums/member.php?u=97
View this thread: http://www.64bit-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=433

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Good choice.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"peterpig" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...

> Thanks everyone. I thought I probably would have to fork out for another
> copy of Windows, I was just checking to see if there was any way to
> avoid it. I'll wait until there are some more 64-bit programs and make
> use of the 120-day trial.
>

> --
> peterpig
> peterpig's Profile: http://www.64bit-world.com/forums/member.php?u=979
> View this thread: http://www.64bit-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4339

Mike Brannigan [MSFT]

"peterpig" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...

> Thanks Rick. Annoying but not surprising. So if you want Windows XP x86
> to run (old) programs that are not compatible or do not perform as well
> as with the x64 version, you have to own two copies of Windows. Unless
> there is a workaround that hasn't ocurred to me.

That is correct.
The TAP program is an license Exchange program you give us back an x86 and
we give you a nice new x64

--

Regards,

Mike