Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > userdump for XP64

userdump for XP64

=?Utf-8?B?am9obmQ=?=

Hello all,

As a software developer I have found the userdump utility from microsoft
very helpful in fixing bugs reported at customer sites.

Is there a 64bit version of userdump? i.e. one that creates dumps of 64bit
processes. (I've tried the 32bit version but natually that fails on 64bit
processes).

Many Thanks,

john.

Joseph Conway [MSFT]

Good question, I am not sure. Will ask around today and see what I can
find for you.

=?Utf-8?B?am9obmQ=?=

Hi Joseph,

Great, I'll wait for your response.

Thanks.

""Joseph Conway [MSFT]"" wrote:

> Good question, I am not sure. Will ask around today and see what I can
> find for you.

WM

Are you familiar with NotMyFault? It's a tool that can generate crashes to
get you useful dumps. It is included in Microsoft Windows Internals, Fourth
Edition, from MS Press, but is also available here:
http://www.sysinternals.com/WindowsInternals.html. Both 32 and 64-bit
versions are available in that download.

"johnd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello all,
>
> As a software developer I have found the userdump utility from microsoft
> very helpful in fixing bugs reported at customer sites.
>
> Is there a 64bit version of userdump? i.e. one that creates dumps of 64bit
> processes. (I've tried the 32bit version but natually that fails on 64bit
> processes).
>
> Many Thanks,
>
> john.

]{artik

Wouldn't this help ?

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtoo...tall64bit.mspx

Regards

]{artik

=?Utf-8?B?am9obmQ=?=

Hi "WM",

I was not aware of NotMyFault, but it looks like it might come in useful for
other problems. However, it looks like it only crashes and dumps the whole
system. Ideally we want to dump the image of our process, and then load this
image into Visual Studio to look at the problem. Userdump does just that.

/john

"WM" wrote:

> Are you familiar with NotMyFault? It's a tool that can generate crashes to
> get you useful dumps. It is included in Microsoft Windows Internals, Fourth
> Edition, from MS Press, but is also available here:
> http://www.sysinternals.com/WindowsInternals.html. Both 32 and 64-bit
> versions are available in that download.
>

> "johnd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hello all,
> >
> > As a software developer I have found the userdump utility from microsoft
> > very helpful in fixing bugs reported at customer sites.
> >
> > Is there a 64bit version of userdump? i.e. one that creates dumps of 64bit
> > processes. (I've tried the 32bit version but natually that fails on 64bit
> > processes).
> >
> > Many Thanks,
> >
> > john.

=?Utf-8?B?am9obmQ=?=

Hi,

Thanks for the link. Problem is that we have a crash at a customer site and
(at the moment) we dont want to force the customer to install a bunch of
debugging tools. Userdump works at the sort of level that we can easily
explain to a non-technical user.

"]{artik" wrote:

> Wouldn't this help ?
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtoo...tall64bit.mspx
>
> Regards
>
> ]{artik

Joseph Conway [MSFT]

John

Currently we dont have a version of userdump for 64.

=?Utf-8?B?am9obmQ=?=

Hi Joseph,

Figured that would be the case. It's a *very* useful tool though, so I'd
like to add an official request that it be done. (Don't know if this is the
correct place to do that though).

Thanks for your time,

John.