Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > 64bit Video Editing

64bit Video Editing

=?Utf-8?B?S2VyaQ==?=

Hi all.
I've been using Pinnacle Studio 9 Deluxe for some fairly intensive video
editing and production for a friends training film company.
My current system supports Windows x64 and I've been testing the beta with
generally good results, but Pinnacle seems totally uninterested in providing
any sort of support at all. Their programs won't even install under Windows
x64.
As of June22, 2005 they clearly stated they have no plans at all for
developing 64 bit support, and consider that there would be no benefit.

The potential benefits seem huge as the AVI files can be tens of GBs in
size. It seems odd that a higher-end company like Pinnacle would completely
shun development.

My question is.... Does anyone know of 64 bit compatible video editing
software, or at least a company that is developing some? My research didn't
find any. Much as I like the Studio software, the slow and error-ridden
performance on very large projects is unacceptable for my friends company.

Thanks for any advice,
Keri

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

A lot of applications supporting x64 are mainly animation applications such
as Sonar and Lightwave 3D and they are still in beta, hopefully over time we
will see applications that can take at advantage of 64 bit power written
specifically for platform.

The problem is, it takes time, the operating system was only released 2
months ago.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"Keri" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all.
> I've been using Pinnacle Studio 9 Deluxe for some fairly intensive video
> editing and production for a friends training film company.
> My current system supports Windows x64 and I've been testing the beta with
> generally good results, but Pinnacle seems totally uninterested in
> providing
> any sort of support at all. Their programs won't even install under
> Windows
> x64.
> As of June22, 2005 they clearly stated they have no plans at all for
> developing 64 bit support, and consider that there would be no benefit.
>
> The potential benefits seem huge as the AVI files can be tens of GBs in
> size. It seems odd that a higher-end company like Pinnacle would
> completely
> shun development.
>
> My question is.... Does anyone know of 64 bit compatible video editing
> software, or at least a company that is developing some? My research
> didn't
> find any. Much as I like the Studio software, the slow and error-ridden
> performance on very large projects is unacceptable for my friends company.
>
> Thanks for any advice,
> Keri

Intel_Fan

If you happen to be using an Intel processor, search the Intel software
solutions catalog. These are vendors that either use Intel compilers or call
into the Intel performance libraries.
http://www.intel.com/cd/ids/develope...alog/index.htm

"Keri" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all.
> I've been using Pinnacle Studio 9 Deluxe for some fairly intensive video
> editing and production for a friends training film company.
> My current system supports Windows x64 and I've been testing the beta with
> generally good results, but Pinnacle seems totally uninterested in

providing
> any sort of support at all. Their programs won't even install under

Windows
> x64.
> As of June22, 2005 they clearly stated they have no plans at all for
> developing 64 bit support, and consider that there would be no benefit.
>
> The potential benefits seem huge as the AVI files can be tens of GBs in
> size. It seems odd that a higher-end company like Pinnacle would

completely
> shun development.
>
> My question is.... Does anyone know of 64 bit compatible video editing
> software, or at least a company that is developing some? My research

didn't
> find any. Much as I like the Studio software, the slow and error-ridden
> performance on very large projects is unacceptable for my friends company.
>
> Thanks for any advice,
> Keri

=?Utf-8?B?S2VyaQ==?=

Yes, I am currently using an Intel 630 on a Abit AG8.
The Hyperthreading seems to improve the video editing compared to an AMD64
3000 on a DFI Lanparty NF4. Not a great deal faster, but smoother and fewer
errors.
Other than the video editing, the AMD system seemed faster and ran much
cooler.

Thanks for the link,
Keri

"Intel_Fan" wrote:

> If you happen to be using an Intel processor, search the Intel software
> solutions catalog. These are vendors that either use Intel compilers or call
> into the Intel performance libraries.
> http://www.intel.com/cd/ids/develope...alog/index.htm

Jud Hendrix

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 11:49:14 -0700, "Keri"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

Well, you got Windows Movie Maker <evil grin>

A friend of mine has Canopus Edius Pro and he brought it along to try
on my system to see if it would install. The software runs. I can
capture via the built-in firewire, but for some reason the program
seemed to freeze every 15 minutes or so for a bit (but not always). It
could do all kind of effects in real-time. But unfortunately for him,
Canopus doesn't have 64-bit drivers for his hardware.
Avid Xpress Pro won't install, which is a pity so I have to keep
running that one on xp32.

jud

Colin Barnhorst

As I recall, the AMD64 3000 does not support hyperthreading. You are
correct that the AMD64 seems faster and it does run much cooler. Wait until
you try the dual-core Athlon 64 x2!

"Keri" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Yes, I am currently using an Intel 630 on a Abit AG8.
> The Hyperthreading seems to improve the video editing compared to an AMD64
> 3000 on a DFI Lanparty NF4. Not a great deal faster, but smoother and
> fewer
> errors.
> Other than the video editing, the AMD system seemed faster and ran much
> cooler.
>
> Thanks for the link,
> Keri
>
> "Intel_Fan" wrote:
>
>> If you happen to be using an Intel processor, search the Intel software
>> solutions catalog. These are vendors that either use Intel compilers or
>> call
>> into the Intel performance libraries.
>> http://www.intel.com/cd/ids/develope...alog/index.htm

=?Utf-8?B?TWFyaw==?=

Keri,

I'm running Adobe's Premier Pro 1.5.1. It's 32-bit. The only problem that
I've heard of so far is that some people are having difficulties with DVD
burning from within Ppro.

You can download the tryout from their website. But note that the trial
will not burn a DVD. That's the only part that's crippled due to some
licensing restrictions.

"Keri" wrote:

> Hi all.
> I've been using Pinnacle Studio 9 Deluxe for some fairly intensive video
> editing and production for a friends training film company.
> My current system supports Windows x64 and I've been testing the beta with
> generally good results, but Pinnacle seems totally uninterested in providing
> any sort of support at all. Their programs won't even install under Windows
> x64.
> As of June22, 2005 they clearly stated they have no plans at all for
> developing 64 bit support, and consider that there would be no benefit.
>
> The potential benefits seem huge as the AVI files can be tens of GBs in
> size. It seems odd that a higher-end company like Pinnacle would completely
> shun development.
>
> My question is.... Does anyone know of 64 bit compatible video editing
> software, or at least a company that is developing some? My research didn't
> find any. Much as I like the Studio software, the slow and error-ridden
> performance on very large projects is unacceptable for my friends company.
>
> Thanks for any advice,
> Keri

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

But it supports a similar technology called Hyper Transport.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> As I recall, the AMD64 3000 does not support hyperthreading. You are
> correct that the AMD64 seems faster and it does run much cooler. Wait
> until you try the dual-core Athlon 64 x2!

> "Keri" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> Yes, I am currently using an Intel 630 on a Abit AG8.
>> The Hyperthreading seems to improve the video editing compared to an
>> AMD64
>> 3000 on a DFI Lanparty NF4. Not a great deal faster, but smoother and
>> fewer
>> errors.
>> Other than the video editing, the AMD system seemed faster and ran much
>> cooler.
>>
>> Thanks for the link,
>> Keri
>>
>> "Intel_Fan" wrote:
>>
>>> If you happen to be using an Intel processor, search the Intel software
>>> solutions catalog. These are vendors that either use Intel compilers or
>>> call
>>> into the Intel performance libraries.
>>> http://www.intel.com/cd/ids/develope...alog/index.htm

DKI

If i remember correctly hyper transport and hyper threading are 2 totaly
different technologies all together,

hyper threading will allow the the parts of the processor thats not being
utilitised to be utilitised at the same time

hyper transport is more a faster bus to provide a faster way of commicating
between the processor, memory and other areas of the PC

(anyone if something is wrong feal free to correct it)

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> But it supports a similar technology called Hyper Transport.
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> As I recall, the AMD64 3000 does not support hyperthreading. You are
>> correct that the AMD64 seems faster and it does run much cooler. Wait
>> until you try the dual-core Athlon 64 x2!
>>
>> --
>> "Keri" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> Yes, I am currently using an Intel 630 on a Abit AG8.
>>> The Hyperthreading seems to improve the video editing compared to an
>>> AMD64
>>> 3000 on a DFI Lanparty NF4. Not a great deal faster, but smoother and
>>> fewer
>>> errors.
>>> Other than the video editing, the AMD system seemed faster and ran much
>>> cooler.
>>>
>>> Thanks for the link,
>>> Keri

Sean M

Not to sound like an English teacher, but the proper spelling of 'feal'
is 'feel', in this case anyways. Other than that, I was about to respond to
this post with exactly the same thing. IIRC HyperTransport is a way of
decoupling the motherboard bus speed with the CPU bus speed as well.

-- Sean M

news:(E-Mail Removed)...