Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Trouble with Visio 2003 Database diagram on XP x64 ?

Trouble with Visio 2003 Database diagram on XP x64 ?

Peter Lawton

I've got Visio 2003 installed on XP x64 and most of it works fine, however
when I choose a new "Database" then "Database Model Diagram" Visio locks up.

Has anyone else experienced this, it's happening to me on both of the two
x64 machines I've tried it on.

I've set DEP to "essential windows programs only" but it hasn't helped.

Thanks

Peter Lawton

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Have you installed SP1 for Visio 2003?
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"Peter Lawton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've got Visio 2003 installed on XP x64 and most of it works fine, however
> when I choose a new "Database" then "Database Model Diagram" Visio locks
> up.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this, it's happening to me on both of the two
> x64 machines I've tried it on.
>
> I've set DEP to "essential windows programs only" but it hasn't helped.
>
> Thanks
>
> Peter Lawton

Peter Lawton

Yes, SP1 and all the suggested patches on "officeupdate.microsoft.com"

Strange problem as the only thing that causes trouble is the Database Model
Diagram

Peter Lawton

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Have you installed SP1 for Visio 2003?
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>
> "Peter Lawton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I've got Visio 2003 installed on XP x64 and most of it works fine,
>> however when I choose a new "Database" then "Database Model Diagram"
>> Visio locks up.
>>
>> Has anyone else experienced this, it's happening to me on both of the two
>> x64 machines I've tried it on.
>>
>> I've set DEP to "essential windows programs only" but it hasn't helped.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Peter Lawton

Mike Brannigan [MSFT]

"Peter Lawton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes, SP1 and all the suggested patches on "officeupdate.microsoft.com"
>
> Strange problem as the only thing that causes trouble is the Database
> Model Diagram
>
> Peter Lawton

This may be related to interaction with the ODBC layers that allow for Visio
to interact with databases - just my speculation

(and yes I have this problem too on Visio 2003 Pro (with SP1 and all
updates) on my x64 systems)

--

Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

newsgroups

"Peter Lawton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes, SP1 and all the suggested patches on "officeupdate.microsoft.com"
>
> Strange problem as the only thing that causes trouble is the Database
> Model Diagram
>
> Peter Lawton

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Have you installed SP1 for Visio 2003?
>> --
>> Andre
>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>>
>> "Peter Lawton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I've got Visio 2003 installed on XP x64 and most of it works fine,
>>> however when I choose a new "Database" then "Database Model Diagram"
>>> Visio locks up.
>>>
>>> Has anyone else experienced this, it's happening to me on both of the
>>> two x64 machines I've tried it on.
>>>
>>> I've set DEP to "essential windows programs only" but it hasn't helped.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Peter Lawton

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

I don't have Visio installed, actually I do, but its version 2000 on XP Pro
32 bit, but its possible that particular diagram utilizes some from MSDE,
which currently not available on x64.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"Peter Lawton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes, SP1 and all the suggested patches on "officeupdate.microsoft.com"
>
> Strange problem as the only thing that causes trouble is the Database
> Model Diagram
>
> Peter Lawton

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Have you installed SP1 for Visio 2003?
>> --
>> Andre
>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>>
>> "Peter Lawton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I've got Visio 2003 installed on XP x64 and most of it works fine,
>>> however when I choose a new "Database" then "Database Model Diagram"
>>> Visio locks up.
>>>
>>> Has anyone else experienced this, it's happening to me on both of the
>>> two x64 machines I've tried it on.
>>>
>>> I've set DEP to "essential windows programs only" but it hasn't helped.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Peter Lawton

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Yes, the ODBC thats the acronym I was trying to remember, especially if the
diagram has something to do with setting up a network with Active Directory
I suspect.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"Mike Brannigan [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Peter Lawton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Yes, SP1 and all the suggested patches on "officeupdate.microsoft.com"
>>
>> Strange problem as the only thing that causes trouble is the Database
>> Model Diagram
>>
>> Peter Lawton

> This may be related to interaction with the ODBC layers that allow for
> Visio to interact with databases - just my speculation
>
> (and yes I have this problem too on Visio 2003 Pro (with SP1 and all
> updates) on my x64 systems)
>
> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Mike
> --
> Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

> rights

> newsgroups
>
> "Peter Lawton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Yes, SP1 and all the suggested patches on "officeupdate.microsoft.com"
>>
>> Strange problem as the only thing that causes trouble is the Database
>> Model Diagram
>>
>> Peter Lawton

>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Have you installed SP1 for Visio 2003?
>>> --
>>> Andre
>>>
>>> "Peter Lawton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Peter Lawton

Thanks, at least it's not just me having the problem.

I'll run it on a 32bit machine for now until a fix comes out.

Peter Lawton