Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > AV and Firewalls.

AV and Firewalls.

Dennis Pack

With all the talk about AV and firewalls I went to an old website that I
used to test firewalls (blackcode.com). On my 32 bit system I have McAfee
Personal Firewall (No flaming please, it's paid for), Windows firewall and
going through a Linksys router, 64 bit system McAfee Enterprise 8.0i,
windows firewall and the same router. Port test and Trojan test indicate 0
open ports on either system. That indicates that the only virus or Trojan
threat is from what is being requested or downloaded. I haven't done
extensive testing but on earlier systems using dial-up had over a hundred
open ports. To this point the only virus any of my machines got hit by was
an old machine that hadn't been used in months got hit when I went online to
perform updates.

Michael Zerr

Haveing 3 firewalls is a bit of over kill I think. IMHO all you need is
windows firewall turned on and if you want to throw down for a cheap
router with NAT might be a good investment, anything else is just
wasting resorces.

Dennis Pack wrote:
> With all the talk about AV and firewalls I went to an old website that I
> used to test firewalls (blackcode.com). On my 32 bit system I have McAfee
> Personal Firewall (No flaming please, it's paid for), Windows firewall and
> going through a Linksys router, 64 bit system McAfee Enterprise 8.0i,
> windows firewall and the same router. Port test and Trojan test indicate 0
> open ports on either system. That indicates that the only virus or Trojan
> threat is from what is being requested or downloaded. I haven't done
> extensive testing but on earlier systems using dial-up had over a hundred
> open ports. To this point the only virus any of my machines got hit by was
> an old machine that hadn't been used in months got hit when I went online to
> perform updates.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Michael, everything you said solves it all, no more, no less. We are taking
this a bit extreme with Firewall issue, by the time they start writing
viruses, trojans and spyware, XP Pro x64 will be obsolete and we will be on
to the latest.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com