Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > What SATA Card should I purchase

What SATA Card should I purchase

=?Utf-8?B?R2FyeSBIZW5yeQ==?=

I have a Dell Precison 670 workstaiton with dual Zeon's and it came with two
SATA drives and XP64.

I want to purchase a second SATA controller for the machine that I can
install another instance of XP64 but I need to find one that is compatible.
I tried the Apaptec 1205sa with no luck. Can someone recommend to me a
controller that either has native support or has a driver that can be loaded
at install...

Thanks in advance!

Gary

Jerry

Try doing a Google search on SATA controller cards. If there are any
compatible they should be listed.

"Gary Henry" <henryga(donotspam)@mindspring.com.remove> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a Dell Precison 670 workstaiton with dual Zeon's and it came with
>two
> SATA drives and XP64.
>
> I want to purchase a second SATA controller for the machine that I can
> install another instance of XP64 but I need to find one that is
> compatible.
> I tried the Apaptec 1205sa with no luck. Can someone recommend to me a
> controller that either has native support or has a driver that can be
> loaded
> at install...
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Gary

Charlie Russel - MVP

I've been thinking about getting one of the better Promise cards with cache
on it, but haven't seen drivers for it yet. OTOH, all the Adaptec RAID
controllers appear to have drivers available. (But not their stand along SATA
controller -- just the RAID ones.)

--
Charlie.
http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/

Gary Henry wrote:
> I have a Dell Precison 670 workstaiton with dual Zeon's and it came
> with two SATA drives and XP64.
>
> I want to purchase a second SATA controller for the machine that I can
> install another instance of XP64 but I need to find one that is
> compatible. I tried the Apaptec 1205sa with no luck. Can someone
> recommend to me a controller that either has native support or has a
> driver that can be loaded at install...
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Gary

Intel_Fan

Trying not to sound insulting, have you checked to see if you already have
ports for extra devices? Most built-in controllers can handle 4 SATA
devices.

"Gary Henry" <henryga(donotspam)@mindspring.com.remove> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a Dell Precison 670 workstaiton with dual Zeon's and it came with

two
> SATA drives and XP64.
>
> I want to purchase a second SATA controller for the machine that I can
> install another instance of XP64 but I need to find one that is

compatible.
> I tried the Apaptec 1205sa with no luck. Can someone recommend to me a
> controller that either has native support or has a driver that can be

loaded
> at install...
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Gary

JM Tella Llop [MVP Windows]

www.highpoint-tech.com
www.3ware.com

--
Jose Manuel Tella Llop
MVP - Windows

Este mensaje se proporciona "como está" sin garantías de ninguna clase,
y no otorga ningún derecho.

rights.
You assume all risk for your use.

"Gary Henry" <henryga(donotspam)@mindspring.com.remove> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a Dell Precison 670 workstaiton with dual Zeon's and it came with
>two
> SATA drives and XP64.
>
> I want to purchase a second SATA controller for the machine that I can
> install another instance of XP64 but I need to find one that is
> compatible.
> I tried the Apaptec 1205sa with no luck. Can someone recommend to me a
> controller that either has native support or has a driver that can be
> loaded
> at install...
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Gary

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9zZWYgR29ua28=?=

I bought a 3ware 9500S-8MI controller and have five Western Digital WD2500SD
drives on it. The 3ware v9.2 drivers are x64 ready. The array really flys!!
3ware is expensive but well worth it if you plan to add even more drives. I
bought it on ebay so I did get a really good deal on it.

I had a HighPoint 404 card but they still haven't created x64 drivers for
it. Plus, I don't think any of their sata cards will do RAID5 on the card
(the 9500S does). Meaning, HighPoint RAID0 will run fast but RAID5 is slow.
I prefer RAID5.

"Gary Henry" wrote:

> I have a Dell Precison 670 workstaiton with dual Zeon's and it came with two
> SATA drives and XP64.
>
> I want to purchase a second SATA controller for the machine that I can
> install another instance of XP64 but I need to find one that is compatible.
> I tried the Apaptec 1205sa with no luck. Can someone recommend to me a
> controller that either has native support or has a driver that can be loaded
> at install...
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Gary

John Barnes

This workstation only has provision for 2 SATA drives without a PCI card.
Good idea though. I have the Silicon Image 3114 which has 64-bit drivers
any card with the SI chip in it would have drivers for x64.

"Intel_Fan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Trying not to sound insulting, have you checked to see if you already have
> ports for extra devices? Most built-in controllers can handle 4 SATA
> devices.
>
> "Gary Henry" <henryga(donotspam)@mindspring.com.remove> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I have a Dell Precison 670 workstaiton with dual Zeon's and it came with

> two
>> SATA drives and XP64.
>>
>> I want to purchase a second SATA controller for the machine that I can
>> install another instance of XP64 but I need to find one that is

> compatible.
>> I tried the Apaptec 1205sa with no luck. Can someone recommend to me a
>> controller that either has native support or has a driver that can be

> loaded
>> at install...
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>>
>> Gary

Stan Kasper

Isnt the 9500 a PCI-X card? If so, what mobo are you using?

You may want to check out the LSI offering - it supports SATA 300
and is a PCI-X card.

-Stan

"Josef Gonko" <Josef (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I bought a 3ware 9500S-8MI controller and have five Western Digital
>WD2500SD
> drives on it. The 3ware v9.2 drivers are x64 ready. The array really
> flys!!
> 3ware is expensive but well worth it if you plan to add even more drives.
> bought it on ebay so I did get a really good deal on it.
>
> I had a HighPoint 404 card but they still haven't created x64 drivers for
> it. Plus, I don't think any of their sata cards will do RAID5 on the card
> (the 9500S does). Meaning, HighPoint RAID0 will run fast but RAID5 is
> slow.
> I prefer RAID5.
>
> "Gary Henry" wrote:
>
>> I have a Dell Precison 670 workstaiton with dual Zeon's and it came with
>> two
>> SATA drives and XP64.
>>
>> I want to purchase a second SATA controller for the machine that I can
>> install another instance of XP64 but I need to find one that is
>> compatible.
>> I tried the Apaptec 1205sa with no luck. Can someone recommend to me a
>> controller that either has native support or has a driver that can be
>> loaded
>> at install...
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>>
>> Gary

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9zZWYgR29ua28=?=

Yes, it is PCI-X with a 64-bit/66mhz top speed. It can be installed in a
32/33 PCI slot but maximum performance will then be limited to 132MB/sec
(versus the 528MB/sec a proper PCI-X slot yields).

Consider that the WDC drives can only sustain a maximum disk to buffer rate
of 61MB/sec. Then, SATA-1 at 150MB/sec is irrelevant as the bandwidth is
ample. SATA-2 won't make the disk to buffer rate any faster as it is
mechanically limited (either the disk needs to spin faster and/or the data
density on each platter must be increased). Therefore, eight drives on the
card (the maximum) would consume a maximum of only 488MB/sec, so the slot
bandwidth is ample too.

I'm running a SuperMicro X6DAE-G2 board with two 3.2ghz Xeons and 8gb
memory. Started spec'ing out the system and "building" it in early January
(paycheck to paycheck, heh). Threw all the components in a Lian-Li 2100B BIG
tower case. Love the heck out of it.

I was going to go with LSI, as their 8-port card is just as great, but I
wanted the individual drive LED headers (which LSI does not have - just one
for overall activity).