Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > drivers very confusing in windows x64

drivers very confusing in windows x64

=?Utf-8?B?TW90aGVyYm9hcmR1ZGU=?=

I'll try posting in this section:

Ok, you might say Im having a slight problem installing the necessary drivers
for the 64bit xp version. I just bought new parts for my precious computer,
and I hate it when it won't work properly. This is the hardware:
Motherboard:
Sapphire ATI Xpress 200P, Socket-939,ATX SATA, LAN, AC97, USB2.0, PCI-Ex16
Processor:AMD Athlon 64 4000+ 2.4GHz Socket 939, 1MB, BOXED w/fan
videocard:
PowerColor Radeon X800XL 256MB GDDR3 PCI-Express, VIVO/2xDVI, Retail
soundcard:
(from old computer) SB Audigy modelnr: SB0900
RAM:
1 x Crucial PC3200 DDR-DIMM 1024MB CL3 5ns Unbuffered, Non-parity,
2.5V,128Meg x 64
Powersupply:
Sweex essentials 650WATT

I saw the offer from microsoft on a free 64bit trial for 120 days, and I
thought to myself, wow, I gotta try this.
First off, I visited the windows update section, and downed all that showed
up. That went fine. Next, I had to manually search for the drivers for the
64bit xp drivers for my vidcard, and after a while I found what I needed. And
after the restart voila, it worked just fine.

Now my problem is getting XP to find my motherboard drivers. Iv'e tried the
CD that came with my new motherboard, and what a surprise it didn't work. So
I searched Saphires pages for the drivers necessary for the 64 bit version.
What a surprise. I couldn't find anything. And the old though audigy drivers
shure didn't work. Iv'e even tried downing from creatives own "average
designed" official homepage..

Im desperate in need of help here, and Im open to suggestions if anybody
knows something I don't.. Maybe I should just go back to "good ol' XP?? that
seems like the only option so far.. I really hope its possible to run the
64bit XP. Someone got an Idea about my (dusted) soundcard, and motherboard
drivers.

When I read the device manager I get ?mark on the following on other devices:
Multimedia Audio controller
PCI Input device
SM Bus Controller
Unknown Device
Unknown Device

Remember I have tried to use the Driver cd that came with my motherboard,
and when it autoruns I get error message: "Stop run on your MB!" Well that
was a good explanation hehe. So please help me out here.. Im all out of
reasons why, My option is reinstalling good old XP, even if it means my 64
bit processor won't work in optimum conditions..

Thnx for the help guys, and as you already know...

--
"a genius fix what the expert cant fix"

Suburban

not much confusion here. Your motherboard drivers are 32bit not 64bit. You
should have tried the trial version before switching

"Motherboardude" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
> seems like the only option so far.. I really hope its possible to run the
> 64bit XP. Someone got an Idea about my (dusted) soundcard, and motherboard
> drivers.
>
> When I read the device manager I get ?mark on the following on other
> devices:
> Multimedia Audio controller
> PCI Input device
> SM Bus Controller
> Unknown Device
> Unknown Device
>
> Remember I have tried to use the Driver cd that came with my motherboard,
> and when it autoruns I get error message: "Stop run on your MB!" Well that
> was a good explanation hehe. So please help me out here.. Im all out of
> reasons why, My option is reinstalling good old XP, even if it means my 64
> bit processor won't work in optimum conditions..
>
> Thnx for the help guys, and as you already know...

formerprof

You'll find the beta or interim driver for your Audigy at
http://preview.creativelabs.com/default.aspx. 64-bit motherboard drivers may
be available on ATI's site as they are the chipset manufacturers. There is a
processor driver available on AMD's site. HTH.

formerprof

> [...]
> seems like the only option so far.. I really hope its possible to run the
> 64bit XP. Someone got an Idea about my (dusted) soundcard, and motherboard
> drivers.
>
> When I read the device manager I get ?mark on the following on other
> devices:
> Multimedia Audio controller
> PCI Input device
> SM Bus Controller
> Unknown Device
> Unknown Device
>
> Remember I have tried to use the Driver cd that came with my motherboard,
> and when it autoruns I get error message: "Stop run on your MB!" Well that
> was a good explanation hehe. So please help me out here.. Im all out of
> reasons why, My option is reinstalling good old XP, even if it means my 64
> bit processor won't work in optimum conditions..
>
> Thnx for the help guys, and as you already know...

RonK

Try the ATI 64 bit drivers:
https://support.ati.com/ics/support/...ge&folderID=27

Go to Planet64 for the sound and other drivers:
http://www.planetamd64.com/