Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Confused

Confused

=?Utf-8?B?SGVjdG9y?=

Since there are MS representatives helping to answer our questions here I
have a couple of them:

I bought a HP Pavillion that has Windows XP home edition.
This is a second computer. I already have a computer with Windows XP Pro.
I want to uninstall the operating system from the first system and transfer
it to my new system for a couple of reasons but file encryption is one of
them.
After I do that do I qualify to participate in the Technology Advancement
Program?

My second question has to do with the following: There are advertisements
in a local computer magazine that is selling the Windows XP 64 bit edition
for about $20.00 more than XP Pro. I thought that we were dealing with a beta
program and that is was still not available to the general market. I have not
seen bit computer outlets advertise it. So what's up?
Is it legal to be selling those copies?

Thanks
--
Hector

Charlie Russel - MVP

1.) There is no direct exchange from home to x64 Edition, only from
Professional. Further, be _very_ sure your machine will support x64 Edition
before you buy it or exchange for it. See
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/6...e/default.mspx for more on the
Technology Advancement Program.

2.) Whether you have a legal right to transfer the operating system from one
machine to another varies depending on what the original source of the copy
is. If it came pre-installed on a computer, it stays with that computer.
Period. It may not be transfered. If it is a retail copy, you may uninstall
it and transfer it to another machine. If it's a system builder copy, bought
with qualifying hardware, then it stays with the qualifying hardware (which
I've seen defined as a mouse in some cases.)

3.) Windows XP Professional x64 Edition is a shipping product, and has been
for two months now. So yes, it is legal to sell it, assuming it is sold with
qualifying hardware. No retail boxed version of x64 Edition is available.

--
Charlie.
http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/

Hector wrote:
> Since there are MS representatives helping to answer our questions
> here I have a couple of them:
>
> I bought a HP Pavillion that has Windows XP home edition.
> This is a second computer. I already have a computer with Windows XP
> Pro.
> I want to uninstall the operating system from the first system and
> transfer it to my new system for a couple of reasons but file
> encryption is one of them.
> After I do that do I qualify to participate in the Technology
> Advancement Program?
>
> My second question has to do with the following: There are
> advertisements in a local computer magazine that is selling the
> Windows XP 64 bit edition for about $20.00 more than XP Pro. I
> thought that we were dealing with a beta program and that is was
> still not available to the general market. I have not seen bit
> computer outlets advertise it. So what's up?
> Is it legal to be selling those copies?
>
> Thanks

Steve Thompson

Hector wrote:
> Since there are MS representatives helping to answer our questions here I
> have a couple of them:
>
> I bought a HP Pavillion that has Windows XP home edition.
> This is a second computer. I already have a computer with Windows XP Pro.
> I want to uninstall the operating system from the first system and transfer
> it to my new system for a couple of reasons but file encryption is one of
> them.
> After I do that do I qualify to participate in the Technology Advancement
> Program?
>
> My second question has to do with the following: There are advertisements
> in a local computer magazine that is selling the Windows XP 64 bit edition
> for about $20.00 more than XP Pro. I thought that we were dealing with a beta
> program and that is was still not available to the general market. I have not
> seen bit computer outlets advertise it. So what's up?
> Is it legal to be selling those copies?
>
> Thanks

Hello Hector,

I have successfully installed Windows XP x64 Edition on an HP Pavilion
A810n. Give me your exact model number and I'll try to help you out with
the installation as best I can.

Now, as far as purchasing the new operating system what you will get is
an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) version. X64 has been released
as final and is not in BETA anymore. When you purchase an OEM version of
the OS, you have to purchase a piece of hardware with it. Some companies
will offer the OS with as little as a new power cord but some are more
demanding in what piece of hardware you have to purchase. It might be a
memory module or a CD-ROM drive etc.

XP x64 Edition is not available as a consumer product so you can't just
walk into your local CompUSA and buy it off of the shelf.

The first thing you need to do is give us the exact model number of your
machine for example Pavilion a810n etc... so that you can download all
of the 64 bit device drivers for your hardware BEFORE you upgrade to the
new OS. Additionally, you have think about what external devices are
attached to your computer. For example, what printers are attached etc.
You will need 64 bit printers drivers as well.

As for other questions that you may have, *** please read as many of the
others have experienced ***.

HTH,

- --
Steve Thompson
Key ID: 0x495F423B http://pgpkeys.telering.at
CBEC CFA9 94DB B835 5B86 4F7B 5EFF 6369 495F 423B

Randy

Charlie,

If in #2 below, his copy is retail, then although he can switch it to
another system, that version of XP doesn't qualify for the exchange program
anyway, correct?

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> 1.) There is no direct exchange from home to x64 Edition, only from
> Professional. Further, be _very_ sure your machine will support x64

Edition
> before you buy it or exchange for it. See
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/6...e/default.mspx for more on

the
> Technology Advancement Program.
>
> 2.) Whether you have a legal right to transfer the operating system from

one
> machine to another varies depending on what the original source of the

copy
> is. If it came pre-installed on a computer, it stays with that computer.
> Period. It may not be transfered. If it is a retail copy, you may

uninstall
> it and transfer it to another machine. If it's a system builder copy,

bought
> with qualifying hardware, then it stays with the qualifying hardware

(which
> I've seen defined as a mouse in some cases.)
>
> 3.) Windows XP Professional x64 Edition is a shipping product, and has

been
> for two months now. So yes, it is legal to sell it, assuming it is sold

with
> qualifying hardware. No retail boxed version of x64 Edition is available.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/
>

> Hector wrote:
> > Since there are MS representatives helping to answer our questions
> > here I have a couple of them:
> >
> > I bought a HP Pavillion that has Windows XP home edition.
> > This is a second computer. I already have a computer with Windows XP
> > Pro.
> > I want to uninstall the operating system from the first system and
> > transfer it to my new system for a couple of reasons but file
> > encryption is one of them.
> > After I do that do I qualify to participate in the Technology
> > Advancement Program?
> >
> > My second question has to do with the following: There are
> > advertisements in a local computer magazine that is selling the
> > Windows XP 64 bit edition for about $20.00 more than XP Pro. I
> > thought that we were dealing with a beta program and that is was
> > still not available to the general market. I have not seen bit
> > computer outlets advertise it. So what's up?
> > Is it legal to be selling those copies?
> >
> > Thanks

Charlie Russel - MVP

Well, that's kind of a grey area, and one I'm not sure I know the official
answer to. I would speculate that it wouldn't, actually, matter which XP Pro
Retail he traded in. But again, ONLY retail can move around, so OEM and
system builder are pretty much stuck with their machine. So if only the
non-Home Edition machine was retail, it wouldn't do you much good if you need
to have a copy on the machine that currently is running Home Edition, since
you wouldn't then have anything to replace the one that's on the current XP
Pro machine.

--

Randy wrote:
> Charlie,
>
> If in #2 below, his copy is retail, then although he can switch it to
> another system, that version of XP doesn't qualify for the exchange
> program anyway, correct?
>
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> 1.) There is no direct exchange from home to x64 Edition, only from
>> Professional. Further, be _very_ sure your machine will support x64
>> Edition before you buy it or exchange for it. See
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/6...e/default.mspx for
>> more on the Technology Advancement Program.
>>
>> 2.) Whether you have a legal right to transfer the operating system
>> from one machine to another varies depending on what the original
>> source of the copy is. If it came pre-installed on a computer, it
>> stays with that computer. Period. It may not be transfered. If it is
>> a retail copy, you may uninstall it and transfer it to another
>> machine. If it's a system builder copy, bought with qualifying
>> hardware, then it stays with the qualifying hardware (which I've
>> seen defined as a mouse in some cases.)
>>
>> 3.) Windows XP Professional x64 Edition is a shipping product, and
>> has been for two months now. So yes, it is legal to sell it,
>> assuming it is sold with qualifying hardware. No retail boxed
>> version of x64 Edition is available.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/
>>

>> Hector wrote:
>>> Since there are MS representatives helping to answer our questions
>>> here I have a couple of them:
>>>
>>> I bought a HP Pavillion that has Windows XP home edition.
>>> This is a second computer. I already have a computer with Windows XP
>>> Pro.
>>> I want to uninstall the operating system from the first system and
>>> transfer it to my new system for a couple of reasons but file
>>> encryption is one of them.
>>> After I do that do I qualify to participate in the Technology
>>> Advancement Program?
>>>
>>> My second question has to do with the following: There are
>>> advertisements in a local computer magazine that is selling the
>>> Windows XP 64 bit edition for about $20.00 more than XP Pro. I
>>> thought that we were dealing with a beta program and that is was
>>> still not available to the general market. I have not seen bit
>>> computer outlets advertise it. So what's up?
>>> Is it legal to be selling those copies?
>>>
>>> Thanks

Joseph Conway [MSFT]

Retail Pro only is exchangeable. Once you exchange it, that installation
is invalidated and wont work post the exchange date (well, it wont
activate).

So, you can use whatever XP Pro retail copy you like, but once it is
exchanged, thats it. No going back. I recommend using the trial to make
sure you know what works and doesnt work prior to installing x64 as your
main OS.

As for the retailing of x64, its not a retail product so you wont ever see
it "on the shelf" at major retailers. It can only be purchased via OEMs
with the right to sell it (typically with a piece of hardware).

confused! Dennis J. Tuchler Firefox 4 05-19-2005 12:04 AM
Thunderbird 1.0 got confused with news 'Captain' Kirk DeHaan Firefox 0 12-24-2004 08:16 PM
Utterly confused - web, sql tables what to use for development? RichGK ASP .Net 1 07-31-2004 05:16 AM
Confused and bewildered. DJ Miller ASP .Net 4 09-04-2003 06:10 PM
Confused. Need Help! Cobra Pilot Perl 1 07-22-2003 03:21 PM

Advertisments