Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Performance Counters

Performance Counters

=?Utf-8?B?QnJlbnQgTWlsbHM=?=

Does anyone know if performance counters installed by 32 bit apps are
supposed to show up in 2003 x64? More specifically has anyone gotten sql
2000 performance counters to show up in x64?

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Try here:
microsoft.public.sqlserver.server
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"Brent Mills" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does anyone know if performance counters installed by 32 bit apps are
> supposed to show up in 2003 x64? More specifically has anyone gotten sql
> 2000 performance counters to show up in x64?

=?Utf-8?B?QnJlbnQgTWlsbHM=?=

Thanks, I've already read most of the posts there. I'm just to the point
where I'm wondering if x64 supports performance counters from any 32 bit app
at all.

"Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:

> Try here:
> microsoft.public.sqlserver.server
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>
> "Brent Mills" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Does anyone know if performance counters installed by 32 bit apps are
> > supposed to show up in 2003 x64? More specifically has anyone gotten sql
> > 2000 performance counters to show up in x64?

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Probably Joseph, Mike or Charlie can give you pointers, its just that I
don't think a lot of persons are running SQL Server on x64 although persons
in this same group have reported running SQL on x64.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"Brent Mills" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks, I've already read most of the posts there. I'm just to the point
> where I'm wondering if x64 supports performance counters from any 32 bit
> app
> at all.
>

> "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:
>
>> Try here:
>> microsoft.public.sqlserver.server
>> --
>> Andre
>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>>
>> "Brent Mills" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Does anyone know if performance counters installed by 32 bit apps are
>> > supposed to show up in 2003 x64? More specifically has anyone gotten
>> > sql
>> > 2000 performance counters to show up in x64?

Ricardo Costa

It should work. Sometimes you have to add /usepmtimer to your boot.ini so
the counters work correctly, especially if you use Cool&Quiet/SpeedStep.
--
Ricardo Costa

"Brent Mills" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks, I've already read most of the posts there. I'm just to the point
> where I'm wondering if x64 supports performance counters from any 32 bit
> app
> at all.
>

> "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:
>
>> Try here:
>> microsoft.public.sqlserver.server
>> --
>> Andre
>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>>
>> "Brent Mills" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Does anyone know if performance counters installed by 32 bit apps are
>> > supposed to show up in 2003 x64? More specifically has anyone gotten
>> > sql
>> > 2000 performance counters to show up in x64?

=?Utf-8?B?QnJlbnQgTWlsbHM=?=

Heh, well I feel stupid. I apparently missed this in the event log...

Windows cannot open the 32-bit extensible counter DLL MSSQLSERVER in a
64-bit environment. Contact the file vendor to obtain a 64-bit version.
Alternatively, you can open the 32-bit extensible counter DLL by using the
32-bit version of Performance Monitor. To use this tool, open the Windows
folder, open the Syswow64 folder, and then start Perfmon.exe.

Thanks for your advice though!

"Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:

> Probably Joseph, Mike or Charlie can give you pointers, its just that I
> don't think a lot of persons are running SQL Server on x64 although persons
> in this same group have reported running SQL on x64.
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>
> "Brent Mills" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Thanks, I've already read most of the posts there. I'm just to the point
> > where I'm wondering if x64 supports performance counters from any 32 bit
> > app
> > at all.
> >

> > "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:
> >
> >> Try here:
> >> microsoft.public.sqlserver.server
> >> --
> >> Andre
> >>
> >> "Brent Mills" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Charlie Russel - MVP

Brent -- Since SQL Server is still 32-bit software (that will change whenever
they finally ship the new version), it needs to interact with 32-bit perfmon.
In x64 Edition, we often have both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of programs
such as perfmon (and Internet Explorer, and even Windows Explorer. This is an
enabling or "bridge" environment at this point, but it does help as the world
moves to 64bit. Something that won't happen overnight.

--
Charlie.
http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/

Brent Mills wrote:
> Heh, well I feel stupid. I apparently missed this in the event log...
>
> Windows cannot open the 32-bit extensible counter DLL MSSQLSERVER in a
> 64-bit environment. Contact the file vendor to obtain a 64-bit
> version. Alternatively, you can open the 32-bit extensible counter
> DLL by using the 32-bit version of Performance Monitor. To use this
> tool, open the Windows folder, open the Syswow64 folder, and then
> start Perfmon.exe.
>
> Thanks for your advice though!
>
> "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:
>
>> Probably Joseph, Mike or Charlie can give you pointers, its just
>> that I don't think a lot of persons are running SQL Server on x64
>> although persons in this same group have reported running SQL on x64.
>> --
>> Andre
>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>> FAQ for MS AntiSpy
>>
>> "Brent Mills" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Thanks, I've already read most of the posts there. I'm just to the
>>> point where I'm wondering if x64 supports performance counters from
>>> any 32 bit app
>>> at all.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

I was just going to say, I thought Microsoft released a 64 bit version of
SQL, but I just remembered that was for Itanium.