Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > XP 64 and USB 2.0 Hard Disks

XP 64 and USB 2.0 Hard Disks

=?Utf-8?B?a3N1eHRj?=

When I plug in my USB 2.0 Hard Disk into my XP 64 computer, the computer
detects the hardware, then BSOD. After researching the error code from the
BSOD, I found a Microsoft article that describes the error exactly, except it
is in reference to XP 32-bit. This was an issue on XP 32-bit, SP2 corrected
the issue, but apparently a similar fix has not yet been implemented into XP
64-bit. Here is the article: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=331988

When can we expect a fix for this issue?

Notes: the USB 2.0 Hard Disk works on the same exact hardware as mentioned
above with XP 32-bit installed and I verified the same issue occurs on 2
other XP 64-bit systems as well.

Sam Crawford

On 1-Jul-2005, =?Utf-8?B?a3N1eHRj?= <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> When I plug in my USB 2.0 Hard Disk into my XP 64 computer, the computer
> detects the hardware, then BSOD

What kind of hard disk?

I have a Western Digital external hard disk and it works fine as a firewire
disk. The device manager cannot find a driver for the USB portion of the
disk.

Intel_Fan

The article suggests that this is independent of controller model but most
of us probably have multiple devices without experiencing this. I've heard
of cases where the controller firmware needed an update to cure this type of
problem. Perhaps you should prowl the manufactures web site to see if there
is a firmware update for your device.

"ksuxtc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> When I plug in my USB 2.0 Hard Disk into my XP 64 computer, the computer
> detects the hardware, then BSOD. After researching the error code from

the
> BSOD, I found a Microsoft article that describes the error exactly, except

it
> is in reference to XP 32-bit. This was an issue on XP 32-bit, SP2

corrected
> the issue, but apparently a similar fix has not yet been implemented into

XP
> 64-bit. Here is the article: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=331988
>
> When can we expect a fix for this issue?
>
> Notes: the USB 2.0 Hard Disk works on the same exact hardware as mentioned
> above with XP 32-bit installed and I verified the same issue occurs on 2
> other XP 64-bit systems as well.

Rick

I have a USB 2.0 hard drive that I use with x64 for my backup files and
I have absolutely no problems with it.

ksuxtc wrote:
> When I plug in my USB 2.0 Hard Disk into my XP 64 computer, the computer
> detects the hardware, then BSOD. After researching the error code from the
> BSOD, I found a Microsoft article that describes the error exactly, except it
> is in reference to XP 32-bit. This was an issue on XP 32-bit, SP2 corrected
> the issue, but apparently a similar fix has not yet been implemented into XP
> 64-bit. Here is the article: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=331988
>
> When can we expect a fix for this issue?
>
> Notes: the USB 2.0 Hard Disk works on the same exact hardware as mentioned
> above with XP 32-bit installed and I verified the same issue occurs on 2
> other XP 64-bit systems as well.

John Barnes

Mine works too, both with the USB 2.0 and 1394 connections.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a USB 2.0 hard drive that I use with x64 for my backup files and I
>have absolutely no problems with it.
>

> ksuxtc wrote:
>> When I plug in my USB 2.0 Hard Disk into my XP 64 computer, the computer
>> detects the hardware, then BSOD. After researching the error code from
>> the BSOD, I found a Microsoft article that describes the error exactly,
>> except it is in reference to XP 32-bit. This was an issue on XP 32-bit,
>> SP2 corrected the issue, but apparently a similar fix has not yet been
>> implemented into XP 64-bit. Here is the article:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=331988
>>
>> When can we expect a fix for this issue?
>>
>> Notes: the USB 2.0 Hard Disk works on the same exact hardware as
>> mentioned above with XP 32-bit installed and I verified the same issue
>> occurs on 2 other XP 64-bit systems as well.

NNBXX

Same here, no problem at all with my USB 2.0 external HDD. I guess your
enclosure itself has a problem, the issue is not whether you run x64 or not.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a USB 2.0 hard drive that I use with x64 for my backup files and I
>have absolutely no problems with it.
>

> ksuxtc wrote:
>> When I plug in my USB 2.0 Hard Disk into my XP 64 computer, the computer
>> detects the hardware, then BSOD. After researching the error code from
>> the BSOD, I found a Microsoft article that describes the error exactly,
>> except it is in reference to XP 32-bit. This was an issue on XP 32-bit,
>> SP2 corrected the issue, but apparently a similar fix has not yet been
>> implemented into XP 64-bit. Here is the article:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=331988
>>
>> When can we expect a fix for this issue?
>>
>> Notes: the USB 2.0 Hard Disk works on the same exact hardware as
>> mentioned above with XP 32-bit installed and I verified the same issue
>> occurs on 2 other XP 64-bit systems as well.

=?Utf-8?B?a3N1eHRj?=

I have checked on a firmware update, and was told by MassCool's tech support
to not expect it anytime soon. One other thing I didn't write before, my
various USB 2.0 flash memory sticks all work fine on x64.

I'm a little confused by this statement though: "I guess your
enclosure itself has a problem, the issue is not whether you run x64 or not."

If x64 isn't the issue, then why does the same USB 2.0 HDD work on the same
computer running XP 32-bit? I think that in itself proves it's an OS issue
with this hardware, not the hardware itself, because out of the many Linux
distros and XP 32-bit that I have run on my computer, x64 is the only one to
have any problems with this USB 2.0 HDD.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I guess I'm outta luck.

"NNBXX" wrote:

> Same here, no problem at all with my USB 2.0 external HDD. I guess your
> enclosure itself has a problem, the issue is not whether you run x64 or not.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have a USB 2.0 hard drive that I use with x64 for my backup files and I
> >have absolutely no problems with it.
> >

> > ksuxtc wrote:
> >> When I plug in my USB 2.0 Hard Disk into my XP 64 computer, the computer
> >> detects the hardware, then BSOD. After researching the error code from
> >> the BSOD, I found a Microsoft article that describes the error exactly,
> >> except it is in reference to XP 32-bit. This was an issue on XP 32-bit,
> >> SP2 corrected the issue, but apparently a similar fix has not yet been
> >> implemented into XP 64-bit. Here is the article:
> >>
> >> When can we expect a fix for this issue?
> >>
> >> Notes: the USB 2.0 Hard Disk works on the same exact hardware as
> >> mentioned above with XP 32-bit installed and I verified the same issue
> >> occurs on 2 other XP 64-bit systems as well.

Rick

The fact that you have an issue in one OS an not another doesn't prove
anything.

ksuxtc wrote:
> I have checked on a firmware update, and was told by MassCool's tech support
> to not expect it anytime soon. One other thing I didn't write before, my
> various USB 2.0 flash memory sticks all work fine on x64.
>
> I'm a little confused by this statement though: "I guess your
> enclosure itself has a problem, the issue is not whether you run x64 or not."
>
> If x64 isn't the issue, then why does the same USB 2.0 HDD work on the same
> computer running XP 32-bit? I think that in itself proves it's an OS issue
> with this hardware, not the hardware itself, because out of the many Linux
> distros and XP 32-bit that I have run on my computer, x64 is the only one to
> have any problems with this USB 2.0 HDD.
>
> Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I guess I'm outta luck.
>
> "NNBXX" wrote:
>

>>Same here, no problem at all with my USB 2.0 external HDD. I guess your
>>enclosure itself has a problem, the issue is not whether you run x64 or not.
>>
>>"Rick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>>I have a USB 2.0 hard drive that I use with x64 for my backup files and I
>>>have absolutely no problems with it.

Intel_Fan

one more idea and it may be a long shot. Unplug all (or as many as you can)
of your USB devices and Uninstall your USB controllers through Device
Manager. Reboot and let the OS re-detect and re-install the drivers. This
should only be required IF X64 didn't detect that your controllers were USB2
and you installed motherboard resource drivers that didn't re-detect the USB
hardware. This was a problem back with W2K and really shouldn't still apply
but I'd try it before giving up or swapping the drive into a different
external case.

"ksuxtc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have checked on a firmware update, and was told by MassCool's tech

support
> to not expect it anytime soon. One other thing I didn't write before, my
> various USB 2.0 flash memory sticks all work fine on x64.
>
> I'm a little confused by this statement though: "I guess your
> enclosure itself has a problem, the issue is not whether you run x64 or

not."

> If x64 isn't the issue, then why does the same USB 2.0 HDD work on the

same
> computer running XP 32-bit? I think that in itself proves it's an OS

issue
> with this hardware, not the hardware itself, because out of the many Linux
> distros and XP 32-bit that I have run on my computer, x64 is the only one

> have any problems with this USB 2.0 HDD.
>
> Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I guess I'm outta luck.

Dennis Pack

I have multiple external hard drive enclosures. Buslink and Coolmax have no
problems. A BYTECC with a cooling fan gets a BSOD with a hard drive but not
with a DVD burner. I also have a Plumax that looks identical to the BYTECC
but works fine with a hard drive and has a cooling fan. I haven't been able
to find another Plumax in over a year, but I don't need anymore enclosures
at this time.