Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Rant time...

Rant time...

M. Murcek

I also like the new SFF stuff - but there's no way to stuff a dual Opteron
into it with lots of RAM, and I sure don't want the mess of a pile of USB2
or 1394 outboard peripherals.

"Thomas Steffen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e%(E-Mail Removed)...
> M. Murcek wrote:
>> Here's the rant: All the cases on the market today look absurd.

> The Mac Mini has the only nice case I have seen so far. But the computing
> power is so amazingly disappointing, that I just can't decide to buy one.
>
> Yes, I like small form factor cases, but on the PC side you usually get a
> noise problem included, plus expansion space is limited.
>
>> Anyone able to recommend a capacious full tower that won't offend my
>> stodgy sensibilities of what a computer should look like?

> Sun? I think they look ok.
>
> Or just get a computer desk that does a good job at hiding the case.
>
> Thomas

M. Murcek

I could always go to a USB floppy (only need it very rarely) lose the ZIP
drive and replace it with a media card reader, then I only need 5 accessible
5 1/4 bays, 2 for HDDs (I like to mount them in the Antec heat sink /
coolers with temp readouts) and 1 each for CDRW / DVD reader and dual layer
DVD writer (soon to be obsolesced by HD DVD)

"M. Murcek" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> This has nothing to do with x64, but since lots of the people posting here
> build their own machines, I thought somebody here might be able to help.
>
> My x64 pc resides in a huge PC Power & Cooling tower case. It's as plain
> as you can imagine - a tall, very heavy duty white box with 8 accessible 5
> /14 drive bays, a power switch and a reset switch. PC Power & Cooling now
> makes only power supplies. Also, every time I have swap a peripheral out
> of this case, I miss the nice tool-less features of lots of newer cases
> like Enlight's.
>
> Here's the rant: All the cases on the market today look absurd. I know
> that it's what the hip crowd wants, but it reminds me of the line in the
> old John Prine song "Looks like a 'lectric shaver now where the courthouse
> used to be..."
>
> Anyone able to recommend a capacious full tower that won't offend my
> stodgy sensibilities of what a computer should look like?

Charlie Russel - MVP

The issue is your desire to fit a dual opteron in there. That means an
extended ATX case, somewhat larger than a standard mobo. Otherwise, I'd say
the new Antec P-180 would be a perfect fit for you. Go with a 3 1/2 "
floppy+card reader device, and you don't need a 5 1/4 for that. 1 for the
DVD, one for the DVD/CDRW, and if you must have 5 1/2 accessible bays for
your HDs then you only need a total of 4 bays.

--
Charlie.
http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/

M. Murcek wrote:
> I could always go to a USB floppy (only need it very rarely) lose the
> ZIP drive and replace it with a media card reader, then I only need 5
> accessible 5 1/4 bays, 2 for HDDs (I like to mount them in the Antec
> heat sink / coolers with temp readouts) and 1 each for CDRW / DVD
> reader and dual layer DVD writer (soon to be obsolesced by HD DVD)
>
> "M. Murcek" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> This has nothing to do with x64, but since lots of the people
>> posting here build their own machines, I thought somebody here might
>> be able to help. My x64 pc resides in a huge PC Power & Cooling tower
>> case. It's as
>> plain as you can imagine - a tall, very heavy duty white box with 8
>> accessible 5 /14 drive bays, a power switch and a reset switch. PC
>> Power & Cooling now makes only power supplies. Also, every time I
>> have swap a peripheral out of this case, I miss the nice tool-less
>> features of lots of newer cases like Enlight's.
>>
>> Here's the rant: All the cases on the market today look absurd. I
>> know that it's what the hip crowd wants, but it reminds me of the
>> line in the old John Prine song "Looks like a 'lectric shaver now
>> where the courthouse used to be..."
>>
>> Anyone able to recommend a capacious full tower that won't offend my
>> stodgy sensibilities of what a computer should look like?

Ron Bogart

Antec - can't beat 'em. Mine is plain - black - full of cooling fans -
screw-less - plain jane container that works great!

--
Ron Bogart {} τΏτ¬
Associate Expert

In news:%(E-Mail Removed),
M. Murcek <(E-Mail Removed)> did some thinking and came up with
these words:
> This has nothing to do with x64, but since lots of the people posting
> here build their own machines, I thought somebody here might be able
> to help.
> My x64 pc resides in a huge PC Power & Cooling tower case. It's as
> plain as you can imagine - a tall, very heavy duty white box with 8
> accessible 5 /14 drive bays, a power switch and a reset switch. PC
> Power & Cooling now makes only power supplies. Also, every time I
> have swap a peripheral out of this case, I miss the nice tool-less
> features of lots of newer cases like Enlight's.
>
> Here's the rant: All the cases on the market today look absurd. I
> know that it's what the hip crowd wants, but it reminds me of the
> line in the old John Prine song "Looks like a 'lectric shaver now
> where the courthouse used to be..."
>
> Anyone able to recommend a capacious full tower that won't offend my
> stodgy sensibilities of what a computer should look like?

=?Utf-8?B?bXJuYXRoYW4=?=

I use the coolermaster wavemaster, very sexy, very simple, doesnt have a side
window, all aluminium ,very high quality build, not huge though, if your
after huge try the coolermaster stacker, very practical, again very high
build quality and has brilliant airflow, and has something like 10 accesable
5 1/4 drive bays

"Peter Lawton" wrote:

> It's hard enough to find a case now without a see through side panel and
> neon lights. Can't even buy a fan without the damn lights!
>
> Peter Lawton
>
> "M. Murcek" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > This has nothing to do with x64, but since lots of the people posting here
> > build their own machines, I thought somebody here might be able to help.
> >
> > My x64 pc resides in a huge PC Power & Cooling tower case. It's as plain
> > as you can imagine - a tall, very heavy duty white box with 8 accessible 5
> > /14 drive bays, a power switch and a reset switch. PC Power & Cooling now
> > makes only power supplies. Also, every time I have swap a peripheral out
> > of this case, I miss the nice tool-less features of lots of newer cases
> > like Enlight's.
> >
> > Here's the rant: All the cases on the market today look absurd. I know
> > that it's what the hip crowd wants, but it reminds me of the line in the
> > old John Prine song "Looks like a 'lectric shaver now where the courthouse
> > used to be..."
> >
> > Anyone able to recommend a capacious full tower that won't offend my
> > stodgy sensibilities of what a computer should look like?

Bruce Chambers

mrnathan wrote:
> I use the coolermaster wavemaster, very sexy, ......

How can a computer case possibly be considered "sexy?" The mere
thought is quite disturbing.... ;-}

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Colin Barnhorst

You have to take special precautions with the sexy cases. For example, to
prevent viruses, leave the plastic sleeve on the floppy diskette when
inserting it into the drive. That helps to prevent the spread of unwanted
data.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...