Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Newbie to 64

Newbie to 64

Colin Barnhorst

Hi all! Just ordered a CyberPower system with an Athlon 64 x2 (4400) and XP
x64 preinstalled. I'm not kicking my P4 system off the Island but moving it
to helper mode and Virtual PC stuff. I am just starting to read this ng and
look forward to great ideas from you all. And, oh btw, hi Andre.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Hi Colin, glad you could be with us. When is Virtual PC going to be
supported on x64?
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all! Just ordered a CyberPower system with an Athlon 64 x2 (4400) and
> XP x64 preinstalled. I'm not kicking my P4 system off the Island but
> moving it to helper mode and Virtual PC stuff. I am just starting to read
> this ng and look forward to great ideas from you all. And, oh btw, hi
> Andre.

Colin Barnhorst

No news on VPC x64 (or whatever it will be called) which can be discussed.
Since Virtual Server SP1 beta supports hosting VS on Server 2003 x64 one
hopes VPC can be hosted on XP x64 sooner rather than later. In the interim
I suppose one can try out the VS SP1 beta on XP x64 and see how it goes with
various guest OS's. (That assumes access to Virtual Server 2005, of
course). VPC for x64 is probably not as critical an issue as getting the
server side going anyway. But it would be really nice to have.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Colin, glad you could be with us. When is Virtual PC going to be
> supported on x64?
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi all! Just ordered a CyberPower system with an Athlon 64 x2 (4400) and
>> XP x64 preinstalled. I'm not kicking my P4 system off the Island but
>> moving it to helper mode and Virtual PC stuff. I am just starting to
>> read this ng and look forward to great ideas from you all. And, oh btw,
>> hi Andre.
>>
>> --

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Yeah, I know about Virtual Server 2005 but its not an interface I'm pleased
with. I love the console approach of Virtual PC 2004.

People can access the beta build of Virtual Server 2005 SP1 here:
Download Virtual Server 2005 SP1:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...n/sp1beta.mspx

Remember, its beta:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...r/default.mspx
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> No news on VPC x64 (or whatever it will be called) which can be discussed.
> Since Virtual Server SP1 beta supports hosting VS on Server 2003 x64 one
> hopes VPC can be hosted on XP x64 sooner rather than later. In the
> interim I suppose one can try out the VS SP1 beta on XP x64 and see how it
> goes with various guest OS's. (That assumes access to Virtual Server
> 2005, of course). VPC for x64 is probably not as critical an issue as
> getting the server side going anyway. But it would be really nice to
> have.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi Colin, glad you could be with us. When is Virtual PC going to be
>> supported on x64?
>> --
>> Andre
>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>>
>> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi all! Just ordered a CyberPower system with an Athlon 64 x2 (4400)
>>> and XP x64 preinstalled. I'm not kicking my P4 system off the Island
>>> but moving it to helper mode and Virtual PC stuff. I am just starting
>>> to read this ng and look forward to great ideas from you all. And, oh
>>> btw, hi Andre.
>>>
>>> --

Christian Hougardy

Colin Barnhorst <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote:
> No news on VPC x64 (or whatever it will be called) which can be
> discussed. Since Virtual Server SP1 beta supports hosting VS on
> Server 2003 x64 one hopes VPC can be hosted on XP x64 sooner rather
> than later. In the interim I suppose one can try out the VS SP1 beta
> on XP x64 and see how it goes with various guest OS's. (That assumes
> access to Virtual Server 2005, of course). VPC for x64 is probably
> not as critical an issue as getting the server side going anyway. But it
> would be really nice to have.

Hi Colin

It's working well, shame I cannot install any x64 OS, just have to wait a
bit for that, otherwise, Virtual Server, once you know how to do it, is
great

Cheers

--
Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
(Ruiselde - Belgium)

Colin Barnhorst

Well the interface is for management. You're supposed to be configuring
your server, not listening to MP3's, but I know what you mean. It just
doesn't look like a desktop is 'supposed' to look. I can live with that
until VPC goes 64.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yeah, I know about Virtual Server 2005 but its not an interface I'm
> pleased with. I love the console approach of Virtual PC 2004.
>
> People can access the beta build of Virtual Server 2005 SP1 here:
> Download Virtual Server 2005 SP1:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...n/sp1beta.mspx
>
> Remember, its beta:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...r/default.mspx
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> No news on VPC x64 (or whatever it will be called) which can be
>> discussed. Since Virtual Server SP1 beta supports hosting VS on Server
>> 2003 x64 one hopes VPC can be hosted on XP x64 sooner rather than later.
>> In the interim I suppose one can try out the VS SP1 beta on XP x64 and
>> see how it goes with various guest OS's. (That assumes access to Virtual
>> Server 2005, of course). VPC for x64 is probably not as critical an
>> issue as getting the server side going anyway. But it would be really
>> nice to have.
>>
>> --
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi Colin, glad you could be with us. When is Virtual PC going to be
>>> supported on x64?
>>> --
>>> Andre
>>>
>>> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

NNBXX

Hi Christian,

Glad to have you here again after your move to Belgium

Best Regards,

Jean-Baptiste

"Christian Hougardy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Colin Barnhorst <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote:
>> No news on VPC x64 (or whatever it will be called) which can be
>> discussed. Since Virtual Server SP1 beta supports hosting VS on
>> Server 2003 x64 one hopes VPC can be hosted on XP x64 sooner rather
>> than later. In the interim I suppose one can try out the VS SP1 beta
>> on XP x64 and see how it goes with various guest OS's. (That assumes
>> access to Virtual Server 2005, of course). VPC for x64 is probably
>> not as critical an issue as getting the server side going anyway. But it
>> would be really nice to have.

> Hi Colin
>
> It's working well, shame I cannot install any x64 OS, just have to wait a
> bit for that, otherwise, Virtual Server, once you know how to do it, is
> great
>
> Cheers
>
> --
> Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
> (Ruiselde - Belgium)

Christian Hougardy

NNBXX <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi Christian,
>
> Glad to have you here again after your move to Belgium
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Jean-Baptiste

Thanks Jean-Baptiste, still need some sleep and I'm using my laptop until my
desktop arrives, but for the rest, it's ok

Cheers

--
Christian Hougardy
(Ruiselde - Belgium)

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Great to have you back with us Christian! Anyway, I don't think Microsoft
will support Windows XP Professional x64 or any future of versions of
Windows x64 as a guest OS, because I think it has something do with
virtualizing the CPU to support it and that would probably cause some
licensing issues and make AMD or Intel upset, because it would seem as if
Microsoft is lowering their market.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"Christian Hougardy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Colin Barnhorst <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote:
>> No news on VPC x64 (or whatever it will be called) which can be
>> discussed. Since Virtual Server SP1 beta supports hosting VS on
>> Server 2003 x64 one hopes VPC can be hosted on XP x64 sooner rather
>> than later. In the interim I suppose one can try out the VS SP1 beta
>> on XP x64 and see how it goes with various guest OS's. (That assumes
>> access to Virtual Server 2005, of course). VPC for x64 is probably
>> not as critical an issue as getting the server side going anyway. But it
>> would be really nice to have.

> Hi Colin
>
> It's working well, shame I cannot install any x64 OS, just have to wait a
> bit for that, otherwise, Virtual Server, once you know how to do it, is
> great
>
> Cheers
>
> --
> Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
> (Ruiselde - Belgium)

Colin Barnhorst

Why wouldn't the same issues exist with 32-bit processors already? In any
case, both Intel and AMD are working on virtualization support in their
future cpu's so they can hardly be concerned. I think it is a matter of
time and priorities until x64 is supported as a guest. And then there
would be the question of what hardware to emulate and write 64-bit drivers.
Anyway, I certainly would like to see some 64-bit *nix's running in Windows
x64 (just for the fun of it, don't you know).

news:(E-Mail Removed)...