Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Does XP PRO 64 support 2 x dual core processors?

Does XP PRO 64 support 2 x dual core processors?

=?Utf-8?B?TWFyaw==?=

As per Microsofts: 5 reasons to go windows x64.

Under the sub heading: Multiprocessing and Multicore.
"Windows Xp Professional x64 Edition is designed to support up to two single
or multicore x64 processors for maximum performance and scalability."

Is this correct ? As I have read in the media that in Windows Server 2003
x64 the windows task manager will detect 4 CPUs (2 x Dual Core) as will the
bios. Is this only particular to Windows Server 64 as a Windows white paper
on x64 states that XP PRO x64 can only support 2 CPUs . Does XP PRO x64 deal
with multicore in a different way?
I would like to put together a 2 x Dual Core Opteron workstaion with XP PRO
x64 but it would be great if someone could clarify this bit of confusion for
me.

Many thanks.. Mark

M. Murcek

Yes. 2 dual cores will look like 4 cpus. This got started when Intel
brought about hyperthreading, and MS said for licensing purposes they would
count sockets, not cores or apparent cores.

news(E-Mail Removed)...
> As per Microsofts: 5 reasons to go windows x64.
>
> Under the sub heading: Multiprocessing and Multicore.
> "Windows Xp Professional x64 Edition is designed to support up to two
> single
> or multicore x64 processors for maximum performance and scalability."
>
> Is this correct ? As I have read in the media that in Windows Server 2003
> x64 the windows task manager will detect 4 CPUs (2 x Dual Core) as will
> the
> bios. Is this only particular to Windows Server 64 as a Windows white
> paper
> on x64 states that XP PRO x64 can only support 2 CPUs . Does XP PRO x64
> deal
> with multicore in a different way?
> I would like to put together a 2 x Dual Core Opteron workstaion with XP
> PRO
> x64 but it would be great if someone could clarify this bit of confusion
> for
> me.
>
> Many thanks.. Mark

=?Utf-8?B?TWFyaw==?=

Thank you M.
Can I just clarify that by Yes (full stop) you mean XP x64 will suppot 2
dual cores.

"M. Murcek" wrote:

> Yes. 2 dual cores will look like 4 cpus. This got started when Intel
> brought about hyperthreading, and MS said for licensing purposes they would
> count sockets, not cores or apparent cores.
>
> "Mark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
> > As per Microsofts: 5 reasons to go windows x64.
> >
> > Under the sub heading: Multiprocessing and Multicore.
> > "Windows Xp Professional x64 Edition is designed to support up to two
> > single
> > or multicore x64 processors for maximum performance and scalability."
> >
> > Is this correct ? As I have read in the media that in Windows Server 2003
> > x64 the windows task manager will detect 4 CPUs (2 x Dual Core) as will
> > the
> > bios. Is this only particular to Windows Server 64 as a Windows white
> > paper
> > on x64 states that XP PRO x64 can only support 2 CPUs . Does XP PRO x64
> > deal
> > with multicore in a different way?
> > I would like to put together a 2 x Dual Core Opteron workstaion with XP
> > PRO
> > x64 but it would be great if someone could clarify this bit of confusion
> > for
> > me.
> >
> > Many thanks.. Mark

Thomas G. Madsen

M. Murcek wrote:

> Yes. 2 dual cores will look like 4 cpus.

And 8 with HT enabled.

--
Regards
Madsen

Mike Brannigan [MSFT]

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thank you M.
> Can I just clarify that by Yes (full stop) you mean XP x64 will suppot 2
> dual cores.

Yes Windows XP Professional x64 Edition supports 2 CPU SOCKETS - so either
single or dual cores with or without hyperthreading
We only count sockets
--

Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

newsgroups

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thank you M.
> Can I just clarify that by Yes (full stop) you mean XP x64 will suppot 2
> dual cores.
>
> "M. Murcek" wrote:
>
>> Yes. 2 dual cores will look like 4 cpus. This got started when Intel
>> brought about hyperthreading, and MS said for licensing purposes they
>> would
>> count sockets, not cores or apparent cores.
>>
>> "Mark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > As per Microsofts: 5 reasons to go windows x64.
>> >
>> > Under the sub heading: Multiprocessing and Multicore.
>> > "Windows Xp Professional x64 Edition is designed to support up to two
>> > single
>> > or multicore x64 processors for maximum performance and scalability."
>> >
>> > Is this correct ? As I have read in the media that in Windows Server
>> > 2003
>> > x64 the windows task manager will detect 4 CPUs (2 x Dual Core) as will
>> > the
>> > bios. Is this only particular to Windows Server 64 as a Windows white
>> > paper
>> > on x64 states that XP PRO x64 can only support 2 CPUs . Does XP PRO x64
>> > deal
>> > with multicore in a different way?
>> > I would like to put together a 2 x Dual Core Opteron workstaion with
>> > XP
>> > PRO
>> > x64 but it would be great if someone could clarify this bit of
>> > confusion
>> > for
>> > me.
>> >
>> > Many thanks.. Mark

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Here is a great article about it by Charlie Russel:
http://msmvps.com/xperts64/archive/2.../27/56138.aspx
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

news(E-Mail Removed)...
> As per Microsofts: 5 reasons to go windows x64.
>
> Under the sub heading: Multiprocessing and Multicore.
> "Windows Xp Professional x64 Edition is designed to support up to two
> single
> or multicore x64 processors for maximum performance and scalability."
>
> Is this correct ? As I have read in the media that in Windows Server 2003
> x64 the windows task manager will detect 4 CPUs (2 x Dual Core) as will
> the
> bios. Is this only particular to Windows Server 64 as a Windows white
> paper
> on x64 states that XP PRO x64 can only support 2 CPUs . Does XP PRO x64
> deal
> with multicore in a different way?
> I would like to put together a 2 x Dual Core Opteron workstaion with XP
> PRO
> x64 but it would be great if someone could clarify this bit of confusion
> for
> me.
>
> Many thanks.. Mark

=?Utf-8?B?TWFyaw==?=

Thank you all for your help.

Mark

"Mark" wrote:

> As per Microsofts: 5 reasons to go windows x64.
>
> Under the sub heading: Multiprocessing and Multicore.
> "Windows Xp Professional x64 Edition is designed to support up to two single
> or multicore x64 processors for maximum performance and scalability."
>
> Is this correct ? As I have read in the media that in Windows Server 2003
> x64 the windows task manager will detect 4 CPUs (2 x Dual Core) as will the
> bios. Is this only particular to Windows Server 64 as a Windows white paper
> on x64 states that XP PRO x64 can only support 2 CPUs . Does XP PRO x64 deal
> with multicore in a different way?
> I would like to put together a 2 x Dual Core Opteron workstaion with XP PRO
> x64 but it would be great if someone could clarify this bit of confusion for
> me.
>
> Many thanks.. Mark

Charlie Russel - MVP

yes, full stop, it will. See our blog -- I cover this exact question, just as
I did on this very newsgroup last week.

--
Charlie.
http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/

Mark wrote:
> Thank you M.
> Can I just clarify that by Yes (full stop) you mean XP x64 will
> suppot 2 dual cores.
>
> "M. Murcek" wrote:
>
>> Yes. 2 dual cores will look like 4 cpus. This got started when Intel
>> brought about hyperthreading, and MS said for licensing purposes
>> they would count sockets, not cores or apparent cores.
>>
>> "Mark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> As per Microsofts: 5 reasons to go windows x64.
>>>
>>> Under the sub heading: Multiprocessing and Multicore.
>>> "Windows Xp Professional x64 Edition is designed to support up to
>>> two single
>>> or multicore x64 processors for maximum performance and
>>> scalability."
>>>
>>> Is this correct ? As I have read in the media that in Windows
>>> Server 2003 x64 the windows task manager will detect 4 CPUs (2 x
>>> Dual Core) as will the
>>> bios. Is this only particular to Windows Server 64 as a Windows
>>> white paper
>>> on x64 states that XP PRO x64 can only support 2 CPUs . Does XP PRO
>>> x64 deal
>>> with multicore in a different way?
>>> I would like to put together a 2 x Dual Core Opteron workstaion
>>> with XP PRO
>>> x64 but it would be great if someone could clarify this bit of
>>> confusion for
>>> me.
>>>
>>> Many thanks.. Mark

Charlie Russel - MVP

Well, no, not exactly. It will _look_ like 8, but it won't be effectively 8,
since HT is not at all the same as a separate core.

--

Thomas G. Madsen wrote:
> M. Murcek wrote:
>
>> Yes. 2 dual cores will look like 4 cpus.

> And 8 with HT enabled.

Thomas G. Madsen

Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:

> Well, no, not exactly. It will _look_ like 8, but it won't be
> effectively 8, since HT is not at all the same as a separate
> core.

True. What I meant is that it will _look_ like 8.

--
Regards
Madsen