Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > SDLT 600 tapes are not usable

SDLT 600 tapes are not usable

Derek Ragona

I have a server running Windows 2003 standard server with a SCSI SDLT 600
tape drive. I can use the driver that comes with Windows and the drive
works fine, passes all diagnostic tests. But it won't put the media into a
usable media pool so ntbackup will use the tapes. The tapes are added as
unknown media and marked as read only in that media pool. I cannot move the
tapes to a different pool as I get an error that the tape is not writeable.

Is there a way to manually configure the RSM so it has the correct tape
drive paramaters? The drive works and tests to read and write directly
using the manufacturer's diagnostics. But it won't write with backup as the
tapes are not being placed in a usable media pool.

Any help would be appreciated.

-Derek

Derek Ragona

I forgot to mention I am using the x86 version of Windows Server 2003
64-bit.

-Derek

"Derek Ragona" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a server running Windows 2003 standard server with a SCSI SDLT 600
>tape drive. I can use the driver that comes with Windows and the drive
>works fine, passes all diagnostic tests. But it won't put the media into a
>usable media pool so ntbackup will use the tapes. The tapes are added as
>unknown media and marked as read only in that media pool. I cannot move
>the tapes to a different pool as I get an error that the tape is not
>writeable.
>
> Is there a way to manually configure the RSM so it has the correct tape
> drive paramaters? The drive works and tests to read and write directly
> using the manufacturer's diagnostics. But it won't write with backup as
> the tapes are not being placed in a usable media pool.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> -Derek

Charlie Russel - MVP

OK, I give. What in the world is "x86 version of Windows Server 2003 64-bit"

--
Charlie.
http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/

Derek Ragona wrote:
> I forgot to mention I am using the x86 version of Windows Server 2003
> 64-bit.
>
> -Derek
>
> "Derek Ragona" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I have a server running Windows 2003 standard server with a SCSI
>> SDLT 600 tape drive. I can use the driver that comes with Windows
>> and the drive works fine, passes all diagnostic tests. But it won't
>> put the media into a usable media pool so ntbackup will use the
>> tapes. The tapes are added as unknown media and marked as read only
>> in that media pool. I cannot move the tapes to a different pool as
>> I get an error that the tape is not writeable.
>>
>> Is there a way to manually configure the RSM so it has the correct
>> tape drive paramaters? The drive works and tests to read and write
>> directly using the manufacturer's diagnostics. But it won't write
>> with backup as the tapes are not being placed in a usable media pool.
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated.
>>
>> -Derek

M. Murcek

The version that does not run on Itanium? The nomenclature does become
tiring.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> OK, I give. What in the world is "x86 version of Windows Server 2003
> 64-bit"
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/
>

> Derek Ragona wrote:
>> I forgot to mention I am using the x86 version of Windows Server 2003
>> 64-bit.
>>
>> -Derek
>>
>> "Derek Ragona" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I have a server running Windows 2003 standard server with a SCSI
>>> SDLT 600 tape drive. I can use the driver that comes with Windows
>>> and the drive works fine, passes all diagnostic tests. But it won't
>>> put the media into a usable media pool so ntbackup will use the
>>> tapes. The tapes are added as unknown media and marked as read only
>>> in that media pool. I cannot move the tapes to a different pool as
>>> I get an error that the tape is not writeable.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to manually configure the RSM so it has the correct
>>> tape drive paramaters? The drive works and tests to read and write
>>> directly using the manufacturer's diagnostics. But it won't write
>>> with backup as the tapes are not being placed in a usable media pool.
>>>
>>> Any help would be appreciated.
>>>
>>> -Derek

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

I was just going to ask the same thing myself. Microsoft needs to start
promoting these unknown made up versions of Windows.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> OK, I give. What in the world is "x86 version of Windows Server 2003
> 64-bit"
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/
>

> Derek Ragona wrote:
>> I forgot to mention I am using the x86 version of Windows Server 2003
>> 64-bit.
>>
>> -Derek
>>
>> "Derek Ragona" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I have a server running Windows 2003 standard server with a SCSI
>>> SDLT 600 tape drive. I can use the driver that comes with Windows
>>> and the drive works fine, passes all diagnostic tests. But it won't
>>> put the media into a usable media pool so ntbackup will use the
>>> tapes. The tapes are added as unknown media and marked as read only
>>> in that media pool. I cannot move the tapes to a different pool as
>>> I get an error that the tape is not writeable.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to manually configure the RSM so it has the correct
>>> tape drive paramaters? The drive works and tests to read and write
>>> directly using the manufacturer's diagnostics. But it won't write
>>> with backup as the tapes are not being placed in a usable media pool.
>>>
>>> Any help would be appreciated.
>>>
>>> -Derek

Derek Ragona

Well it turns out the real problem was in the driver. The driver interacts
with the Removable Storage Manager and has to be insync with the API and the
stock driver is not. I did get a driver from Quantum that works.

As a bit of information, with drivers it looks like you can use the same
driver accross CPU's, so the same for Itanium, AMD, and Intel BUT not with
out having the corectly "fully decorated" (which is MS terms for properly
labeled) .inf install file. Otherwise the drivers won't load, sayin it is
not for that hardware platform.

Quantum is going to post the complete driver that is for all 64-bit versions
soon. It would be good if Microsoft told the hardware makers to update
their driver installations to cover all 64-bit operating systems.

-Derek

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>I was just going to ask the same thing myself. Microsoft needs to start
>promoting these unknown made up versions of Windows.
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> OK, I give. What in the world is "x86 version of Windows Server 2003
>> 64-bit"
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/
>>

>> Derek Ragona wrote:
>>> I forgot to mention I am using the x86 version of Windows Server 2003
>>> 64-bit.
>>>
>>> -Derek
>>>
>>> "Derek Ragona" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

Charlie Russel - MVP

It's not hard, really. We have "x86" -- that's 32bit. We have "x64" -- thats
amd64 (and EM64T when Intel finally got around to doing it), and "ia64",
that's Itanium.

--

M. Murcek wrote:
> The version that does not run on Itanium? The nomenclature does
> become tiring.
>
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> OK, I give. What in the world is "x86 version of Windows Server 2003
>> 64-bit"
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/
>>

>> Derek Ragona wrote:
>>> I forgot to mention I am using the x86 version of Windows Server
>>> 2003 64-bit.
>>>
>>> -Derek
>>>
>>> "Derek Ragona" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

Charlie Russel - MVP

I think MS has not been at all shy about telling them. The issue is, they
haven't been at all forthcoming with the drivers.