Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Tired with 64-bit version

Tired with 64-bit version

=?Utf-8?B?U3Bvc2Rh?=

Since i don't have 2 boot drives, i'd like to know how to uninstall the
64-bit version and replace it with my 32-bit version of xp? The 64-bit
version was a straight install, not an upgrade.

John Barnes

Since you wiped out your x86 when you installed x64, you have to install
from your CD. When you get to the install phase, select to delete the
current partition and then reformat and reinstall the x86.

"Sposda" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Since i don't have 2 boot drives, i'd like to know how to uninstall the
> 64-bit version and replace it with my 32-bit version of xp? The 64-bit
> version was a straight install, not an upgrade.

=?Utf-8?B?U3Bvc2Rh?=

I have a second drive that i use for storage, can i remove the power to the
main drive and make the other drive a master and then install 32-bit version
of xp on there?

"John Barnes" wrote:

> Since you wiped out your x86 when you installed x64, you have to install
> from your CD. When you get to the install phase, select to delete the
> current partition and then reformat and reinstall the x86.
>

> "Sposda" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Since i don't have 2 boot drives, i'd like to know how to uninstall the
> > 64-bit version and replace it with my 32-bit version of xp? The 64-bit
> > version was a straight install, not an upgrade.

Intel_Fan

Sure but remove both the power and the data cables. An unpowered drive

"Sposda" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a second drive that i use for storage, can i remove the power to the
> main drive and make the other drive a master and then install 32-bit
> version
> of xp on there?
>
> "John Barnes" wrote:
>
>> Since you wiped out your x86 when you installed x64, you have to install
>> from your CD. When you get to the install phase, select to delete the
>> current partition and then reformat and reinstall the x86.
>>

>> "Sposda" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Since i don't have 2 boot drives, i'd like to know how to uninstall the
>> > 64-bit version and replace it with my 32-bit version of xp? The 64-bit
>> > version was a straight install, not an upgrade.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
It may be better to not delete the partition. If you delete the partition,
you have to create a new partition before formatting.
Since the drive letter was used with the old partition, when you create the
new partition, it will get the next available drive letter not the previous
drive letter of the old partition. Drive letters are not re-enumerated
during this process so the old drive or the initial partition is not used.
it will get a new drive letter like F: since there are two drives and
cd-rom I presume.
Simplify formatting the partition should take care of the issue and
preserve the drive lettering.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
<From: "John Barnes" <(E-Mail Removed)>
<Subject: Re: Tired with 64-bit version
<Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 16:37:01 -0700
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
<
<Since you wiped out your x86 when you installed x64, you have to install
<from your CD. When you get to the install phase, select to delete the
<current partition and then reformat and reinstall the x86.
<
<
<"Sposda" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
<news:(E-Mail Removed)...
<> Since i don't have 2 boot drives, i'd like to know how to uninstall the
<> 64-bit version and replace it with my 32-bit version of xp? The 64-bit
<> version was a straight install, not an upgrade.
<
<
<

John Barnes

If you want to keep x64, why don't you just leave it the way it is set up.
You can select the other drive to install on when offered during the
install. Since you will be installing x86 after x64, you should make copies
of the ntldr ntdetect.com before you install x86 and then replace them on
the boot drive after the install. Then you can check the boot.ini in system
properties and set it to boot to the system you want.
"Sposda" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a second drive that i use for storage, can i remove the power to the
> main drive and make the other drive a master and then install 32-bit
> version
> of xp on there?
>
> "John Barnes" wrote:
>
>> Since you wiped out your x86 when you installed x64, you have to install
>> from your CD. When you get to the install phase, select to delete the
>> current partition and then reformat and reinstall the x86.
>>

>> "Sposda" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Since i don't have 2 boot drives, i'd like to know how to uninstall the
>> > 64-bit version and replace it with my 32-bit version of xp? The 64-bit
>> > version was a straight install, not an upgrade.

Charlie Russel - MVP

Ah, that explains much. I actually thought it re-enumerated them. Thanks for
the clarification (and it explains a couple of machines that boot into "H:"
or it's equivalent.)

--
Charlie.
http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" wrote:
> Hello,
> It may be better to not delete the partition. If you delete the
> partition, you have to create a new partition before formatting.
> Since the drive letter was used with the old partition, when you
> create the new partition, it will get the next available drive letter
> not the previous drive letter of the old partition. Drive letters
> are not re-enumerated during this process so the old drive or the
> initial partition is not used. it will get a new drive letter like F:
> since there are two drives and cd-rom I presume.
> Simplify formatting the partition should take care of the issue and
> preserve the drive lettering.
> Thanks,
> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

> rights --------------------
> <From: "John Barnes" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> <Subject: Re: Tired with 64-bit version
> <Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 16:37:01 -0700
> <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
> microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general:9194 <X-Tomcat-NG:
> microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general <
> <Since you wiped out your x86 when you installed x64, you have to
> install <from your CD. When you get to the install phase, select to
> delete the <current partition and then reformat and reinstall the x86.
> <
> <
> <"Sposda" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> <news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> <> Since i don't have 2 boot drives, i'd like to know how to
> uninstall the <> 64-bit version and replace it with my 32-bit version
> of xp? The 64-bit <> version was a straight install, not an upgrade.
> <
> <
> <

Julian Lord [PROneTworks]

Why don't you just install the x86 to the second drive as is ?

This will give you a x86/x64 dual-boot setup -- and as soon as the issues
with the x64 are resolved, you can remove the x86 version by deleting the
folders and editing the boot.ini, leaving you with the x64 only - unless
you're using the trial version of the x64, and don't have a full copy yet ?

Apart from the current drivers issues, language issues, and availability
issues, there's really very little reason NOT to use the x64 IMO, it's
simply a better OS overall... if you can eventually obtain the drivers you
need, the needed MUI package, and of course the RTM CD, why not just try
and stick with it ?

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 04:02:02 +0200, Sposda
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have a second drive that i use for storage, can i remove the power to
> the
> main drive and make the other drive a master and then install 32-bit
> version
> of xp on there?
>
> "John Barnes" wrote:
>
>> Since you wiped out your x86 when you installed x64, you have to install
>> from your CD. When you get to the install phase, select to delete the
>> current partition and then reformat and reinstall the x86.
>>

>> "Sposda" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Since i don't have 2 boot drives, i'd like to know how to uninstall

>> the
>> > 64-bit version and replace it with my 32-bit version of xp? The 64-bit
>> > version was a straight install, not an upgrade.

R. C. White

Me, too!

After lots of hassles which are too much to go into here, my 32-bit WinXP is
now in U:\Windows. :>( And that's even though both C: and D: are unused in
that installation.

Oh, well. If it bugs me too much before time to retire 32-bit permanently,
I guess I can repartition/reformat that HD as I clean install 32-bit AGAIN.
So far, I've used the in-place upgrade - to preserve installed apps,
drivers, settings, etc. - but that obviously does not repartition/reformat,
so I'm still stuck with whatever letters the enumeration process finds
pre-assigned for my System Partition and Boot Volume.

Thanks for that tidbit, Darrell.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ah, that explains much. I actually thought it re-enumerated them. Thanks
> for the clarification (and it explains a couple of machines that boot into
> "H:" or it's equivalent.)
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/
>

> "Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" wrote:
>> Hello,
>> It may be better to not delete the partition. If you delete the
>> partition, you have to create a new partition before formatting.
>> Since the drive letter was used with the old partition, when you
>> create the new partition, it will get the next available drive letter
>> not the previous drive letter of the old partition. Drive letters
>> are not re-enumerated during this process so the old drive or the
>> initial partition is not used. it will get a new drive letter like F:
>> since there are two drives and cd-rom I presume.
>> Simplify formatting the partition should take care of the issue and
>> preserve the drive lettering.
>> Thanks,
>> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
>>
>> <From: "John Barnes" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> <Since you wiped out your x86 when you installed x64, you have to
>> install <from your CD. When you get to the install phase, select to
>> delete the <current partition and then reformat and reinstall the x86.
>> <
>> <
>> <"Sposda" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> <news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> <> Since i don't have 2 boot drives, i'd like to know how to
>> uninstall the <> 64-bit version and replace it with my 32-bit version
>> of xp? The 64-bit <> version was a straight install, not an upgrade.

Thomas Steffen

R. C. White wrote:

> After lots of hassles which are too much to go into here, my 32-bit WinXP is
> now in U:\Windows. :>( And that's even though both C: and D: are unused in
> that installation.

Once a partition has a drive letter, it gets to keep it, imho. And if
there is a conflict, Windows changes one of the conflicting letters on
boot up.

I would try to solve that, since there is quite an amount of software
around that wants to write to C:.

If you want to install again, make sure that you delete the partition.
Partition Magic, Knoppix, BootItNG etc should do the job.

Thomas