Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > keyboard codes from external keys

Reply
Thread Tools

keyboard codes from external keys

 
 
Peter Grambitter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-29-2005
hi everybody,

does anybody know a solution which does the following:

a set of "normal" keyswitches (simple connectors) trigger some
black-box-device which outputs keycodes to the PS2 keyboard socket.
so my application could read these codes and behave accordingly.
this is for the navigation on a fixed kiosk-system where there is a set of a
few press-keys rather than a normal keyboard, and no mouse interactivity.

thank you
peter grambitter
germany


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Intel_Fan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-29-2005
Touch screens generally work better for this.
The hardware interface is not difficult and there should be plenty of things
like this on the market already. Did you try Google yet?

"Peter Grambitter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d9u7m1$kes$00$(E-Mail Removed)-online.com...
> hi everybody,
>
> does anybody know a solution which does the following:
>
> a set of "normal" keyswitches (simple connectors) trigger some
> black-box-device which outputs keycodes to the PS2 keyboard socket.
> so my application could read these codes and behave accordingly.
> this is for the navigation on a fixed kiosk-system where there is a set of
> a
> few press-keys rather than a normal keyboard, and no mouse interactivity.
>
> thank you
> peter grambitter
> germany
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Peter Grambitter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-29-2005
There will be no screen to touch to.
this is a beamer presentation with some interactivity via selection keys.

thanks peter

"Intel_Fan" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Touch screens generally work better for this.
> The hardware interface is not difficult and there should be plenty of

things
> like this on the market already. Did you try Google yet?
>
> "Peter Grambitter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:d9u7m1$kes$00$(E-Mail Removed)-online.com...
> > hi everybody,
> >
> > does anybody know a solution which does the following:
> >
> > a set of "normal" keyswitches (simple connectors) trigger some
> > black-box-device which outputs keycodes to the PS2 keyboard socket.
> > so my application could read these codes and behave accordingly.
> > this is for the navigation on a fixed kiosk-system where there is a set

of
> > a
> > few press-keys rather than a normal keyboard, and no mouse

interactivity.
> >
> > thank you
> > peter grambitter
> > germany
> >
> >

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Tony Sperling
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-30-2005
Couldn't you wire the switches to a standard keyboard ROM chip and have software interpret the codes any way you want???

That's shooting from the hip. Tony. . .


"Peter Grambitter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:d9ucgk$2aq$02$(E-Mail Removed)-online.com...
> There will be no screen to touch to.
> this is a beamer presentation with some interactivity via selection keys.
>
> thanks peter
>
> "Intel_Fan" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Touch screens generally work better for this.
>> The hardware interface is not difficult and there should be plenty of

> things
>> like this on the market already. Did you try Google yet?
>>
>> "Peter Grambitter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:d9u7m1$kes$00$(E-Mail Removed)-online.com...
>> > hi everybody,
>> >
>> > does anybody know a solution which does the following:
>> >
>> > a set of "normal" keyswitches (simple connectors) trigger some
>> > black-box-device which outputs keycodes to the PS2 keyboard socket.
>> > so my application could read these codes and behave accordingly.
>> > this is for the navigation on a fixed kiosk-system where there is a set

> of
>> > a
>> > few press-keys rather than a normal keyboard, and no mouse

> interactivity.
>> >
>> > thank you
>> > peter grambitter
>> > germany
>> >
>> >

>>
>>

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Peter Grambitter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-01-2005
Thank you, hip-shooter..*grin (how nicely put)

I thought of this, too.
But I want to avoid do-it-yourself-bric-a-brac-solutions, when I sell an
installation to a professional client.
There must be something on the market, I bet, that does these things.
perhaps I am in the wrong newsgroup ... is there something like an
audio-visual-user-newsgroup around somewhere?
does anybody know?
thanks
peter


"Tony Sperling" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Couldn't you wire the switches to a standard keyboard ROM chip and have

software interpret the codes any way you want???
>
> That's shooting from the hip. Tony. . .
>
>
> "Peter Grambitter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:d9ucgk$2aq$02$(E-Mail Removed)-online.com...
> > There will be no screen to touch to.
> > this is a beamer presentation with some interactivity via selection

keys.
> >
> > thanks peter
> >
> > "Intel_Fan" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Touch screens generally work better for this.
> >> The hardware interface is not difficult and there should be plenty of

> > things
> >> like this on the market already. Did you try Google yet?
> >>
> >> "Peter Grambitter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:d9u7m1$kes$00$(E-Mail Removed)-online.com...
> >> > hi everybody,
> >> >
> >> > does anybody know a solution which does the following:
> >> >
> >> > a set of "normal" keyswitches (simple connectors) trigger some
> >> > black-box-device which outputs keycodes to the PS2 keyboard socket.
> >> > so my application could read these codes and behave accordingly.
> >> > this is for the navigation on a fixed kiosk-system where there is a

set
> > of
> >> > a
> >> > few press-keys rather than a normal keyboard, and no mouse

> > interactivity.
> >> >
> >> > thank you
> >> > peter grambitter
> >> > germany
> >> >
> >> >
> >>
> >>

> >
> >

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Tony Sperling
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-01-2005
O.K. then, and pardon me for being explicit, but what language will you be coding in? One other thing I thought of is
that perhaps you could alias the C(++) mouse events functions. I'm no expert but the C(++) libraries does seem to have
some exellent functions which are not too hard to put to work writing your own event-handler - or something of that
sort. Talking as you do, I am suspecting it might be more of an Assembler project, and then I will be left behind, more
or less completely. If 'C' would do it for you, I'd suggest one/some of the NG's along those lines - lots of friendly
people there too. For the Hardware side of the matter I do not believe - at least I can't think of any ready-made
solution that you could cannibalize off of. A ROM chip is as close to the Blackbox principle as I can think of.

But then, if you have switches that report the neccessary events I am thinking that you ought to be able to build the
Blackbox completely in code. That's what a ROM chip IS, after all. I suspect the easiest and cheapest and speediest
approach would be to put a pc in there and attach the whole thing into the ps2 connector and write a device driver as a
Blackbox. Much in the way Arcade machines are built, I understand.

Greetings Peter, and good luck.

(By the way - what is a 'beamer', again?)

Tony. . .


"Peter Grambitter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:da3506$8jp$01$(E-Mail Removed)-online.com...
> Thank you, hip-shooter..*grin (how nicely put)
>
> I thought of this, too.
> But I want to avoid do-it-yourself-bric-a-brac-solutions, when I sell an
> installation to a professional client.
> There must be something on the market, I bet, that does these things.
> perhaps I am in the wrong newsgroup ... is there something like an
> audio-visual-user-newsgroup around somewhere?
> does anybody know?
> thanks
> peter
>
>
> "Tony Sperling" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Couldn't you wire the switches to a standard keyboard ROM chip and have

> software interpret the codes any way you want???
>>
>> That's shooting from the hip. Tony. . .
>>
>>
>> "Peter Grambitter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> news:d9ucgk$2aq$02$(E-Mail Removed)-online.com...
>> > There will be no screen to touch to.
>> > this is a beamer presentation with some interactivity via selection

> keys.
>> >
>> > thanks peter
>> >
>> > "Intel_Fan" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >> Touch screens generally work better for this.
>> >> The hardware interface is not difficult and there should be plenty of
>> > things
>> >> like this on the market already. Did you try Google yet?
>> >>
>> >> "Peter Grambitter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> >> news:d9u7m1$kes$00$(E-Mail Removed)-online.com...
>> >> > hi everybody,
>> >> >
>> >> > does anybody know a solution which does the following:
>> >> >
>> >> > a set of "normal" keyswitches (simple connectors) trigger some
>> >> > black-box-device which outputs keycodes to the PS2 keyboard socket.
>> >> > so my application could read these codes and behave accordingly.
>> >> > this is for the navigation on a fixed kiosk-system where there is a

> set
>> > of
>> >> > a
>> >> > few press-keys rather than a normal keyboard, and no mouse
>> > interactivity.
>> >> >
>> >> > thank you
>> >> > peter grambitter
>> >> > germany
>> >> >
>> >> >
>> >>
>> >>
>> >
>> >

>>
>>

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Intel_Fan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-01-2005
A quick Google (special purpose input devices) found a couple of interesting
things. You may even find a more appropriate/helpful newsgroup this way.
http://www.keytools.com/keyboards/cykey.asp
http://www.keytools.com/input/buddy_button.asp
I'm sure there are plenty of domestic products also. If you have a large
enough requirement, it shouldn't be too hard to find a company that will do
a custom design.

"Peter Grambitter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:da3506$8jp$01$(E-Mail Removed)-online.com...
> Thank you, hip-shooter..*grin (how nicely put)
>
> I thought of this, too.
> But I want to avoid do-it-yourself-bric-a-brac-solutions, when I sell an
> installation to a professional client.
> There must be something on the market, I bet, that does these things.
> perhaps I am in the wrong newsgroup ... is there something like an
> audio-visual-user-newsgroup around somewhere?
> does anybody know?
> thanks
> peter
>
>
> "Tony Sperling" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Couldn't you wire the switches to a standard keyboard ROM chip and have

> software interpret the codes any way you want???
> >
> > That's shooting from the hip. Tony. . .
> >
> >
> > "Peter Grambitter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> news:d9ucgk$2aq$02$(E-Mail Removed)-online.com...
> > > There will be no screen to touch to.
> > > this is a beamer presentation with some interactivity via selection

> keys.
> > >
> > > thanks peter
> > >
> > > "Intel_Fan" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > >> Touch screens generally work better for this.
> > >> The hardware interface is not difficult and there should be plenty of
> > > things
> > >> like this on the market already. Did you try Google yet?
> > >>
> > >> "Peter Grambitter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > >> news:d9u7m1$kes$00$(E-Mail Removed)-online.com...
> > >> > hi everybody,
> > >> >
> > >> > does anybody know a solution which does the following:
> > >> >
> > >> > a set of "normal" keyswitches (simple connectors) trigger some
> > >> > black-box-device which outputs keycodes to the PS2 keyboard socket.
> > >> > so my application could read these codes and behave accordingly.
> > >> > this is for the navigation on a fixed kiosk-system where there is a

> set
> > > of
> > >> > a
> > >> > few press-keys rather than a normal keyboard, and no mouse
> > > interactivity.
> > >> >
> > >> > thank you
> > >> > peter grambitter
> > >> > germany
> > >> >
> > >> >
> > >>
> > >>
> > >
> > >

> >
> >

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how to write codes to connect access database using html codes hiralcp Software 0 12-18-2007 08:49 PM
How to use file I/o codes with form and controls codes Allen ASP .Net 1 12-03-2007 12:04 AM
Virtual Key Codes, Scan Codes and ASCII Codes in C gj_williams2000@yahoo.co.uk C Programming 2 08-20-2005 11:04 AM
RegEx replace of html codes to ascii codes Greg -- ASP .Net 4 08-09-2005 07:27 PM
keyboard keys replacing mouse keys? larry Computer Support 8 09-14-2003 07:32 PM



Advertisments