Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > x64 will not boot after installing latest MS AntiSpyware

x64 will not boot after installing latest MS AntiSpyware

=?Utf-8?B?TWFyayBIYXJ0dC1QYWxtZXI=?=

I received an update notification to inform me that a new build of MS
AntiSpyware was available. I duly downloaded and installed it. The
installation asked for a restart. After the restart, I got the following
message informing me that the \CONFIG\SYSTEM file was missing or corrupt.

I assume that this registry hive is damaged. My question is really to ask
whether the AntiSpyware installation could have caused this corruption, or is
it pure coincidence?

Any help on recovering the registry without having to do a complete
reinstall would be much appreciated. BTW, I have tried to boot from the CD
and do a repair install, but I suspect that the boot.ini file might be
damaged also.

Many thanks

Mark Hartt-Palmer

John Barnes

You can fix your boot.ini from the recovery console on your Windows CD.
Select option R and use bootcfg /help at the command prompt a
bootcfg /list will show you what is there and you can select the option
that you want

"Mark Hartt-Palmer" <Mark http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I received an update notification to inform me that a new build of MS
> AntiSpyware was available. I duly downloaded and installed it. The
> installation asked for a restart. After the restart, I got the following
> message informing me that the \CONFIG\SYSTEM file was missing or corrupt.
>
> I assume that this registry hive is damaged. My question is really to ask
> whether the AntiSpyware installation could have caused this corruption, or
> is
> it pure coincidence?
>
> Any help on recovering the registry without having to do a complete
> reinstall would be much appreciated. BTW, I have tried to boot from the
> CD
> and do a repair install, but I suspect that the boot.ini file might be
> damaged also.
>
> Many thanks
>
> Mark Hartt-Palmer

Gary MCSE

I had the same problem and I used the recovery console. The fix was to run
FIXMBR

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You can fix your boot.ini from the recovery console on your Windows CD.
> Select option R and use bootcfg /help at the command prompt a
> bootcfg /list will show you what is there and you can select the option
> that you want
>

> "Mark Hartt-Palmer" <Mark (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I received an update notification to inform me that a new build of MS
>> AntiSpyware was available. I duly downloaded and installed it. The
>> installation asked for a restart. After the restart, I got the following
>> message informing me that the \CONFIG\SYSTEM file was missing or corrupt.
>>
>> I assume that this registry hive is damaged. My question is really to
>> ask
>> whether the AntiSpyware installation could have caused this corruption,
>> or is
>> it pure coincidence?
>>
>> Any help on recovering the registry without having to do a complete
>> reinstall would be much appreciated. BTW, I have tried to boot from the
>> CD
>> and do a repair install, but I suspect that the boot.ini file might be
>> damaged also.
>>
>> Many thanks
>>
>> Mark Hartt-Palmer

=?Utf-8?B?TWFyayBIYXJ0dC1QYWxtZXI=?=

Many thanks John / Gary. I'll certainly try these methods when I get home
later! I've also printed off the knowledge base article 307545 (How to
recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting),
but I hope I won't need to refer to this if the other methods work.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Mark, could you also report this to the
microsoft.private.security.spyware.appcompat and
microsoft.private.security.spyware.general newsgroups, I'm sure the MSAS
Team would love to hear about this. I recommend people do not do the
automatic update or upgrade of MSAS, download it from the site, shutdown
Microsoft AntiSpyware from the notification, uninstall, restart and install
the new build, which is 614.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"Mark Hartt-Palmer" <Mark (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I received an update notification to inform me that a new build of MS
> AntiSpyware was available. I duly downloaded and installed it. The
> installation asked for a restart. After the restart, I got the following
> message informing me that the \CONFIG\SYSTEM file was missing or corrupt.
>
> I assume that this registry hive is damaged. My question is really to ask
> whether the AntiSpyware installation could have caused this corruption, or
> is
> it pure coincidence?
>
> Any help on recovering the registry without having to do a complete
> reinstall would be much appreciated. BTW, I have tried to boot from the
> CD
> and do a repair install, but I suspect that the boot.ini file might be
> damaged also.
>
> Many thanks
>
> Mark Hartt-Palmer

M. Murcek

Interesting. I downloaded and installed the latest version of MS
Anti-Spyware right after install of x64 Edition, and it was just fine.
Maybe the upgrade behaves differently?

"Mark Hartt-Palmer" <Mark (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I received an update notification to inform me that a new build of MS
> AntiSpyware was available. I duly downloaded and installed it. The
> installation asked for a restart. After the restart, I got the following
> message informing me that the \CONFIG\SYSTEM file was missing or corrupt.
>
> I assume that this registry hive is damaged. My question is really to ask
> whether the AntiSpyware installation could have caused this corruption, or
> is
> it pure coincidence?
>
> Any help on recovering the registry without having to do a complete
> reinstall would be much appreciated. BTW, I have tried to boot from the
> CD
> and do a repair install, but I suspect that the boot.ini file might be
> damaged also.
>
> Many thanks
>
> Mark Hartt-Palmer

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

There is also some issue upgrading from definitions 5725 to 5729, here is a
fix for it:
If you know what you are doing :')
Follow this, all credits to user "Taxman":

- Download Winzip or 7-Zip
http://www.7-zip.org/

Download these 3 files, right click-save to disk.
Compressed files !

http://download.spynet.com/ASDefinit...nationData.gcz
http://download.spynet.com/ASDefinit...itScanData.gcz
http://download.spynet.com/ASDefinit...ThreatData.gcz

- Open the first downloaded file and extract it with your Zip tool .
Do the same for the other.

- Right click on MSAS icon and choose shutdown.

- Copy/paste your extracted files to Program files / Microsoft
Antispyware
and choose to overwrite existing definition files.

- Start MSAS again and make a "check for updates" if you have latest
defs.

- If you have time, perform a full system scan directly with all
options checked.

--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"M. Murcek" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Interesting. I downloaded and installed the latest version of MS
> Anti-Spyware right after install of x64 Edition, and it was just fine.
> Maybe the upgrade behaves differently?
>
> "Mark Hartt-Palmer" <Mark (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I received an update notification to inform me that a new build of MS
>> AntiSpyware was available. I duly downloaded and installed it. The
>> installation asked for a restart. After the restart, I got the following
>> message informing me that the \CONFIG\SYSTEM file was missing or corrupt.
>>
>> I assume that this registry hive is damaged. My question is really to
>> ask
>> whether the AntiSpyware installation could have caused this corruption,
>> or is
>> it pure coincidence?
>>
>> Any help on recovering the registry without having to do a complete
>> reinstall would be much appreciated. BTW, I have tried to boot from the
>> CD
>> and do a repair install, but I suspect that the boot.ini file might be
>> damaged also.
>>
>> Many thanks
>>
>> Mark Hartt-Palmer

Charlie Russel - MVP

hmmm. Not seeing an issue here...

--
Charlie.
http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/

Mark Hartt-Palmer wrote:
> I received an update notification to inform me that a new build of MS
> AntiSpyware was available. I duly downloaded and installed it. The
> installation asked for a restart. After the restart, I got the
> following message informing me that the \CONFIG\SYSTEM file was
> missing or corrupt.
>
> I assume that this registry hive is damaged. My question is really
> to ask whether the AntiSpyware installation could have caused this
> corruption, or is it pure coincidence?
>
> Any help on recovering the registry without having to do a complete
> reinstall would be much appreciated. BTW, I have tried to boot from
> the CD and do a repair install, but I suspect that the boot.ini file
> might be damaged also.
>
> Many thanks
>
> Mark Hartt-Palmer

=?Utf-8?B?TWFyayBIYXJ0dC1QYWxtZXI=?=

Andre, I will report these to the relevant MS Newsgroups. I think that the
startup problems could have been pure coincidence though. Thankfully, I
managed to fex the problem fairly quickly, by:

1. Booting from the x64 CD and going into the Recovery Console
2. Changing the attributes of the ntldr and boot.ini files so that I could
delete them
3. Copying ntldr and ntdetect from the CD to my hard drive
4. Doing a BootCfg / Rebuild.

Many thanks for the help that was offered.

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> hmmm. Not seeing an issue here...
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/
>

> Mark Hartt-Palmer wrote:
> > I received an update notification to inform me that a new build of MS
> > AntiSpyware was available. I duly downloaded and installed it. The
> > installation asked for a restart. After the restart, I got the
> > following message informing me that the \CONFIG\SYSTEM file was
> > missing or corrupt.
> >
> > I assume that this registry hive is damaged. My question is really
> > to ask whether the AntiSpyware installation could have caused this
> > corruption, or is it pure coincidence?
> >
> > Any help on recovering the registry without having to do a complete
> > reinstall would be much appreciated. BTW, I have tried to boot from
> > the CD and do a repair install, but I suspect that the boot.ini file
> > might be damaged also.
> >
> > Many thanks
> >
> > Mark Hartt-Palmer

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Yes, but we don't want people doing this in Microsoft AntiSpywares final
iteration. Its best reporting it to the group to prevent this from happening
in the future to XP Pro x64 users.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"Mark Hartt-Palmer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...