Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > x64 will not boot after installing latest MS AntiSpyware

x64 will not boot after installing latest MS AntiSpyware

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

I think this is coincidence. I would recommend running a chkdsk to make sure
your drive is ok.

--
-steve

Steve Dodson [MSFT]
MCSE, CISSP
PSS Security
http://blogs.technet.com/stevedod

--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"Mark Hartt-Palmer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Andre, I will report these to the relevant MS Newsgroups. I think that
> the
> startup problems could have been pure coincidence though. Thankfully, I
> managed to fex the problem fairly quickly, by:
>
> 1. Booting from the x64 CD and going into the Recovery Console
> 2. Changing the attributes of the ntldr and boot.ini files so that I
> could
> delete them
> 3. Copying ntldr and ntdetect from the CD to my hard drive
> 4. Doing a BootCfg / Rebuild.
>
> Many thanks for the help that was offered.
>
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>
>> hmmm. Not seeing an issue here...
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/
>>

>> Mark Hartt-Palmer wrote:
>> > I received an update notification to inform me that a new build of MS
>> > AntiSpyware was available. I duly downloaded and installed it. The
>> > installation asked for a restart. After the restart, I got the
>> > following message informing me that the \CONFIG\SYSTEM file was
>> > missing or corrupt.
>> >
>> > I assume that this registry hive is damaged. My question is really
>> > to ask whether the AntiSpyware installation could have caused this
>> > corruption, or is it pure coincidence?
>> >
>> > Any help on recovering the registry without having to do a complete
>> > reinstall would be much appreciated. BTW, I have tried to boot from
>> > the CD and do a repair install, but I suspect that the boot.ini file
>> > might be damaged also.
>> >
>> > Many thanks
>> >
>> > Mark Hartt-Palmer

Rick

I just installed the latest MS AntiSpyware, Beta version 1.0, and have
not encountered any problems. I have also ran the AntiSpy scan with no
problems.

If you're having a problem, there must be something specific to your
system. I don't think this is a general problem.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Yep, it could be.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

news:OV4J4%(E-Mail Removed)...
>I just installed the latest MS AntiSpyware, Beta version 1.0, and have not
>encountered any problems. I have also ran the AntiSpy scan with no
>problems.
>
> If you're having a problem, there must be something specific to your
> system. I don't think this is a general problem.

Rick

It could be what? There were two possibilities.

a. specific to his system

or

b. a general problem

Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
> Yep, it could be.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

I gave the answer, right from the horses mouth, no need to prolong this:
I think this is coincidence. I would recommend running a chkdsk to make sure
your drive is ok.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com