Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > When the TAP Disk Arrives

When the TAP Disk Arrives

Gary MCSE

(Hey, somebody wake up the old guy in the corner burning those cd's).

Once we do our clean install and register/activate what will happen to the
32 bit system...assuming it is an actively running OS.
Will it just blow up, stop booting or some sort of New and Improved "BSOD".

How will those in power find the OS? By CD-Key?

Suppose I acquired another OEM copy of XP Pro, could I just change the
CD-Key or would I have to do another clean install?

Just thinking ahead, trying to be proactive...

Again, being an optomist, I am assuming the TAP will be shipped some time
this millennia

Mike Brannigan [MSFT]

"Gary MCSE" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%237F%(E-Mail Removed)...
> (Hey, somebody wake up the old guy in the corner burning those cd's).
>
> Once we do our clean install and register/activate what will happen to the
> 32 bit system...assuming it is an actively running OS.
> Will it just blow up, stop booting or some sort of New and Improved
> "BSOD".
>
> How will those in power find the OS? By CD-Key?
>
> Suppose I acquired another OEM copy of XP Pro, could I just change the
> CD-Key or would I have to do another clean install?
>
> Just thinking ahead, trying to be proactive...
>
> Again, being an optomist, I am assuming the TAP will be shipped some time
> this millennia

The TAP is a swap out of license program.
When you install your new x64 system your 32-bit system is now using an
unlicensed product. You must cease using it immediately or purchase another
Windows XP 32-bit license to cover it (and yes swap out the CD Key on that
system so it is using the correct new one)
We will deactivate the swapped out key and you will not be able to activate,
you may also fail other product checks for access to services or downloads
etc too; as your product will no longer be licensed until you purchase a new
license and change the key.

--

Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

newsgroups

"Gary MCSE" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%237F%(E-Mail Removed)...
> (Hey, somebody wake up the old guy in the corner burning those cd's).
>
> Once we do our clean install and register/activate what will happen to the
> 32 bit system...assuming it is an actively running OS.
> Will it just blow up, stop booting or some sort of New and Improved
> "BSOD".
>
> How will those in power find the OS? By CD-Key?
>
> Suppose I acquired another OEM copy of XP Pro, could I just change the
> CD-Key or would I have to do another clean install?
>
> Just thinking ahead, trying to be proactive...
>
> Again, being an optomist, I am assuming the TAP will be shipped some time
> this millennia

Intel_Fan

Not exactly fair to deactivate the 32bit license before shipping the 64bit
license, much less before the shipping charges go through, is it. That's not
very "customer friendly".

"Mike Brannigan [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> The TAP is a swap out of license program.
> When you install your new x64 system your 32-bit system is now using an
> unlicensed product. You must cease using it immediately or purchase
> another Windows XP 32-bit license to cover it (and yes swap out the CD Key
> on that system so it is using the correct new one)
> We will deactivate the swapped out key and you will not be able to
> activate, you may also fail other product checks for access to services or
> downloads etc too; as your product will no longer be licensed until you
> purchase a new license and change the key.
>
> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Mike
> --
> Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

> rights

> newsgroups
>
> "Gary MCSE" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%237F%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> (Hey, somebody wake up the old guy in the corner burning those cd's).
>>
>> Once we do our clean install and register/activate what will happen to
>> the 32 bit system...assuming it is an actively running OS.
>> Will it just blow up, stop booting or some sort of New and Improved
>> "BSOD".
>>
>> How will those in power find the OS? By CD-Key?
>>
>> Suppose I acquired another OEM copy of XP Pro, could I just change the
>> CD-Key or would I have to do another clean install?
>>
>> Just thinking ahead, trying to be proactive...
>>
>> Again, being an optomist, I am assuming the TAP will be shipped some time
>> this millennia

John Barnes

He said when you INSTALL x64, not when you order it.

"Intel_Fan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Not exactly fair to deactivate the 32bit license before shipping the 64bit
> license, much less before the shipping charges go through, is it. That's
> not very "customer friendly".
>

> "Mike Brannigan [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> The TAP is a swap out of license program.
>> When you install your new x64 system your 32-bit system is now using an
>> unlicensed product. You must cease using it immediately or purchase
>> another Windows XP 32-bit license to cover it (and yes swap out the CD
>> Key on that system so it is using the correct new one)
>> We will deactivate the swapped out key and you will not be able to
>> activate, you may also fail other product checks for access to services
>> or downloads etc too; as your product will no longer be licensed until
>> you purchase a new license and change the key.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Mike
>> --
>> Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

>> rights
>>
>> Please note I cannot respond to e-mailed questions, please use these
>> newsgroups
>>
>> "Gary MCSE" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%237F%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> (Hey, somebody wake up the old guy in the corner burning those cd's).
>>>
>>> Once we do our clean install and register/activate what will happen to
>>> the 32 bit system...assuming it is an actively running OS.
>>> Will it just blow up, stop booting or some sort of New and Improved
>>> "BSOD".
>>>
>>> How will those in power find the OS? By CD-Key?
>>>
>>> Suppose I acquired another OEM copy of XP Pro, could I just change the
>>> CD-Key or would I have to do another clean install?
>>>
>>> Just thinking ahead, trying to be proactive...
>>>
>>> Again, being an optomist, I am assuming the TAP will be shipped some
>>> time this millennia

Rick

Where do see anything that says it is deactivated before shipping the 64bit?

"When you install your new x64 system your 32-bit system is now using an
unlicensed product. You must cease using it immediately or purchase
another Windows XP 32-bit license to cover it (and yes swap out the CD
Key on that system so it is using the correct new one)"

I only see "When you install..." To me you would have had to have
received the CD in order to install the 64bit OS. So, that would be
AFTER the item has shipped!

Intel_Fan wrote:
> Not exactly fair to deactivate the 32bit license before shipping the 64bit
> license, much less before the shipping charges go through, is it. That's not
> very "customer friendly".
>

> "Mike Brannigan [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
>>The TAP is a swap out of license program.
>>When you install your new x64 system your 32-bit system is now using an
>>unlicensed product. You must cease using it immediately or purchase
>>another Windows XP 32-bit license to cover it (and yes swap out the CD Key
>>on that system so it is using the correct new one)
>>We will deactivate the swapped out key and you will not be able to
>>activate, you may also fail other product checks for access to services or
>>downloads etc too; as your product will no longer be licensed until you
>>purchase a new license and change the key.
>>
>>--
>>
>>Regards,
>>
>>Mike
>>--
>>Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]
>>
>>This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
>>rights
>>
>>Please note I cannot respond to e-mailed questions, please use these
>>newsgroups
>>
>>"Gary MCSE" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:%237F%(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>
>>>(Hey, somebody wake up the old guy in the corner burning those cd's).
>>>
>>>Once we do our clean install and register/activate what will happen to
>>>the 32 bit system...assuming it is an actively running OS.
>>>Will it just blow up, stop booting or some sort of New and Improved
>>>"BSOD".
>>>
>>>How will those in power find the OS? By CD-Key?
>>>
>>>Suppose I acquired another OEM copy of XP Pro, could I just change the
>>>CD-Key or would I have to do another clean install?
>>>
>>>Just thinking ahead, trying to be proactive...
>>>
>>>Again, being an optomist, I am assuming the TAP will be shipped some time
>>>this millennia

Intel_Fan

Ok, it appears that I misunderstood.

news:%2374UID%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Where do see anything that says it is deactivated before shipping the

64bit?

> "When you install your new x64 system your 32-bit system is now using an
> unlicensed product. You must cease using it immediately or purchase
> another Windows XP 32-bit license to cover it (and yes swap out the CD
> Key on that system so it is using the correct new one)"
>
> I only see "When you install..." To me you would have had to have
> received the CD in order to install the 64bit OS. So, that would be
> AFTER the item has shipped!
>

> Intel_Fan wrote:
> > Not exactly fair to deactivate the 32bit license before shipping the

64bit
> > license, much less before the shipping charges go through, is it. That's

not
> > very "customer friendly".
> >

> > "Mike Brannigan [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> >
> >>The TAP is a swap out of license program.
> >>When you install your new x64 system your 32-bit system is now using an
> >>unlicensed product. You must cease using it immediately or purchase
> >>another Windows XP 32-bit license to cover it (and yes swap out the CD

Key
> >>on that system so it is using the correct new one)
> >>We will deactivate the swapped out key and you will not be able to
> >>activate, you may also fail other product checks for access to services

or
> >>downloads etc too; as your product will no longer be licensed until you
> >>purchase a new license and change the key.
> >>
> >>--
> >>
> >>Regards,
> >>
> >>Mike
> >>--
> >>Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]
> >>
> >>This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
> >>rights
> >>
> >>Please note I cannot respond to e-mailed questions, please use these
> >>newsgroups
> >>
> >>"Gary MCSE" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >>news:%237F%(E-Mail Removed).. .

time

Gary MCSE

Hey thanks Mike, that makes sense.
I was afraid that it would just go "Poof" once I activated the new software.
But to be clear, you think that I could just enter a new cd-key to the x86
version and not have to reinstall...that would save lots o' headaches.
Would a retail cd-key work over an OEM install...I don't think so but I want
your expert opinion.

Regards,
Gary
"Mike Brannigan [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Gary MCSE" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%237F%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> (Hey, somebody wake up the old guy in the corner burning those cd's).
>>
>> Once we do our clean install and register/activate what will happen to
>> the 32 bit system...assuming it is an actively running OS.
>> Will it just blow up, stop booting or some sort of New and Improved
>> "BSOD".
>>
>> How will those in power find the OS? By CD-Key?
>>
>> Suppose I acquired another OEM copy of XP Pro, could I just change the
>> CD-Key or would I have to do another clean install?
>>
>> Just thinking ahead, trying to be proactive...
>>
>> Again, being an optomist, I am assuming the TAP will be shipped some time
>> this millennia

> The TAP is a swap out of license program.
> When you install your new x64 system your 32-bit system is now using an
> unlicensed product. You must cease using it immediately or purchase
> another Windows XP 32-bit license to cover it (and yes swap out the CD Key
> on that system so it is using the correct new one)
> We will deactivate the swapped out key and you will not be able to
> activate, you may also fail other product checks for access to services or
> downloads etc too; as your product will no longer be licensed until you
> purchase a new license and change the key.
>
> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Mike
> --
> Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

> rights

> newsgroups
>
> "Gary MCSE" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%237F%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> (Hey, somebody wake up the old guy in the corner burning those cd's).
>>
>> Once we do our clean install and register/activate what will happen to
>> the 32 bit system...assuming it is an actively running OS.
>> Will it just blow up, stop booting or some sort of New and Improved
>> "BSOD".
>>
>> How will those in power find the OS? By CD-Key?
>>
>> Suppose I acquired another OEM copy of XP Pro, could I just change the
>> CD-Key or would I have to do another clean install?
>>
>> Just thinking ahead, trying to be proactive...
>>
>> Again, being an optomist, I am assuming the TAP will be shipped some time
>> this millennia

Mike Brannigan [MSFT]

"Gary MCSE" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ep0oZl%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey thanks Mike, that makes sense.
> I was afraid that it would just go "Poof" once I activated the new
> software.
> But to be clear, you think that I could just enter a new cd-key to the x86
> version and not have to reinstall...that would save lots o' headaches.
> Would a retail cd-key work over an OEM install...I don't think so but I
> want your expert opinion.

There are a number of ways to "rekey" a Windows XP install.
I am not at liberty to advise you to do them as I am not sure of our
positioning this with regard to OEM products - but I'm sure the helpful
souls in this group will advise you.
Basically the easiest way is to some how retrigger the activation wizard you
can then enter an alternative key.

You CANNOT use a retail key with an OEM product, it must the the right key
group for the product type.

--

Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

newsgroups

> [...]

>> Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

>> rights
>>
>> Please note I cannot respond to e-mailed questions, please use these
>> newsgroups
>>
>> "Gary MCSE" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%237F%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> (Hey, somebody wake up the old guy in the corner burning those cd's).
>>>
>>> Once we do our clean install and register/activate what will happen to
>>> the 32 bit system...assuming it is an actively running OS.
>>> Will it just blow up, stop booting or some sort of New and Improved
>>> "BSOD".
>>>
>>> How will those in power find the OS? By CD-Key?
>>>
>>> Suppose I acquired another OEM copy of XP Pro, could I just change the
>>> CD-Key or would I have to do another clean install?
>>>
>>> Just thinking ahead, trying to be proactive...
>>>
>>> Again, being an optomist, I am assuming the TAP will be shipped some

Sam Crawford

On 28-Jun-2005, "Mike Brannigan [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> There are a number of ways to "rekey" a Windows XP install.
> I am not at liberty to advise you to do them as I am not sure of our
> positioning this with regard to OEM products - but I'm sure the helpful
> souls in this group will advise you.
> Basically the easiest way is to some how retrigger the activation wizard
> you
> can then enter an alternative key.

OK. Mike can't tell us how to do this but does anyone know how?

I have a retail version of 32 bot XP Pro installed on my PC and have other,
not used, retail versions of XP-Pro I've purchased. How can I transfer the
CD key/license from the not used version to my currently installed one?

Aldo Bleeker

I'd recommend a clean install, as it's an opportunity to clean up an old
install, but I can see why people can't, or won't go this route...

That said, the procedure to do this widely known. I've taken a random
site that looked like it knew what it's doing:

http://labmice.techtarget.com/window...s/changeID.htm

There are lots more.

Aldo Bleeker

Sam Crawford wrote:
> On 28-Jun-2005, "Mike Brannigan [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>>There are a number of ways to "rekey" a Windows XP install.
>>I am not at liberty to advise you to do them as I am not sure of our
>>positioning this with regard to OEM products - but I'm sure the helpful
>>souls in this group will advise you.
>>Basically the easiest way is to some how retrigger the activation wizard
>>you
>>can then enter an alternative key.

> OK. Mike can't tell us how to do this but does anyone know how?
>
> I have a retail version of 32 bot XP Pro installed on my PC and have other,
> not used, retail versions of XP-Pro I've purchased. How can I transfer the
> CD key/license from the not used version to my currently installed one?

JTAG Tap Master (was: TI Tap Controller std8980) Amal Khailtash VHDL 0 04-10-2007 03:05 PM
Atlas: Calling a javascript method when data arrives Vincent Courcelle ASP .Net 0 05-25-2006 09:53 AM
Woohoo TAP Arrives... Mark Gillespie Windows 64bit 8 09-14-2005 11:10 PM
Shrek 2 arrives! Rob Mac DVD Video 0 11-02-2004 03:58 AM
CD settlement check arrives! Richard C. DVD Video 30 03-01-2004 03:13 PM

Advertisments