Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > How do I see this forum in a newsreader?

How do I see this forum in a newsreader?

=?Utf-8?B?ZGF2aXNpb24=?=

I've been viewing this forum thru the web -- but I'd rather go thru a
newsreader. I don't know the official name of the forum for NNTP though -- I
can't find anywhere obvious where MS lists it.

??Anyone know??

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Open Outlook Express, click Tools > Accounts > News (tab) > Add > News >
press next > next, your news (NNTP) Server is "msnews.microsoft.com" > press
next > then "Finish", a dialogue will now pop up asking your to download a
list of newsgroups, the one you want to go to is,
microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"davision" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've been viewing this forum thru the web -- but I'd rather go thru a
> newsreader. I don't know the official name of the forum for NNTP
> though -- I
> can't find anywhere obvious where MS lists it.
>
> ??Anyone know??

=?Utf-8?B?ZGF2aXNpb24=?=

Thank you.

I see now that I couldn't find the forum because my newsgroup list needed a
good 'refreshing.'.

"Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:

> Open Outlook Express, click Tools > Accounts > News (tab) > Add > News >
> press next > next, your news (NNTP) Server is "msnews.microsoft.com" > press
> next > then "Finish", a dialogue will now pop up asking your to download a
> list of newsgroups, the one you want to go to is,
> microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>
> "davision" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I've been viewing this forum thru the web -- but I'd rather go thru a
> > newsreader. I don't know the official name of the forum for NNTP
> > though -- I
> > can't find anywhere obvious where MS lists it.
> >
> > ??Anyone know??

R. C. White

Or just click here:

Unless blocked by something like a corporate firewall, that one click should
do all that Andre listed - except download the list of newsgroups - and
bring you right back here, but using OE rather than the web-based interface.

Later, you can use OE's Tools | Options... to customize OE to suit yourself.

Generally speaking, newbies asking questions prefer using the web.
Experienced users usually prefer OE or some other newsreader.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Open Outlook Express, click Tools > Accounts > News (tab) > Add > News >
> press next > next, your news (NNTP) Server is "msnews.microsoft.com" >
> press next > then "Finish", a dialogue will now pop up asking your to
> download a list of newsgroups, the one you want to go to is,
> microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>
> "davision" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I've been viewing this forum thru the web -- but I'd rather go thru a
>> newsreader. I don't know the official name of the forum for NNTP
>> though -- I
>> can't find anywhere obvious where MS lists it.
>>
>> ??Anyone know??

Thomas G. Madsen

R. C. White wrote:

> Generally speaking, newbies asking questions prefer using the web.
> Experienced users usually prefer OE or some other newsreader.

Hear, hear

--
Regards
Madsen

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

I use OE because I'm on dialup.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"Thomas G. Madsen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> R. C. White wrote:
>
>> Generally speaking, newbies asking questions prefer using the web.
>> Experienced users usually prefer OE or some other newsreader.

> Hear, hear
>
> --
> Regards
> Madsen

Thomas G. Madsen

Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:

> I use OE because I'm on dialup.

I prefer Xnews but would probably use OE too, if I had a dialup
connection. I use OE (and Outlook 2003) for mails though.

--
Regards
Madsen

The Primate

"R. C. White" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Or just click here:
>
> Unless blocked by something like a corporate firewall, that one click
> should do all that Andre listed - except download the list of newsgroups -
> and bring you right back here, but using OE rather than the web-based
> interface.
>
> Later, you can use OE's Tools | Options... to customize OE to suit
> yourself.
>
> Generally speaking, newbies asking questions prefer using the web.
> Experienced users usually prefer OE or some other newsreader.
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> (E-Mail Removed)
> Microsoft Windows MVP

I've used a newsreader for probably 10yrs or so but must admit the web-based
interface is not too bad nowadays. Needless to say I was disappointed when
Creative Labs dropped their NG based forums.

<snip>

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Yeah, it would be nice to have Newsgroup support in Outlook 2003, so I can
use it for mail, newsgroup and PIM.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"Thomas G. Madsen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
>
>> I use OE because I'm on dialup.

> I prefer Xnews but would probably use OE too, if I had a dialup
> connection. I use OE (and Outlook 2003) for mails though.
>
> --
> Regards
> Madsen

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

The web based is just too slow on dial-up and not easy to navigate.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta