Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Dual Opteron 275's - are they supported?

Dual Opteron 275's - are they supported?

=?Utf-8?B?QW5kcmV3X05a?=

Can the x64 version of windows support 4 processors?
(I'm assuming the dual core AMDs are treated as 2 physical processors.)

Thanks in advance.

Peter Lawton

No, dual core processors are treated as a single processor for licensing
purposes.

So XP x64 supports up to 2 dual core processors (4 cores)

Peter Lawton

"Andrew_NZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can the x64 version of windows support 4 processors?
> (I'm assuming the dual core AMDs are treated as 2 physical processors.)
>
> Thanks in advance.

Charlie Russel - MVP

Processors are counted per socket, not per core, so your dual 275's are
counted as 2 processors for licensing purposes. This means they ARE supported
by XP.

--
Charlie.
http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/

Andrew_NZ wrote:
> Can the x64 version of windows support 4 processors?
> (I'm assuming the dual core AMDs are treated as 2 physical
> processors.)
>
> Thanks in advance.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Charlie, maybe you need to write up a post on this one for the xperts64
blog.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Processors are counted per socket, not per core, so your dual 275's are
> counted as 2 processors for licensing purposes. This means they ARE
> supported by XP.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/
>

> Andrew_NZ wrote:
>> Can the x64 version of windows support 4 processors?
>> (I'm assuming the dual core AMDs are treated as 2 physical
>> processors.)
>>
>> Thanks in advance.

=?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=

Windows XP Pro x64 edition supports up to 8 concurrent threads (2 processors,
with 2 cores each, and 2 threads per core).

Charlie Russel - MVP

On the list.

--

Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
> Charlie, maybe you need to write up a post on this one for the
> xperts64 blog.
>
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Processors are counted per socket, not per core, so your dual 275's
>> are counted as 2 processors for licensing purposes. This means they
>> ARE supported by XP.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/
>>

>> Andrew_NZ wrote:
>>> Can the x64 version of windows support 4 processors?
>>> (I'm assuming the dual core AMDs are treated as 2 physical
>>> processors.)
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.

Christian Hougardy

Charlie Russel - MVP <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On the list.

very long list by now and, as I'm leaving South Africa to Belgium and I'm
busy with the removal company, I'm not going to be of any help before next
week , sorry guys....

Cheers

--
Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
Johannesburg - South Africa

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Great!
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> On the list.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/
>

> Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
>> Charlie, maybe you need to write up a post on this one for the
>> xperts64 blog.
>>
>> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> message news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Processors are counted per socket, not per core, so your dual 275's
>>> are counted as 2 processors for licensing purposes. This means they
>>> ARE supported by XP.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Charlie.
>>> http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Don't worry Christian, it seems that Charlie has it under control.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"Christian Hougardy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Charlie Russel - MVP <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On the list.
>>

> very long list by now and, as I'm leaving South Africa to Belgium and I'm
> busy with the removal company, I'm not going to be of any help before next
> week , sorry guys....
>
> Cheers
>
> --
> Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)