Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Windows Update Problem

Windows Update Problem

Bob Mackey

I am running the 120 day evaluation of Windows XP Professional x64 Edition.
When I go to the Windows update site using the 32 bit Internet Explorer, it
brings up a screen "checking if your computer has the latest version of
Windows updating software". Then a screen appears saying "Get the latest
Windows update software" and there is an install now button. I click on the
Install now button and a screen comes up saying "Windows Update is
downloading and installing the updated sotware". But nothing happens. No
download, no nothing. Any ideas?

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Maybe its because you don't need it. Are you able to close it out and
continue the process of obtaining updates excluding the upgrade of Windows
Update?
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"Bob Mackey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am running the 120 day evaluation of Windows XP Professional x64
> Edition. When I go to the Windows update site using the 32 bit Internet
> Explorer, it brings up a screen "checking if your computer has the latest
> version of Windows updating software". Then a screen appears saying "Get
> the latest Windows update software" and there is an install now button. I
> click on the Install now button and a screen comes up saying "Windows
> Update is downloading and installing the updated sotware". But nothing
> happens. No download, no nothing. Any ideas?

Wayne Wastier

"Bob Mackey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am running the 120 day evaluation of Windows XP Professional x64
> Edition. When I go to the Windows update site using the 32 bit Internet
> Explorer, it brings up a screen "checking if your computer has the latest
> version of Windows updating software". Then a screen appears saying "Get
> the latest Windows update software" and there is an install now button. I
> click on the Install now button and a screen comes up saying "Windows
> Update is downloading and installing the updated sotware". But nothing
> happens. No download, no nothing. Any ideas?

Sounds like your security settings are set too high. Aslo, make sure you
turn off the popup blocker for some sites. I know Creative's auto-update
site needs you to do that.

Wayne

Bob Mackey

Security settings are default and the pop-up blocker is off. Looks like I
may be doing a repair if I can't figure this out.
"Wayne Wastier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Bob Mackey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I am running the 120 day evaluation of Windows XP Professional x64
>> Edition. When I go to the Windows update site using the 32 bit Internet
>> Explorer, it brings up a screen "checking if your computer has the latest
>> version of Windows updating software". Then a screen appears saying "Get
>> the latest Windows update software" and there is an install now button. I
>> click on the Install now button and a screen comes up saying "Windows
>> Update is downloading and installing the updated sotware". But nothing
>> happens. No download, no nothing. Any ideas?
>>

> Sounds like your security settings are set too high. Aslo, make sure you
> turn off the popup blocker for some sites. I know Creative's auto-update
> site needs you to do that.
>

> Wayne

Bob Mackey

Andre,
I get nowhere in the process of obtaining updates. Hangs on the
downloading update software screen. Unable to close this out and proceed any
further. If there were no updates should I not see a screen advising me of
that like you get in WinXP Pro when there are no updates?
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Maybe its because you don't need it. Are you able to close it out and
> continue the process of obtaining updates excluding the upgrade of Windows
> Update?
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>
> "Bob Mackey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I am running the 120 day evaluation of Windows XP Professional x64
>> Edition. When I go to the Windows update site using the 32 bit Internet
>> Explorer, it brings up a screen "checking if your computer has the latest
>> version of Windows updating software". Then a screen appears saying "Get
>> the latest Windows update software" and there is an install now button. I
>> click on the Install now button and a screen comes up saying "Windows
>> Update is downloading and installing the updated sotware". But nothing
>> happens. No download, no nothing. Any ideas?

Wayne Wastier

"Bob Mackey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Security settings are default and the pop-up blocker is off. Looks like I
> may be doing a repair if I can't figure this out.

Yup, that may be the way to go.

Julian Lord [PROneTworks]

I've seen this problem many times, you should just try again later -- and
avoid trying to use WU on the Sunday evening, it's often down at that time
of the week...

=?Utf-8?B?SGFsZXdpbmQ=?=

I'd the same problem... but it worket fine with IE 32bits....

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Like Julian said just wait a bit, I don't think getting any updates for x64
right now is a detriment.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"Bob Mackey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Security settings are default and the pop-up blocker is off. Looks like I
> may be doing a repair if I can't figure this out.
> "Wayne Wastier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Bob Mackey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I am running the 120 day evaluation of Windows XP Professional x64
>>> Edition. When I go to the Windows update site using the 32 bit Internet
>>> Explorer, it brings up a screen "checking if your computer has the
>>> latest version of Windows updating software". Then a screen appears
>>> saying "Get the latest Windows update software" and there is an install
>>> now button. I click on the Install now button and a screen comes up
>>> saying "Windows Update is downloading and installing the updated
>>> sotware". But nothing happens. No download, no nothing. Any ideas?
>>>

>> Sounds like your security settings are set too high. Aslo, make sure you
>> turn off the popup blocker for some sites. I know Creative's auto-update
>> site needs you to do that.
>>

>> Wayne

Torrey Lauer

Try Windows Update at http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate

This will check for updates across most Microsoft Products, not just Windows
or IE.

--
Torrey Lauer
Modern Travel Services