Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Shutdown and standby...

Shutdown and standby...

M. Murcek

Both my desktop and notebook x64 machines sometimes hang at the "Windows is
shutting down" phase. The notebook never used to do it, and I'm thinking it
is related to one of the Windows Update patches. I ran Windows update right
after I completed install on the desktop, so I have no means to compare one
to the other. Anybody else seeing this? Any ideas?

NNBXX

Have you Avast antivirus installed ? My x64 machine used to do the same,
until I removed Avast and replaced it by NOD32. Now it no longer hangs at
the "Windows is shutting down" phase. Just a suggestion...

"M. Murcek" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de news:
> Both my desktop and notebook x64 machines sometimes hang at the "Windows
> is shutting down" phase. The notebook never used to do it, and I'm
> thinking it is related to one of the Windows Update patches. I ran
> Windows update right after I completed install on the desktop, so I have
> no means to compare one to the other. Anybody else seeing this? Any
> ideas?

NNBXX

Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks !

"NNBXX" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de news:
(E-Mail Removed)...
> Have you Avast antivirus installed ? My x64 machine used to do the same,
> until I removed Avast and replaced it by NOD32. Now it no longer hangs at
> the "Windows is shutting down" phase. Just a suggestion...
>

> "M. Murcek" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de news:
> (E-Mail Removed)...
>> Both my desktop and notebook x64 machines sometimes hang at the "Windows
>> is shutting down" phase. The notebook never used to do it, and I'm
>> thinking it is related to one of the Windows Update patches. I ran
>> Windows update right after I completed install on the desktop, so I have
>> no means to compare one to the other. Anybody else seeing this? Any
>> ideas?

M. Murcek

I am running avast! on both the desktop and notebook, and the hangup during
shutdown is intermittant. When I get a chance, I'll uninstall on one
machine to compare the behavior (though that will still be an apples and
oranges thing) If you check my other post regarding UPS activity and
freezing during going to standby, it appears to me that some of these things
are just more of the same. I can think of no version of Windows that does
not sometimes get to "Windows is shutting down" without just hanging up.

"NNBXX" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks !
>

> "NNBXX" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
> news: (E-Mail Removed)...
>> Have you Avast antivirus installed ? My x64 machine used to do the same,
>> until I removed Avast and replaced it by NOD32. Now it no longer hangs at
>> the "Windows is shutting down" phase. Just a suggestion...
>>

>> "M. Murcek" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
>> news: (E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Both my desktop and notebook x64 machines sometimes hang at the "Windows
>>> is shutting down" phase. The notebook never used to do it, and I'm
>>> thinking it is related to one of the Windows Update patches. I ran
>>> Windows update right after I completed install on the desktop, so I have
>>> no means to compare one to the other. Anybody else seeing this? Any
>>> ideas?

John Barnes

I agree. I have had the problem with every version of Windows. As long as
it is not constant it probably is not something which is resident all of the
time, like anti-virus and is something that was used that session only not
closing properly.

"M. Murcek" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uzW5HJ$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am running avast! on both the desktop and notebook, and the hangup during
>shutdown is intermittant. When I get a chance, I'll uninstall on one
>machine to compare the behavior (though that will still be an apples and
>oranges thing) If you check my other post regarding UPS activity and
>freezing during going to standby, it appears to me that some of these
>things are just more of the same. I can think of no version of Windows
>that does not sometimes get to "Windows is shutting down" without just
>hanging up.
>
> "NNBXX" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks !
>>

>> "NNBXX" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
>> news: (E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Have you Avast antivirus installed ? My x64 machine used to do the same,
>>> until I removed Avast and replaced it by NOD32. Now it no longer hangs
>>> at the "Windows is shutting down" phase. Just a suggestion...
>>>

>>> "M. Murcek" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
>>> news: (E-Mail Removed)...

NNBXX

Don't totally agree with you. Since I removed avast!, my system no longer
hangs at the "Windows is shutting down" phase AT ALL, whereas when my
machine was running avast! antivirus, the problem occured EVERY TIME Windows
was shutting down, NOT only from time to time.

"M. Murcek" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de news:
uzW5HJ$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am running avast! on both the desktop and notebook, and the hangup during
>shutdown is intermittant. When I get a chance, I'll uninstall on one
>machine to compare the behavior (though that will still be an apples and
>oranges thing) If you check my other post regarding UPS activity and
>freezing during going to standby, it appears to me that some of these
>things are just more of the same. I can think of no version of Windows
>that does not sometimes get to "Windows is shutting down" without just
>hanging up.
>
> "NNBXX" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks !
>>

>> "NNBXX" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
>> news: (E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Have you Avast antivirus installed ? My x64 machine used to do the same,
>>> until I removed Avast and replaced it by NOD32. Now it no longer hangs
>>> at the "Windows is shutting down" phase. Just a suggestion...
>>>

>>> "M. Murcek" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
>>> news: (E-Mail Removed)...

M. Murcek

Well, I' not hanging every time, so I think John may have it right. Every
sequence of program, utility and services invocations is unique, and some
just don't play nice together. Also, Windows always comes back fine from
being powered off from the front panel switch, so it's more annoyance than
destructive misadventure.

"NNBXX" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23tf$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Don't totally agree with you. Since I removed avast!, my system no longer
> hangs at the "Windows is shutting down" phase AT ALL, whereas when my
> machine was running avast! antivirus, the problem occured EVERY TIME
> Windows was shutting down, NOT only from time to time.
>
> "M. Murcek" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de news:
> uzW5HJ$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I am running avast! on both the desktop and notebook, and the hangup
>>during shutdown is intermittant. When I get a chance, I'll uninstall on
>>one machine to compare the behavior (though that will still be an apples
>>and oranges thing) If you check my other post regarding UPS activity and
>>freezing during going to standby, it appears to me that some of these
>>things are just more of the same. I can think of no version of Windows
>>that does not sometimes get to "Windows is shutting down" without just
>>hanging up.
>>
>> "NNBXX" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks !
>>>

>>> "NNBXX" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
>>> news: (E-Mail Removed)...

John Barnes

Nicely put. NNBXX probably had a unique conflict with some other driver.
Still worth trying. Remember the time wasted when 98 hung and always went
thru scandisk every time it was restarted after a hard shutdown.

"M. Murcek" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Well, I' not hanging every time, so I think John may have it right. Every
> sequence of program, utility and services invocations is unique, and some
> just don't play nice together. Also, Windows always comes back fine from
> being powered off from the front panel switch, so it's more annoyance than
> destructive misadventure.
>
> "NNBXX" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%23tf$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Don't totally agree with you. Since I removed avast!, my system no longer
>> hangs at the "Windows is shutting down" phase AT ALL, whereas when my
>> machine was running avast! antivirus, the problem occured EVERY TIME
>> Windows was shutting down, NOT only from time to time.
>>
>> "M. Murcek" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
>> news: uzW5HJ$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I am running avast! on both the desktop and notebook, and the hangup
>>>during shutdown is intermittant. When I get a chance, I'll uninstall on
>>>one machine to compare the behavior (though that will still be an apples
>>>and oranges thing) If you check my other post regarding UPS activity and
>>>freezing during going to standby, it appears to me that some of these
>>>things are just more of the same. I can think of no version of Windows
>>>that does not sometimes get to "Windows is shutting down" without just
>>>hanging up.
>>>
>>> "NNBXX" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

M. Murcek

At least, Win98 (usually) came back after the DOS mode scandisk. It would
be nice if there was a shutdown counterpart to bootmon that could be used to
diagnose, though...

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Nicely put. NNBXX probably had a unique conflict with some other driver.
> Still worth trying. Remember the time wasted when 98 hung and always went
> thru scandisk every time it was restarted after a hard shutdown.
>

> "M. Murcek" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Well, I' not hanging every time, so I think John may have it right.
>> Every sequence of program, utility and services invocations is unique,
>> and some just don't play nice together. Also, Windows always comes back
>> fine from being powered off from the front panel switch, so it's more
>> annoyance than destructive misadventure.
>>
>> "NNBXX" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%23tf$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Don't totally agree with you. Since I removed avast!, my system no
>>> longer hangs at the "Windows is shutting down" phase AT ALL, whereas
>>> when my machine was running avast! antivirus, the problem occured EVERY
>>> TIME Windows was shutting down, NOT only from time to time.
>>>
>>> "M. Murcek" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
>>> news: uzW5HJ$(E-Mail Removed)...

M. Murcek

I took avast! off the desktop and replaced it with the 90 day trial of
eTrust 7.1 for x64 Edition. So far, so good.