Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > changing the program files directory

changing the program files directory

=?Utf-8?B?YWY=?=

I've run the regedit steps found for 32bit XP to change my default program
files directory to my e: drive in the 64 edition (which is an empty drive
partition).

It automtaically created the program files in my e: drive, however when i
try to install a program it always defaults back to the c:

Also I've disabled autoplay using the regedit steps as well and autoplay is
still on.

WM

Are you installing a 32-bit application? If so you are running into
filesystem redirection. The OS will always install applications into
c:\Program Files(X86) - which your application installer will simply show
you as C:\Program Files\ - there is no way to change that that I am aware
of.

"af" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've run the regedit steps found for 32bit XP to change my default program
> files directory to my e: drive in the 64 edition (which is an empty drive
> partition).
>
> It automtaically created the program files in my e: drive, however when i
> try to install a program it always defaults back to the c:
>
> Also I've disabled autoplay using the regedit steps as well and autoplay
> is
> still on.

Chuck

af wrote:
> I've run the regedit steps found for 32bit XP to change my default program
> files directory to my e: drive in the 64 edition (which is an empty drive
> partition).
>
> It automtaically created the program files in my e: drive, however when i
> try to install a program it always defaults back to the c:
>
> Also I've disabled autoplay using the regedit steps as well and autoplay is
> still on.

I've changed my %Program Files% defaults to "W:\Program Files" on my
system and it works for me. The following applies to the Trial Edition
of x64.

I changed the following keys in the registry (note the "Wow6432Node" keys):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\ProgramFilesDir

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\ProgramFilesDir
(x86)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\CommonFilesDir

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\CommonFilesDir
(x86)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\ Windows\CurrentVersion\ProgramFilesDir

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\ Windows\CurrentVersion\ProgramFilesDir
(x86)

I copy the contents of C:\Program Files to W:\Program Files and the
change the App Paths of the already-installed programs to the "W:"
partition . I use the freeware Resplendent Registrar Lite
(http://www.resplendence.com/reglite) to do search and replace and it
works fine. I do this in Safe Mode.

Here are the App Path keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\App Paths

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\ Windows\CurrentVersion\App
Paths

I hope I didn't miss anything. I believe the environment variables
follow the registry.

With rare exception, anytime I install a new program, the installer will
see the %Program Files% folder on the non-standard partition. Any
exceptions I attribute to an installer that assumes "C:\Program Files"
instead of %ProgramFiles%. I disable write permissions on the
C:\Program Files folder but sometimes a wayward installer will insist on
installing to C:\Program Files in which case I need to re-enable write
permissions or cancel installation and find an alternative.

Like I said, the above works for me.

Chuck

P.S.--Disclaimer: Please--anyone who reads this--don't hold me
responsible if you hose your registry without a backup.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

This just seems like too much of a risk.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com