Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > External HDD driver

External HDD driver

Jeffrey Ngu

I'm using 3.5 " Seagate 160 gig HDD, thru external enclosure (Nexstar)
which is a IDE to USB 2.0 converter. Works well under previous XP, but
will reboot the 64bit window whenever I switch on the HDD. My guess the
reason is uncompatible driver. Anyone can help, or offer any advice?
Thanks.

NNBXX

Very odd. No driver needed under x64. My external USB 2.0/IDE drive works
fine under x64.
Maybe a hardware issue, but surely not a driver one. I've had many problems
with my previous external enclosure (IcyBox 355), now I got a new one, and
everything is OK.

"Jeffrey Ngu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsp.ssrrudgsclz8qe@jeffrey...
> I'm using 3.5 " Seagate 160 gig HDD, thru external enclosure (Nexstar)
> which is a IDE to USB 2.0 converter. Works well under previous XP, but
> will reboot the 64bit window whenever I switch on the HDD. My guess the
> reason is uncompatible driver. Anyone can help, or offer any advice?
> Thanks.

NoNoBadDog!

"Jeffrey Ngu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsp.ssrrudgsclz8qe@jeffrey...
> I'm using 3.5 " Seagate 160 gig HDD, thru external enclosure (Nexstar)
> which is a IDE to USB 2.0 converter. Works well under previous XP, but
> will reboot the 64bit window whenever I switch on the HDD. My guess the
> reason is uncompatible driver. Anyone can help, or offer any advice?
> Thanks.'

The NexStar enclosure is not one of the ones I would recommend. I have had
problems with them under Windows XP HE, Pro and x64 Edition. Best advice;
get a better enclosure. Even the generic white box enclosures are better
than the NexStar.

Bobby

John Barnes

I have an old IDE/USB or 1394. Works fine on both.