Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > 64bit and 32bit

64bit and 32bit

Zack Whittaker

This is going to sound like a bloody stupid question...

Can Windows XP 64bit run on a 32 bit processor, or does it HAVE to run on a
64 bit processor? It's just that I'm on a server beta with Microsoft and
would like to test connectivity with many operating systems. Also, if that
question is a big "no", is there a Virtual PC style program I can use to run
it instead? I've downloaded 64bit XP and would like to use it but haven't
gotten myself a computer with a 64bit processor.

Thanks a lot guys.

--
Zack Whittaker
Microsoft Beta UK

Torrey Lauer

Yes, you can run Windows x64 on a PC with a 32 bit processor.

--
Torrey Lauer
Modern Travel Services

Rainbow Sky Travel
rainbow sky travel DOT net
"Zack Whittaker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> This is going to sound like a bloody stupid question...
>
> Can Windows XP 64bit run on a 32 bit processor, or does it HAVE to run on
> a 64 bit processor? It's just that I'm on a server beta with Microsoft and
> would like to test connectivity with many operating systems. Also, if that
> question is a big "no", is there a Virtual PC style program I can use to
> run it instead? I've downloaded 64bit XP and would like to use it but
> haven't gotten myself a computer with a 64bit processor.
>
> Thanks a lot guys.
>
> --
> Zack Whittaker
> Microsoft Beta UK
> www.zacksspace.cjb.net
> Sort your computer out: http://sortyourcomputer.cjb.net/
> This mailing is provided "as is" with no warranties, and confers no
> rights. All opinions expressed are those of myself unless stated so, and
> not of my employer, best friend, mother or cat. Let's be clear on that
> one!

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Windows XP 64 bit requires a 64 bit processor, and depends on what type of
64 bit processor too, you have Intel Itanium and AMD x64 and Intel EM64T,
Windows XP Professional x64 is compatible with AMD x64 and Intel EM64T,
while Windows XP 64-Bit is compatible only with Intel Itanium and has since
been discontinued.

The only available virtualization software for Windows XP Professional x64
at this time is VM Ware Workstation 5.0 and cannot support XP Pro x64 as a
guest, only 32 bit operating systems as guess.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"Zack Whittaker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> This is going to sound like a bloody stupid question...
>
> Can Windows XP 64bit run on a 32 bit processor, or does it HAVE to run on
> a 64 bit processor? It's just that I'm on a server beta with Microsoft and
> would like to test connectivity with many operating systems. Also, if that
> question is a big "no", is there a Virtual PC style program I can use to
> run it instead? I've downloaded 64bit XP and would like to use it but
> haven't gotten myself a computer with a 64bit processor.
>
> Thanks a lot guys.
>
> --
> Zack Whittaker
> Microsoft Beta UK
> www.zacksspace.cjb.net
> Sort your computer out: http://sortyourcomputer.cjb.net/
> This mailing is provided "as is" with no warranties, and confers no
> rights. All opinions expressed are those of myself unless stated so, and
> not of my employer, best friend, mother or cat. Let's be clear on that
> one!

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Also check here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888731
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"Zack Whittaker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> This is going to sound like a bloody stupid question...
>
> Can Windows XP 64bit run on a 32 bit processor, or does it HAVE to run on
> a 64 bit processor? It's just that I'm on a server beta with Microsoft and
> would like to test connectivity with many operating systems. Also, if that
> question is a big "no", is there a Virtual PC style program I can use to
> run it instead? I've downloaded 64bit XP and would like to use it but
> haven't gotten myself a computer with a 64bit processor.
>
> Thanks a lot guys.
>
> --
> Zack Whittaker
> Microsoft Beta UK
> www.zacksspace.cjb.net
> Sort your computer out: http://sortyourcomputer.cjb.net/
> This mailing is provided "as is" with no warranties, and confers no
> rights. All opinions expressed are those of myself unless stated so, and
> not of my employer, best friend, mother or cat. Let's be clear on that
> one!

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

You are just messing with his head, right Torrey?
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"Torrey Lauer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes, you can run Windows x64 on a PC with a 32 bit processor.
>
> --
> Torrey Lauer
> Modern Travel Services
> moderntravel DOT net
>
> Rainbow Sky Travel
> rainbow sky travel DOT net
> "Zack Whittaker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> This is going to sound like a bloody stupid question...
>>
>> Can Windows XP 64bit run on a 32 bit processor, or does it HAVE to run on
>> a 64 bit processor? It's just that I'm on a server beta with Microsoft
>> and would like to test connectivity with many operating systems. Also, if
>> that question is a big "no", is there a Virtual PC style program I can
>> use to run it instead? I've downloaded 64bit XP and would like to use it
>> but haven't gotten myself a computer with a 64bit processor.
>>
>> Thanks a lot guys.
>>
>> --
>> Zack Whittaker
>> Microsoft Beta UK
>> www.zacksspace.cjb.net
>> Sort your computer out: http://sortyourcomputer.cjb.net/
>> This mailing is provided "as is" with no warranties, and confers no
>> rights. All opinions expressed are those of myself unless stated so, and
>> not of my employer, best friend, mother or cat. Let's be clear on that
>> one!

Wayne Wastier

"Torrey Lauer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes, you can run Windows x64 on a PC with a 32 bit processor.
>
> --
> Torrey Lauer
> Modern Travel Services
> moderntravel DOT net

Huh? Are you on a trip at your travel service without leaving the building?
LOL
Really, you know that it takes a 64 bit processor to run a 64 bit OS.
However, you might have been thinking about the reverse, that being a 32 bit
OS can run on a 64 bit processor based system.

Wayne

Torrey Lauer

I wrote that incorrectly. If you have Windows x64, you must have a 64 bit
processor. However, if you have a 64 bit processor it will run 32 bit
Windows.

--
Torrey Lauer
Modern Travel Services

Rainbow Sky Travel
rainbow sky travel DOT net
"Torrey Lauer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes, you can run Windows x64 on a PC with a 32 bit processor.
>
> --
> Torrey Lauer
> Modern Travel Services
> moderntravel DOT net
>
> Rainbow Sky Travel
> rainbow sky travel DOT net
> "Zack Whittaker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> This is going to sound like a bloody stupid question...
>>
>> Can Windows XP 64bit run on a 32 bit processor, or does it HAVE to run on
>> a 64 bit processor? It's just that I'm on a server beta with Microsoft
>> and would like to test connectivity with many operating systems. Also, if
>> that question is a big "no", is there a Virtual PC style program I can
>> use to run it instead? I've downloaded 64bit XP and would like to use it
>> but haven't gotten myself a computer with a 64bit processor.
>>
>> Thanks a lot guys.
>>
>> --
>> Zack Whittaker
>> Microsoft Beta UK
>> www.zacksspace.cjb.net
>> Sort your computer out: http://sortyourcomputer.cjb.net/
>> This mailing is provided "as is" with no warranties, and confers no
>> rights. All opinions expressed are those of myself unless stated so, and
>> not of my employer, best friend, mother or cat. Let's be clear on that
>> one!

Torrey Lauer

Yeah, yeah, I know. I wrote it wrong. I already feel like it's Friday. I
haven't been on a vacation in three weeks! It's time for another one!

--
Torrey Lauer
Modern Travel Services

Rainbow Sky Travel
rainbow sky travel DOT net
"Wayne Wastier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Torrey Lauer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Yes, you can run Windows x64 on a PC with a 32 bit processor.
>>
>> --
>> Torrey Lauer
>> Modern Travel Services
>> moderntravel DOT net
>>

> Huh? Are you on a trip at your travel service without leaving the
> building? LOL
> Really, you know that it takes a 64 bit processor to run a 64 bit OS.
> However, you might have been thinking about the reverse, that being a 32
> bit OS can run on a 64 bit processor based system.
>

> Wayne

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

We all make mistakes, yes its vacation time.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"Torrey Lauer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I wrote that incorrectly. If you have Windows x64, you must have a 64 bit
>processor. However, if you have a 64 bit processor it will run 32 bit
>Windows.
>
> --
> Torrey Lauer
> Modern Travel Services
> moderntravel DOT net
>
> Rainbow Sky Travel
> rainbow sky travel DOT net
> "Torrey Lauer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Yes, you can run Windows x64 on a PC with a 32 bit processor.
>>
>> --
>> Torrey Lauer
>> Modern Travel Services
>> moderntravel DOT net
>>
>> Rainbow Sky Travel
>> rainbow sky travel DOT net
>> "Zack Whittaker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> This is going to sound like a bloody stupid question...
>>>
>>> Can Windows XP 64bit run on a 32 bit processor, or does it HAVE to run
>>> on a 64 bit processor? It's just that I'm on a server beta with
>>> Microsoft and would like to test connectivity with many operating
>>> systems. Also, if that question is a big "no", is there a Virtual PC
>>> style program I can use to run it instead? I've downloaded 64bit XP and
>>> would like to use it but haven't gotten myself a computer with a 64bit
>>> processor.
>>>
>>> Thanks a lot guys.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Zack Whittaker
>>> Microsoft Beta UK
>>> www.zacksspace.cjb.net
>>> Sort your computer out: http://sortyourcomputer.cjb.net/
>>> This mailing is provided "as is" with no warranties, and confers no
>>> rights. All opinions expressed are those of myself unless stated so, and
>>> not of my employer, best friend, mother or cat. Let's be clear on that
>>> one!

Wayne Wastier

"Torrey Lauer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yeah, yeah, I know. I wrote it wrong. I already feel like it's Friday.
> I haven't been on a vacation in three weeks! It's time for another one!

ROFLOL. I thought it was something like that.
BTW, I was thinking about that song from the 70's, the Wildwood Weed. "He
took a trip and never left the farm."

Wayne