Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > XP Driver support (or lack of)..

XP Driver support (or lack of)..

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

It has got to be frustrating, and I knew it was going to be kind of "too
good to be true" kinda thing thats why I just asked my aunt to purchase mine
from Directron and ship it to me. Much quicker than 8 weeks.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"Bill Sharpe" <eschol@remove_this.shinbiro.com> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Well, we know pending means more than eight weeks, so near future probably
> means somewhat longer than eight weeks.
>
> Bill

> news:OPFE$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> They have been saying that for over 2 months at least. That isn't near
>> future to someone who started programming on an IBM System32 in the
>> 1970's and may not make it to Microsoft's 'near future'

>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> The said it would be available in the "near future", the only problem
>>> now is to figure out Microsofts intepretation of "near future".
>>> --
>>> Andre
>>>
>>> "John Barnes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Mark Gillespie

Andre Da Costa [Extended64] got up from the bar and shouted: :
> The said it would be available in the "near future", the only problem now is
> to figure out Microsofts intepretation of "near future".

Well, my XP Tecg Advancement set was supposed to ship in the near
future, that was 2 months ago now...

Apparently Microsofts 2x CD burner packed up, and are hunting down a
replacement in the skips ouside the back of Dell's factory in the luck
they may be able to find a working one, and commence burning those
upgrade disks....

Rick

I honestly think you all are under some misconceptions. The drivers
that Microsoft includes in the OS packages were originally written by
the OEMs, but have the Microsoft signature on them when they are
included in the OS package. Microsoft does not write the drivers for
3rd party hardware, they just put their 'stamp of approval' on them when
they are included in the published OS, or when they are part of a
Windows update.

Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
> yes, they do. But mostly, they provide a _lot_ of help, assistance, guidance,
> support and even goodies if you're a serious driver developer.

Wayne Wastier

news:OPFE$(E-Mail Removed)...
> They have been saying that for over 2 months at least.

It has actually been at least since last October that this was brought up,
and probably before that.

It is time for someone to contact Bill Gates himself for an answer.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Maybe they are using Easy CD Creator 5.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"Mark Gillespie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Andre Da Costa [Extended64] got up from the bar and shouted: :
>> The said it would be available in the "near future", the only problem now
>> is to figure out Microsofts intepretation of "near future".

> Well, my XP Tecg Advancement set was supposed to ship in the near future,
> that was 2 months ago now...
>
> Apparently Microsofts 2x CD burner packed up, and are hunting down a
> replacement in the skips ouside the back of Dell's factory in the luck
> they may be able to find a working one, and commence burning those upgrade
> disks....

John Barnes

Read the article about the interview with Chris Jones,Microsoft Corporate
Vice
President, Windows Core Operating System Program Management , He is
quoted as saying "Microsoft is doing a lot of the 64-bit drivers itself, and
the user can use
our generic driver until a company like ATI or NVIDIA comes out with their
driver.
Are you suggesting that he doesn't know what he is talking about?

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>I honestly think you all are under some misconceptions. The drivers that
>Microsoft includes in the OS packages were originally written by the OEMs,
>but have the Microsoft signature on them when they are included in the OS
>package. Microsoft does not write the drivers for 3rd party hardware, they
>just put their 'stamp of approval' on them when they are included in the
>published OS, or when they are part of a Windows update.
>

> Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
>> yes, they do. But mostly, they provide a _lot_ of help, assistance,
>> guidance, support and even goodies if you're a serious driver developer.

James Park

As long as it goes out before my free trial download expires so I can do a
repair install, I'm fine with it.

"Mark Gillespie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Andre Da Costa [Extended64] got up from the bar and shouted: :
>> The said it would be available in the "near future", the only problem now
>> is to figure out Microsofts intepretation of "near future".

> Well, my XP Tecg Advancement set was supposed to ship in the near future,
> that was 2 months ago now...
>
> Apparently Microsofts 2x CD burner packed up, and are hunting down a
> replacement in the skips ouside the back of Dell's factory in the luck
> they may be able to find a working one, and commence burning those upgrade
> disks....

Wayne Wastier

"James Park" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> As long as it goes out before my free trial download expires so I can do a
> repair install, I'm fine with it.

You do know that if you reinstall, after reformatting of course, you get
another 120 days.

Wayne

Charlie Russel - MVP

My understanding is in line with that, John. Some drivers were ported inhouse
to provide a "seed" of basic driver support. Probably with the OEMs driver
person sitting at the same console, but not necessarily.

--

John Barnes wrote:
> Read the article about the interview with Chris Jones,Microsoft
> Corporate Vice
> President, Windows Core Operating System Program Management , He is
> quoted as saying "Microsoft is doing a lot of the 64-bit drivers
> itself, and the user can use
> our generic driver until a company like ATI or NVIDIA comes out with
> their driver.
> Are you suggesting that he doesn't know what he is talking about?

> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I honestly think you all are under some misconceptions. The drivers
>> that Microsoft includes in the OS packages were originally written
>> by the OEMs, but have the Microsoft signature on them when they are
>> included in the OS package. Microsoft does not write the drivers
>> for 3rd party hardware, they just put their 'stamp of approval' on
>> them when they are included in the published OS, or when they are
>> part of a Windows update. Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
>>> yes, they do. But mostly, they provide a _lot_ of help, assistance,
>>> guidance, support and even goodies if you're a serious driver
>>> developer.

Rick

I would agree that Microsoft ported some existing 32 bit drivers to 64 bit.

Lack of Support Stephen Boursy Firefox 4 03-11-2005 04:37 PM
Spam and ISP lack of support Silverback Computer Support 11 02-06-2005 10:21 PM

Advertisments