Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > pc is a mess/ blow it up or not?

pc is a mess/ blow it up or not?

=?Utf-8?B?ZHIuIGplZmY=?=

I will try to keep this as short as I can. I have A compac presario 5000,
running xp pro. I have norton security 2004 pro. things were going fine until
about 8 wks ago. I got A couple small viruses or low security threats norton
could not remove that were adware. I don't like anything on my pc I can not
get rid of if I choose to.
I keep up on all my microsoft & norton updates. I decided to also purchase
norton systemworks 2005 to give me more control and options to keep things
running good and should work well with norton security? OK!!!!!!!, about a wk
after installing systemworks I started getting A error message for norton
that it has encountered an internal error and must shut down.( uninstall &
reinstall it )at this point it would not let me reinstall it, but found if I
used norton go back( a couple days ) then it would work( for about a wk )
then same message. i decided to restore my pc with my compac recovery cd's(
that I purchased last year to reset my pc because my hard drive went bad and
replaced it, and the original disk would not set up with new hard drive, ok
)I did all this and reinstalled my norton and got my undates for it and
microsoft. at this point now is the headach. Now when I start my pc it goes
straight to administator, even after I get my user accounts set up ( 4 )
if I log admin off then I get my log on screen with all users. the other
problem is my norton products will not open, they seem to try but won't, I
now have talked to at least 10 norton pc techs. they told me when I install
systemworks to do a custom install and not install norton antivirus 2005
because it will not work with security 2004 because it has its own virus
program( wish i would have known this in the beginning ) ok I did all this ,
used my recovery disk 4 times now. tried msn updates before norton, left
security 2004 uninstalled and only installed systemworks. but still can not
open it. I have spent hours with norton techs. look here do this, try this,
etc. nothing works. I can get my updates, and programs like checkit
dianostics, and the disk doctor will open. I can pay A tech to take A look
but for the money they want I'M thinking about just buying a whole new
program like xp home edition and going with other security programs other
than norton. any help would be welcome, i'm willing to try anything at this
point. (ready for fire in the hole!!!!)

Thanks, Dr, Jeff

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Not short enough, honestly, its not.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"dr. jeff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I will try to keep this as short as I can. I have A compac presario 5000,
> running xp pro. I have norton security 2004 pro. things were going fine
> until
> about 8 wks ago. I got A couple small viruses or low security threats
> norton
> could not remove that were adware. I don't like anything on my pc I can
> not
> get rid of if I choose to.
> I keep up on all my microsoft & norton updates. I decided to also purchase
> norton systemworks 2005 to give me more control and options to keep things
> running good and should work well with norton security? OK!!!!!!!, about a
> wk
> after installing systemworks I started getting A error message for norton
> that it has encountered an internal error and must shut down.( uninstall &
> reinstall it )at this point it would not let me reinstall it, but found if
> used norton go back( a couple days ) then it would work( for about a wk )
> then same message. i decided to restore my pc with my compac recovery
> cd's(
> that I purchased last year to reset my pc because my hard drive went bad
> and
> replaced it, and the original disk would not set up with new hard drive,
> ok
> )I did all this and reinstalled my norton and got my undates for it and
> microsoft. at this point now is the headach. Now when I start my pc it
> goes
> straight to administator, even after I get my user accounts set up ( 4 )
> if I log admin off then I get my log on screen with all users. the other
> problem is my norton products will not open, they seem to try but won't, I
> now have talked to at least 10 norton pc techs. they told me when I
> install
> systemworks to do a custom install and not install norton antivirus 2005
> because it will not work with security 2004 because it has its own virus
> program( wish i would have known this in the beginning ) ok I did all this
> ,
> used my recovery disk 4 times now. tried msn updates before norton, left
> security 2004 uninstalled and only installed systemworks. but still can
> not
> open it. I have spent hours with norton techs. look here do this, try
> this,
> etc. nothing works. I can get my updates, and programs like checkit
> dianostics, and the disk doctor will open. I can pay A tech to take A look
> but for the money they want I'M thinking about just buying a whole new
> program like xp home edition and going with other security programs other
> than norton. any help would be welcome, i'm willing to try anything at
> this
> point. (ready for fire in the hole!!!!)
>
> Thanks, Dr, Jeff

Jud Hendrix

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 08:39:11 -0700, "dr. jeff"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>i'm willing to try anything at this point. (ready for fire in the hole!!!!)

By the looks of it, I think you are in the wrong newsgroup, as the
software you metion doesn't run on Windows x64. So I might suggest you
go to news://microsoft.public.security.homeusers

jud

Torrey Lauer

Get rid of Norton, and never use it again. Try running Trend Micro's
PC-cillian or Computer Associates anti-virus. We used to use Norton, and
gave it up when it couldn't clean a virus. We've been using Trend Micro
ever since, and have not regreted it one bit.

BTW, are you on XP Pro x64? If you are, there are only a couple of
anti-virus programs that work on XP Pro x64 at this very moment.

--
Torrey Lauer
Modern Travel Services

Rainbow Sky Travel
rainbow sky travel DOT net
> [...]
> because it will not work with security 2004 because it has its own virus
> program( wish i would have known this in the beginning ) ok I did all this
> ,
> used my recovery disk 4 times now. tried msn updates before norton, left
> security 2004 uninstalled and only installed systemworks. but still can
> not
> open it. I have spent hours with norton techs. look here do this, try
> this,
> etc. nothing works. I can get my updates, and programs like checkit
> dianostics, and the disk doctor will open. I can pay A tech to take A look
> but for the money they want I'M thinking about just buying a whole new
> program like xp home edition and going with other security programs other
> than norton. any help would be welcome, i'm willing to try anything at

Rick

To start with, you are posting in the wrong news group. This news group
is for the new Windows XP Professional x64 and Windows Server 2003 x64 -
both 64 bit operating systems for the AMD64 and EM64T processors.

I see nothing in your post that indicates you have either a 64-bit OS,
or a 64-bit computer.

dr. jeff wrote:
> I will try to keep this as short as I can. I have A compac presario 5000,
> running xp pro. I have norton security 2004 pro. things were going fine until
> about 8 wks ago. I got A couple small viruses or low security threats norton
> could not remove that were adware. I don't like anything on my pc I can not
> get rid of if I choose to.
> I keep up on all my microsoft & norton updates. I decided to also purchase
> norton systemworks 2005 to give me more control and options to keep things
> running good and should work well with norton security? OK!!!!!!!, about a wk
> after installing systemworks I started getting A error message for norton
> that it has encountered an internal error and must shut down.( uninstall &
> reinstall it )at this point it would not let me reinstall it, but found if I
> used norton go back( a couple days ) then it would work( for about a wk )
> then same message. i decided to restore my pc with my compac recovery cd's(
> that I purchased last year to reset my pc because my hard drive went bad and
> replaced it, and the original disk would not set up with new hard drive, ok
> )I did all this and reinstalled my norton and got my undates for it and
> microsoft. at this point now is the headach. Now when I start my pc it goes
> straight to administator, even after I get my user accounts set up ( 4 )
> if I log admin off then I get my log on screen with all users. the other
> problem is my norton products will not open, they seem to try but won't, I
> now have talked to at least 10 norton pc techs. they told me when I install
> systemworks to do a custom install and not install norton antivirus 2005
> because it will not work with security 2004 because it has its own virus
> program( wish i would have known this in the beginning ) ok I did all this ,
> used my recovery disk 4 times now. tried msn updates before norton, left
> security 2004 uninstalled and only installed systemworks. but still can not
> open it. I have spent hours with norton techs. look here do this, try this,
> etc. nothing works. I can get my updates, and programs like checkit
> dianostics, and the disk doctor will open. I can pay A tech to take A look
> but for the money they want I'M thinking about just buying a whole new
> program like xp home edition and going with other security programs other
> than norton. any help would be welcome, i'm willing to try anything at this
> point. (ready for fire in the hole!!!!)
>
> Thanks, Dr, Jeff

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

After scrolling through, I didn't bother, but yes, if this is Norton retail
product issue then its a 32 bit Windows issue.
--
> [...]

> because it will not work with security 2004 because it has its own virus
> program( wish i would have known this in the beginning ) ok I did all this
> ,
> used my recovery disk 4 times now. tried msn updates before norton, left
> security 2004 uninstalled and only installed systemworks. but still can
> not
> open it. I have spent hours with norton techs. look here do this, try
> this,
> etc. nothing works. I can get my updates, and programs like checkit
> dianostics, and the disk doctor will open. I can pay A tech to take A look
> but for the money they want I'M thinking about just buying a whole new
> program like xp home edition and going with other security programs other
> than norton. any help would be welcome, i'm willing to try anything at

Tom Ferguson

Good try but microsoft.public.security.homeusers is a news group on a
server rather than an NNTP news server.

NEWS://msnews.microsoft.com is the server

so
NEWS://msnews.microsoft.com/microsof...rity.homeusers

is the complete link.

All the best.
Tom
MSMVP
Windows Shell/User

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
: <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:
: >i'm willing to try anything at this point. (ready for fire in the
hole!!!!)
:
: By the looks of it, I think you are in the wrong newsgroup, as the
: software you metion doesn't run on Windows x64. So I might suggest you
: go to news://microsoft.public.security.homeusers
:
: jud
:

Jud Hendrix

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 13:37:28 -0300, "Tom Ferguson" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Good try but microsoft.public.security.homeusers is a news group on a
>server rather than an NNTP news server.

Oh, my provider carries it hence the incomplete address.
Thanks for making it complete.

jud

Randy

Actually, your idea to change over to XP home is prolly the best one. Leave
Norton System Works off as well. Then find a neighborhood teen to work your
computer for you maybe... ;~)

Norton is great for running off the CD or for custom installs (e.g., Ghost),
but installing the whole deal is just asking for trouble and slow downs.