Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Compile our own unofficial HCL for x64

Compile our own unofficial HCL for x64

John Barnes

Seems like you left out version ME The whole key is going to be getting
the big assemblers to switch to x64 for desktop 64-bit processor systems.
If not there is not much hope. One thing that would help would be a
procedure like upgrading to XP where a potential customer could find out
what programs and hardware would not work on XP initially. Do one for x64.

"Torrey Lauer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> John, keep in mind, however, that MS is planning to deliver Longhorn in 32
> bit AND 64 bit.
>
> By that time though, there will be a lot more drivers available for 64
> bit, BUT, thre still may be some compatibility issues with existing 32 bit
> and 64 bit drivers going from XP to Longhorn just as there was going from
> 98 to 2000 and in some cases from 98 or 2000 to XP.
>
> --
> Torrey Lauer
> Modern Travel Services
> moderntravel DOT net
>
> Rainbow Sky Travel
> rainbow sky travel DOT net
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> My guess is that when the driver specs are out for Longhorn 64-bit and if
>> they are relatively similar to the x64 drivers necessary, a lot more
>> hardware vendors will start the driver coding. With little current
>> demand why should they risk having two major driver rewrites. You can
>> interpret Microsoft's decision not to release a 64-bit Retail version as
>> 1. They don't want the confusion with customers buying it not realising
>> it won't install on the 32-bit systems, or 2. They realise there isn't
>> enough support software/hardware and don't want retail customers calling
>> their support department every time there is something that doesn't work.
>> As far as I can see there isn't even an official label that designates
>> compatible hardware/software (ie XP64) Until Microsoft designates one or
>> publishes lists of compatible products, everything one buys is a gamble.
>> You can't return the opened software that doesn't work, and that could
>> get expensive. Hardware you will usually have a 15% or larger
>> re-stocking fee if you can't find drivers.

>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Anybody who knows about x64 should know what they are getting themselves
>>> into, this product is not well publicized by Microsoft to make it
>>> something you buy because of its publicity.
>>> --
>>> Andre
>>>
>>> "Jed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news(E-Mail Removed)...

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Actually John, all editions of Longhorn except the starter edition will be
64 bit except the Starter Edition, this was confirmed at WinHEC 2005. The
user will have the option to choose whether they want to say, install the 32
bit or 64 bit edition of Longhorn Home Edition. I would think this will
still be a license option here no 2 licenses.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

news:(E-Mail Removed)...