Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Compile our own unofficial HCL for x64

Compile our own unofficial HCL for x64

David R. Norton MVP

"Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in:

> That is definitely great advice when it comes to x64, you are assured you
> getting the best experience, and you are guranteed thing just works out of
> the box.

Well, the things on the motherboard should work right out of the box. But
then the purchaser goes home and adds his printer, scanner and other hardware
and the search for drivers begins again.....

A HCL would be nice.

--
David R. Norton MVP
<(E-Mail Removed)>

John Barnes

And then they try to install their programs and find that half don't
install, crash the system when installing or only part of their functions
work.

"David R. Norton MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns967C9C59D250Bdrnortonyahoocom@207.46.248.1 6...
> "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in:
>
>> That is definitely great advice when it comes to x64, you are assured you
>> getting the best experience, and you are guranteed thing just works out
>> of
>> the box.

> Well, the things on the motherboard should work right out of the box. But
> then the purchaser goes home and adds his printer, scanner and other
> hardware
> and the search for drivers begins again.....
>
> A HCL would be nice.
>

> --
> David R. Norton MVP
> <(E-Mail Removed)>

Jed

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 17:08:50 -0700, "John Barnes" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"David R. Norton MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:Xns967C9C59D250Bdrnortonyahoocom@207.46.248. 16...
>> "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in:
>>
>>> That is definitely great advice when it comes to x64, you are assured you
>>> getting the best experience, and you are guranteed thing just works out
>>> of
>>> the box.

>> Well, the things on the motherboard should work right out of the box. But
>> then the purchaser goes home and adds his printer, scanner and other
>> hardware
>> and the search for drivers begins again.....
>>
>> A HCL would be nice.
>>

>> --
>> David R. Norton MVP
>> <(E-Mail Removed)>

>And then they try to install their programs and find that half don't
>install, crash the system when installing or only part of their functions
>work.

Did you do any research prior to deciding to become an early adopter
of a new operating system? I'm surprised at your surprise that certain
drivers are unavailable and that certain apps don't install or
function under x64. The subject was certainly discussed enough prior
to the release in this forum and elsewhere. I'm also suprised at the
frequency with which you complain to the choir who already know that
certain apps don't work and some drivers are unavailable.

I was deciding which machine to build as my next project about 2
months ago when I became intrigued with building a 64-bit PC. I did a
bit of research including reading this newsgroup and a number of
64-bit related websites and was under no misconception about what I
was getting myself into by going with x64. I knew beforehand that some
programs/hardware I might want to use might be unavailable for awhile.
I also knew that it would be unwise to make the x64 machine the
primary machine for critical apps until they were proven to work
reliably.

Nevertheless, I decided that it would be fun and a learning experience
to test out a relatively new operating system that had a lot of
potential.

So far, save for a few minor utilities and games, everything I've
tried to install has worked under x64. Some things don't work, but I
was prepared for that.

I recall having to replace some equipment and wait for some drivers
when I upgraded to XP Pro. XP Pro to x64 hasn't felt that much
different a process to me. Certainly nothing to get upset about.

All that said, I think the unofficial HCL for x64 would be useful.

John Barnes

I'm not complaining or surprised, and I certainly didn't expect much that
hasn't worked to work. I, like others here, advise those who seem to be
thinking of adopting x64, without doing the research you did, that they
should consider the test version and dual booting before they take the
plunge. I was in the beta program (and beta newsgroup until it closed)
though I didn't update to the final beta, and pretty much knew what would
work. I am, in fact happy that I have been able to get my hardware, except
the scanner, and modem (which I replaced with one recommended here) and have
been trying to get others to try already installed printer drivers so they
don't get frustrated. Unfortunately, obviously, a lot of folks give up
because they have no easy instructions on how to install the driver and
direct the printing to the USB port that the printer is connected to. The
system has a better chance of succeeding if people know what the challenges
will be before they cancel their x86 license without a clue. Sorry that
seems to bother you, but there is always blocking. My biggest disappointment
is that I cannot get my work programs to work on x64 so have to spend most
of my time on x86. Incidentally, I bought the OEM version the first day it
was available from Directron and kept my x86 license.

Cheerio..

"Jed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 17:08:50 -0700, "John Barnes" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>"David R. Norton MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:Xns967C9C59D250Bdrnortonyahoocom@207.46.248 .16...

>>> Well, the things on the motherboard should work right out of the box.
>>> But
>>> then the purchaser goes home and adds his printer, scanner and other
>>> hardware
>>> and the search for drivers begins again.....
>>>
>>> A HCL would be nice.
>>>

>>> --
>>> David R. Norton MVP
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)>

>>And then they try to install their programs and find that half don't
>>install, crash the system when installing or only part of their functions
>>work.

> Did you do any research prior to deciding to become an early adopter
> of a new operating system? I'm surprised at your surprise that certain
> drivers are unavailable and that certain apps don't install or
> function under x64. The subject was certainly discussed enough prior
> to the release in this forum and elsewhere. I'm also suprised at the
> frequency with which you complain to the choir who already know that
> certain apps don't work and some drivers are unavailable.
>
> I was deciding which machine to build as my next project about 2
> months ago when I became intrigued with building a 64-bit PC. I did a
> bit of research including reading this newsgroup and a number of
> 64-bit related websites and was under no misconception about what I
> was getting myself into by going with x64. I knew beforehand that some
> programs/hardware I might want to use might be unavailable for awhile.
> I also knew that it would be unwise to make the x64 machine the
> primary machine for critical apps until they were proven to work
> reliably.
>
> Nevertheless, I decided that it would be fun and a learning experience
> to test out a relatively new operating system that had a lot of
> potential.
>
> So far, save for a few minor utilities and games, everything I've
> tried to install has worked under x64. Some things don't work, but I
> was prepared for that.
>
> I recall having to replace some equipment and wait for some drivers
> when I upgraded to XP Pro. XP Pro to x64 hasn't felt that much
> different a process to me. Certainly nothing to get upset about.
>
> All that said, I think the unofficial HCL for x64 would be useful.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Anybody who knows about x64 should know what they are getting themselves
into, this product is not well publicized by Microsoft to make it something
you buy because of its publicity.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"Jed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 17:08:50 -0700, "John Barnes" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>"David R. Norton MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:Xns967C9C59D250Bdrnortonyahoocom@207.46.248 .16...

>>> Well, the things on the motherboard should work right out of the box.
>>> But
>>> then the purchaser goes home and adds his printer, scanner and other
>>> hardware
>>> and the search for drivers begins again.....
>>>
>>> A HCL would be nice.
>>>

>>> --
>>> David R. Norton MVP
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)>

>>And then they try to install their programs and find that half don't
>>install, crash the system when installing or only part of their functions
>>work.

> Did you do any research prior to deciding to become an early adopter
> of a new operating system? I'm surprised at your surprise that certain
> drivers are unavailable and that certain apps don't install or
> function under x64. The subject was certainly discussed enough prior
> to the release in this forum and elsewhere. I'm also suprised at the
> frequency with which you complain to the choir who already know that
> certain apps don't work and some drivers are unavailable.
>
> I was deciding which machine to build as my next project about 2
> months ago when I became intrigued with building a 64-bit PC. I did a
> bit of research including reading this newsgroup and a number of
> 64-bit related websites and was under no misconception about what I
> was getting myself into by going with x64. I knew beforehand that some
> programs/hardware I might want to use might be unavailable for awhile.
> I also knew that it would be unwise to make the x64 machine the
> primary machine for critical apps until they were proven to work
> reliably.
>
> Nevertheless, I decided that it would be fun and a learning experience
> to test out a relatively new operating system that had a lot of
> potential.
>
> So far, save for a few minor utilities and games, everything I've
> tried to install has worked under x64. Some things don't work, but I
> was prepared for that.
>
> I recall having to replace some equipment and wait for some drivers
> when I upgraded to XP Pro. XP Pro to x64 hasn't felt that much
> different a process to me. Certainly nothing to get upset about.
>
> All that said, I think the unofficial HCL for x64 would be useful.

John Barnes

My guess is that when the driver specs are out for Longhorn 64-bit and if
they are relatively similar to the x64 drivers necessary, a lot more
hardware vendors will start the driver coding. With little current demand
why should they risk having two major driver rewrites. You can interpret
Microsoft's decision not to release a 64-bit Retail version as 1. They
don't want the confusion with customers buying it not realising it won't
install on the 32-bit systems, or 2. They realise there isn't enough
support software/hardware and don't want retail customers calling their
support department every time there is something that doesn't work.
As far as I can see there isn't even an official label that designates
compatible hardware/software (ie XP64) Until Microsoft designates one or
publishes lists of compatible products, everything one buys is a gamble.
You can't return the opened software that doesn't work, and that could get
expensive. Hardware you will usually have a 15% or larger re-stocking fee
if you can't find drivers.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Anybody who knows about x64 should know what they are getting themselves
> into, this product is not well publicized by Microsoft to make it
> something you buy because of its publicity.
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>
> "Jed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 17:08:50 -0700, "John Barnes" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>"David R. Norton MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:Xns967C9C59D250Bdrnortonyahoocom@207.46.24 8.16...

>>>And then they try to install their programs and find that half don't
>>>install, crash the system when installing or only part of their functions
>>>work.

>> Did you do any research prior to deciding to become an early adopter
>> of a new operating system? I'm surprised at your surprise that certain
>> drivers are unavailable and that certain apps don't install or
>> function under x64. The subject was certainly discussed enough prior
>> to the release in this forum and elsewhere. I'm also suprised at the
>> frequency with which you complain to the choir who already know that
>> certain apps don't work and some drivers are unavailable.
>>
>> I was deciding which machine to build as my next project about 2
>> months ago when I became intrigued with building a 64-bit PC. I did a
>> bit of research including reading this newsgroup and a number of
>> 64-bit related websites and was under no misconception about what I
>> was getting myself into by going with x64. I knew beforehand that some
>> programs/hardware I might want to use might be unavailable for awhile.
>> I also knew that it would be unwise to make the x64 machine the
>> primary machine for critical apps until they were proven to work
>> reliably.
>>
>> Nevertheless, I decided that it would be fun and a learning experience
>> to test out a relatively new operating system that had a lot of
>> potential.
>>
>> So far, save for a few minor utilities and games, everything I've
>> tried to install has worked under x64. Some things don't work, but I
>> was prepared for that.
>>
>> I recall having to replace some equipment and wait for some drivers
>> when I upgraded to XP Pro. XP Pro to x64 hasn't felt that much
>> different a process to me. Certainly nothing to get upset about.
>>
>> All that said, I think the unofficial HCL for x64 would be useful.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Chris Jones said Longhorn x64 will support XP Pro x64 drivers, so I don't
see how Longhorn x64 is gonna work out if we are not getting a good flow of
drivers now.
--
> [...]

>>> programs/hardware I might want to use might be unavailable for awhile.
>>> I also knew that it would be unwise to make the x64 machine the
>>> primary machine for critical apps until they were proven to work
>>> reliably.
>>>
>>> Nevertheless, I decided that it would be fun and a learning experience
>>> to test out a relatively new operating system that had a lot of
>>> potential.
>>>
>>> So far, save for a few minor utilities and games, everything I've
>>> tried to install has worked under x64. Some things don't work, but I
>>> was prepared for that.
>>>
>>> I recall having to replace some equipment and wait for some drivers
>>> when I upgraded to XP Pro. XP Pro to x64 hasn't felt that much
>>> different a process to me. Certainly nothing to get upset about.
>>>
>>> All that said, I think the unofficial HCL for x64 would be useful.

Thanks, I didn't see that. Should get things flowing. I hope Microsoft
decides to sell a Retail version (though doubt it). Someone has to have
confidence in desktop user support(for volume), and for now you don't see it
in companies like Dell an HP which ship virtually all 64-bit computers with
x86 and I haven't heard any having their own Technology Advancement program.
Have you?

news:%23%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Chris Jones said Longhorn x64 will support XP Pro x64 drivers, so I don't
> see how Longhorn x64 is gonna work out if we are not getting a good flow
> of drivers now.
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> My guess is that when the driver specs are out for Longhorn 64-bit and if
>> they are relatively similar to the x64 drivers necessary, a lot more
>> hardware vendors will start the driver coding. With little current
>> demand why should they risk having two major driver rewrites. You can
>> interpret Microsoft's decision not to release a 64-bit Retail version as
>> 1. They don't want the confusion with customers buying it not realising
>> it won't install on the 32-bit systems, or 2. They realise there isn't
>> enough support software/hardware and don't want retail customers calling
>> their support department every time there is something that doesn't work.
>> As far as I can see there isn't even an official label that designates
>> compatible hardware/software (ie XP64) Until Microsoft designates one or
>> publishes lists of compatible products, everything one buys is a gamble.
>> You can't return the opened software that doesn't work, and that could
>> get expensive. Hardware you will usually have a 15% or larger
>> re-stocking fee if you can't find drivers.

>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Anybody who knows about x64 should know what they are getting themselves
>>> into, this product is not well publicized by Microsoft to make it
>>> something you buy because of its publicity.
>>> --
>>> Andre
>>>
>>> "Jed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news(E-Mail Removed)...

Torrey Lauer

John, keep in mind, however, that MS is planning to deliver Longhorn in 32
bit AND 64 bit.

By that time though, there will be a lot more drivers available for 64 bit,
BUT, thre still may be some compatibility issues with existing 32 bit and 64
bit drivers going from XP to Longhorn just as there was going from 98 to
2000 and in some cases from 98 or 2000 to XP.

--
Torrey Lauer
Modern Travel Services

Rainbow Sky Travel
rainbow sky travel DOT net
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
>>> programs/hardware I might want to use might be unavailable for awhile.
>>> I also knew that it would be unwise to make the x64 machine the
>>> primary machine for critical apps until they were proven to work
>>> reliably.
>>>
>>> Nevertheless, I decided that it would be fun and a learning experience
>>> to test out a relatively new operating system that had a lot of
>>> potential.
>>>
>>> So far, save for a few minor utilities and games, everything I've
>>> tried to install has worked under x64. Some things don't work, but I
>>> was prepared for that.
>>>
>>> I recall having to replace some equipment and wait for some drivers
>>> when I upgraded to XP Pro. XP Pro to x64 hasn't felt that much
>>> different a process to me. Certainly nothing to get upset about.
>>>
>>> All that said, I think the unofficial HCL for x64 would be useful.

I think the only time we'll see a retail version of 64 bit OS from MS will
be with Longhorn. I could be wrong, but that's my guess.

--
Torrey Lauer
Modern Travel Services

Rainbow Sky Travel