Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Compile our own unofficial HCL for x64

Compile our own unofficial HCL for x64

wewa

Too bad this is not a wiki...

So if one was to go out and buy a new PC right now, and wanted to buy based
on current x64 compatibility, so that they would have little/no problems and
be up and running smoothly with a fresh x64 install, what would be our
newsgroups own Hardware Compatibility List?

Essentially, what are you using that has a driver and is working for you?

Excuse me if MS has posted one, but I haven't seen it.

Motherboards with all components 64 drivers readily available today?

Video Cards with 64 drivers?

Audio Cards:

NICs:

HDD:

Drives:

Keyboard:

Mouse:

Printers:

Scanners

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Unfortunately there isn't any official HCL from Microsoft, but I think
someone in the newsgroups has been compiling one, Chris I think it is.
www.hcl.ms

Hopefully this will be available from Microsoft in the near future and third
party websites like that one from Chris is also helping .

Check here too:
http://www.3dvelocity.com/articles/w...64hardlist.htm
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"wewa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Too bad this is not a wiki...
>
> So if one was to go out and buy a new PC right now, and wanted to buy
> based on current x64 compatibility, so that they would have little/no
> problems and be up and running smoothly with a fresh x64 install, what
> would be our newsgroups own Hardware Compatibility List?
>
> Essentially, what are you using that has a driver and is working for you?
>
> Excuse me if MS has posted one, but I haven't seen it.
>

> Motherboards with all components 64 drivers readily available today?
>
> Video Cards with 64 drivers?
>
> Audio Cards:
>
> NICs:
>
> HDD:
>
> Drives:
>
> Keyboard:
>
> Mouse:
>
> Printers:
>
> Scanners

wewa

The 3d velocity web site looks to be a good start.
I'm compiling my list of hardware on my x64 machine to contribute to the
list.

Thanks Andre!

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Unfortunately there isn't any official HCL from Microsoft, but I think
> someone in the newsgroups has been compiling one, Chris I think it is.
> www.hcl.ms
>
> Hopefully this will be available from Microsoft in the near future and
> third party websites like that one from Chris is also helping .
>
> Check here too:
> http://www.3dvelocity.com/articles/w...64hardlist.htm
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>
> "wewa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Too bad this is not a wiki...
>>
>> So if one was to go out and buy a new PC right now, and wanted to buy
>> based on current x64 compatibility, so that they would have little/no
>> problems and be up and running smoothly with a fresh x64 install, what
>> would be our newsgroups own Hardware Compatibility List?
>>
>> Essentially, what are you using that has a driver and is working for you?
>>
>> Excuse me if MS has posted one, but I haven't seen it.
>>

>> Motherboards with all components 64 drivers readily available today?
>>
>> Video Cards with 64 drivers?
>>
>> Audio Cards:
>>
>> NICs:
>>
>> HDD:
>>
>> Drives:
>>
>> Keyboard:
>>
>> Mouse:
>>
>> Printers:
>>
>> Scanners

Spiky

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/...?redir=IEGFC07

This is a good site for drivers info.

"wewa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> The 3d velocity web site looks to be a good start.
> I'm compiling my list of hardware on my x64 machine to contribute to the
> list.
>
> Thanks Andre!

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Unfortunately there isn't any official HCL from Microsoft, but I think
>> someone in the newsgroups has been compiling one, Chris I think it is.
>> www.hcl.ms
>>
>> Hopefully this will be available from Microsoft in the near future and
>> third party websites like that one from Chris is also helping .
>>
>> Check here too:
>> http://www.3dvelocity.com/articles/w...64hardlist.htm
>> --
>> Andre
>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>>
>> "wewa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Too bad this is not a wiki...
>>>
>>> So if one was to go out and buy a new PC right now, and wanted to buy
>>> based on current x64 compatibility, so that they would have little/no
>>> problems and be up and running smoothly with a fresh x64 install, what
>>> would be our newsgroups own Hardware Compatibility List?
>>>
>>> Essentially, what are you using that has a driver and is working for
>>> you?
>>>
>>> Excuse me if MS has posted one, but I haven't seen it.
>>>

>>> Motherboards with all components 64 drivers readily available today?
>>>
>>> Video Cards with 64 drivers?
>>>
>>> Audio Cards:
>>>
>>> NICs:
>>>
>>> HDD:
>>>
>>> Drives:
>>>
>>> Keyboard:
>>>
>>> Mouse:
>>>
>>> Printers:
>>>
>>> Scanners

Lynn McGuire

> So if one was to go out and buy a new PC right now, and wanted to buy based on current x64 compatibility, so that they would have
> little/no problems and be up and running smoothly with a fresh x64 install, what would be our newsgroups own Hardware
> Compatibility List?

Tyan 2875 with dual Opteron 250 (all devices are active including audio and lan)
Microsoft 4 button mouse
Northgate Omnikey keyboard (oldie but a goldie)
ATI 9800 video board
WD 74 GB Raptor - had to load SATA driver from tyan website during WIN Xp x64 install
WD 250 GB - SATA
HP 4600 DN color laserjet
HP 4100 DN laserjet
Samsung 213T LCD monitor running 1280 x 1024 x 32bit at 75 hz

Lynn

wewa

> newsgroups own Hardware Compatibility List?
>
> Essentially, what are you using that has a driver and is working for you?
>
> Excuse me if MS has posted one, but I haven't seen it.

Sorry, got carried away and did software too...

WORKING:
Dell Xeon EMT64 3.0 GHz (dual capable)
Intel Pro/1000 MT Server Connection onboard
Sata Maxtor (maxtor sucks!)/Sata WD/ATA Seagate
NEC DVDRW DL/LG CDROM/LG DVDRAM DL 16x multidrive
BFG Nvidia GeForce 6600GT PCI Express 16 dual DVI w/Nvidia driver 71.84
download
dual Dell 20" Wide LCD DVI
Logitech wireless keyboard (volume buttons work!)/mouse w/scroll
Creative Soundblaster Live 24 bit external USB (native x64 driver)

WMP10
Real Alternative 1.40 w/ realmediasplitter.ax
Quicktime 7 beta
Adobe Reader 7.0
Firefox 1.0.4 with speedup tweaks, Flash, Shockwave
SSHclient 3.2.9
Avast Home Edition 4.6
MSN Messenger 7.0
Softmaker Textmaker 2002 www.softmaker.de
DVD Decrypter 3.5.4.0
Gspot252b01/Xvid103/Divx521/oggDS0995/3ivx451/VP6
Flashget 1.65
Bittorrent 4.1.2 beta
Windows Install cleanup
WinRAR 342
Everest Home Edition 1.51
flickr uploadr v1.0

KINDA WORKING:
External USB 2.0 Hard drives - hot plugging (mount/unmount iffy, mostly
needs reboot)

NOT WORKING:
Adaptec DuoConnect AUA-3020 USB2&FW PCI card http://tinyurl.com/dou6b
Samsung laser printer ML-2151n & ML-1740 http://tinyurl.com/8fpx4

Sun Java JRE 1.5.0rc amd64 or 1.5.0.03-p-iftw
Windows Remote Assistance (native x64)

ChrisC

Hi,
http://www.ntcompatible.com/compat.p...dowsXP64&idx=0 &
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/DevelopWithAMD/0,,30_2252_869_875^10454,00.html
ChrisC

You are welcome.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"wewa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> The 3d velocity web site looks to be a good start.
> I'm compiling my list of hardware on my x64 machine to contribute to the
> list.
>
> Thanks Andre!

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Unfortunately there isn't any official HCL from Microsoft, but I think
>> someone in the newsgroups has been compiling one, Chris I think it is.
>> www.hcl.ms
>>
>> Hopefully this will be available from Microsoft in the near future and
>> third party websites like that one from Chris is also helping .
>>
>> Check here too:
>> http://www.3dvelocity.com/articles/w...64hardlist.htm
>> --
>> Andre
>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>>
>> "wewa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Too bad this is not a wiki...
>>>
>>> So if one was to go out and buy a new PC right now, and wanted to buy
>>> based on current x64 compatibility, so that they would have little/no
>>> problems and be up and running smoothly with a fresh x64 install, what
>>> would be our newsgroups own Hardware Compatibility List?
>>>
>>> Essentially, what are you using that has a driver and is working for
>>> you?
>>>
>>> Excuse me if MS has posted one, but I haven't seen it.
>>>

>>> Motherboards with all components 64 drivers readily available today?
>>>
>>> Video Cards with 64 drivers?
>>>
>>> Audio Cards:
>>>
>>> NICs:
>>>
>>> HDD:
>>>
>>> Drives:
>>>
>>> Keyboard:
>>>
>>> Mouse:
>>>
>>> Printers:
>>>
>>> Scanners

Thomas Steffen

wewa wrote:

> So if one was to go out and buy a new PC right now, and wanted to buy based
> on current x64 compatibility, so that they would have little/no problems and
> be up and running smoothly with a fresh x64 install, what would be our
> newsgroups own Hardware Compatibility List?

By all means, get XP x64 preinstalled. That way you are sure that it
works, and it saves you *a lot* of hassle.

> Motherboards with all components 64 drivers readily available today?

Everything 64bit should be expected to come with drivers...

> Video Cards with 64 drivers?

NVidia and Radeon have x64 drivers.

> Mouse:

Hope it works with the standard driver.

> Printers:

Looks pretty bad. Especially inkjet support seems very sparse.

> Scanners

Work than printers, desperate would be the word

For printers and scanners, you should check out with the manufacturer
whether they have drivers ready.

Thomas

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

That is definitely great advice when it comes to x64, you are assured you
getting the best experience, and you are guranteed thing just works out of
the box. And you will have better inventory knowledge of the devices that
will certainly work with the system, so if something goes bad just go buy
another from manufacturer or get a replacement from the OEM.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta