Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > WinZip 9.0 - explorer extensions not there

WinZip 9.0 - explorer extensions not there

Charlie Russel - MVP

Good. The more who do, the more likely they'll assign the appropriate
resources.

--
Charlie.
http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/

Don Awalt wrote:
> Yes, I sent a support message to WInzip about the extensions not
> working! Thanks for your help.
>
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Yes, known issue. The problem is that WinZIP is a pure 32-bit
>> application, and the extensions are 32-bit as well. But Windows
>> Explorer is 64-bit, and 64-bit programs can't call 32-bit dlls (and
>> 32-bit programs can't call 64-bit dlls). There is a workaround,
>> however: ==========
>> See KB #895561 Some Windows Explorer extensions and some Control
>> Panel items are not available in x64 Edition.
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=895561
>>
>> a.) create a shortcut to: "%windir%\syswow64\explorer.exe
>> /separate" (remove the quotes) and place it on your desktop
>> b.) use this version of Windows Explorer and your extensions
>> will work.
>>
>> Meanwhile, let the folks at WinZip know you don't like that
>> workaround and want a real 64-bit program.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/
>>

>> Don Awalt wrote:
>>> Is anyone else using Winzip 9.0 on XP 64? It seems the explorer
>>> extensions do not show up (like you can right click on a group of
>>> files and select "WinZip/Add.... etc.")
>>>

>>> Has anyone else seen this?

Charlie Russel - MVP

Thanks.

--

Don Awalt wrote:
> Thanks guys, good info..
>

> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I've just blogged two workarounds to this at
>> http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64 -- the 32-bit Explorer one I posted
>> earlier and a more generic one using a modified SendTo menu.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/
>>

>> Don Awalt wrote:
>>> Is anyone else using Winzip 9.0 on XP 64? It seems the explorer
>>> extensions do not show up (like you can right click on a group of
>>> files and select "WinZip/Add.... etc.")
>>>

>>> Has anyone else seen this?

Don Awalt

Well here is the reply I got, and what I replied. I really think they are
being naive...

============================

Thank you for contacting us. The current 32 bit shell extension DLL is
ineffective in the 64 bit environment.

We at WinZip Computing, Inc., occasionally receive this request.
However, to date we have not received enough user requests to warrant
adding this to the program. I will forward your vote for this feature
to development.

Thank you for your feedback.

=============================

My reply:

Thanks. I would just add that given the world is moving to 64 bit, albeit
slowly with XP x64 just being released (and a server OS available too), I
would hope that WinZip stays in its position as leader and not follower - do
you add the support knowing the market is going there, or do you follow with
a loss of customers who have already left?

For example, I was a long time Norton Symantec user. They have no support
for 64 bit. McAfee does. So guess what - I am using McAfee AV now, and I
won't go back to Norton as I have already invested in my 64 bit platform.
Even if Norton had announced plans and I had to wait a few months, I
probably would. But no commitment at all, like WinZip, means I have to move
on.

Here's another case a little closer to home - according to the XP x64
newsgroup, both WinRAR and IZarc support 64 bit. I have not used IZarc, but
WinRAR is a very good program so you may lose customers that don't come back
by the time you support 64 bit. My question about whether others saw this
issue with WinZIP got 10 replies, so you may be in a very dangerous
predicament assuming most developers are going to contact you about an
issue - IMHO most will see it does not work, read the forums and find out
what works, and move on. That's why new technology platforms kill a lot of
software companies waiting for the world to ask them to move there.

Good luck, of course I need the support so I will be looking at WinRAR.
===============================
"Jud Hendrix" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 19:36:19 -1000, "NoNoBadDog!"
> <no_@spam_verizon.net> wrote:
>
>>Even better than WinRAR or WinZip is IZarc...and it's free!!!
>>
>>www.izarc.com

> That link didn't work. I found this one:
>
> http://izarc.sanesecurity.com/
>
> jud

Jud Hendrix

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 14:34:30 -0400, "Don Awalt"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Well here is the reply I got, and what I replied. I really think they are
>being naive...

I just e-mailed them as well, to add up the number of requests

jud

Charlie Russel - MVP

That's the same reply I got, and I agree completely with Don that it's a very
short sighted answer. Now the answer I got from Vern Buerg, of LIST fame, was
at least one I could understand and agree with -- he said LIST is written in
assembler, so porting isn't an option -- he has to do a complete rewrite. And
that takes time. OK, I'll buy that. Especially from someone who is hardly a
corporate entitity. And Somehow, I seriously doubt we've have gotten a reply
like that from WinZIP when it _wasn't_ a corporate entitity, but one guy,
writing the best little day to day utility out there that was his living.
Sadly, he sold the business and now we get this sort of non-answer.

--

Jud Hendrix wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 14:34:30 -0400, "Don Awalt"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Well here is the reply I got, and what I replied. I really think
>> they are being naive...

> I just e-mailed them as well, to add up the number of requests
>
> jud

Jud Hendrix

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 13:58:52 -0700, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>That's the same reply I got,

Me2

jud
(let's start a me2-thread)

Don Awalt

I agree Charlie - it's not the fact there isn't a product available, it's
the lack of commitment. If they said "We expect we will have a 64 bit
version in September" or something, I would happily wait. But how can I
stay with the product when they won't even commit? They could decide the
volume doesn't warrant doing a product until 2008 or something, when 64 bit
is mainstream and on my Mom's desk <g>

news:uLB%(E-Mail Removed)...
> That's the same reply I got, and I agree completely with Don that it's a
> very short sighted answer. Now the answer I got from Vern Buerg, of LIST
> fame, was at least one I could understand and agree with -- he said LIST
> is written in assembler, so porting isn't an option -- he has to do a
> complete rewrite. And that takes time. OK, I'll buy that. Especially from
> someone who is hardly a corporate entitity. And Somehow, I seriously doubt
> we've have gotten a reply like that from WinZIP when it _wasn't_ a
> corporate entitity, but one guy, writing the best little day to day
> utility out there that was his living. Sadly, he sold the business and now
> we get this sort of non-answer.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/
>

> Jud Hendrix wrote:
>> On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 14:34:30 -0400, "Don Awalt"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Well here is the reply I got, and what I replied. I really think
>>> they are being naive...

>> I just e-mailed them as well, to add up the number of requests
>>
>> jud

Jon Grieve

Jud Hendrix wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 13:58:52 -0700, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>That's the same reply I got,

> Me2
>
> jud