Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > ASUSUpdate + x64?

ASUSUpdate + x64?

Rafael Rivera [Extended64.com]

I've seen alot of reports in which the ASUSupdate program for Windows
works in XP64. Am I the only one that's receiving this error?

---------------------------
ASUS BIOSINFO.DLL
---------------------------
Unable to detect ASUS BIOS
---------------------------
OK
---------------------------

I've tried everything up to the now-removed unofficial 6.07.01 version
to no avail. I also extracted the InstallShield CAB data1.cab and tried
executing WinFlash.exe manually - No luck. Suggestions?

Assume no floppy is present.

--
Rafael Rivera
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

Steve Thompson

John Barnes

How about running AWDFLASH from a bootable CD? I haven't tried since I use
it on a floppy.

"Rafael Rivera [Extended64.com]" <rafael*at*extended64*dot*com> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've seen alot of reports in which the ASUSupdate program for Windows
> works in XP64. Am I the only one that's receiving this error?
>
> ---------------------------
> ASUS BIOSINFO.DLL
> ---------------------------
> Unable to detect ASUS BIOS
> ---------------------------
> OK
> ---------------------------
>
> I've tried everything up to the now-removed unofficial 6.07.01 version to
> no avail. I also extracted the InstallShield CAB data1.cab and tried
> executing WinFlash.exe manually - No luck. Suggestions?
>
> Assume no floppy is present.
>
> --
> Rafael Rivera
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
> Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/Rafael

Charlie Russel - MVP

Since ASUS has a DOS boot floppy option, something like BartsPE should give
you the ability to get the job done. (Personally, I haven't gotten the update
program to work in x64 -- I boot into 32-bit XP just for that. But a royal
PITA, actually.)

And, of course, the USB Floppy drive option -- it works fine on most ASUS
motherboards, I might add.

--
Charlie.

Rafael Rivera [Extended64.com] wrote:
> I've seen alot of reports in which the ASUSupdate program for Windows
> works in XP64. Am I the only one that's receiving this error?
>
> ---------------------------
> ASUS BIOSINFO.DLL
> ---------------------------
> Unable to detect ASUS BIOS
> ---------------------------
> OK
> ---------------------------
>
> I've tried everything up to the now-removed unofficial 6.07.01 version
> to no avail. I also extracted the InstallShield CAB data1.cab and
> tried executing WinFlash.exe manually - No luck. Suggestions?
>
> Assume no floppy is present.

John Barnes

I have now tried this and it works fine. Unless you use a CD_RW, which I
didn't try, you will have to use a new disk for each update and you will not
be able to use the backup feature.

news:O%(E-Mail Removed)...
> How about running AWDFLASH from a bootable CD? I haven't tried since I
> use it on a floppy.
>

> "Rafael Rivera [Extended64.com]" <rafael*at*extended64*dot*com> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I've seen alot of reports in which the ASUSupdate program for Windows
>> works in XP64. Am I the only one that's receiving this error?
>>
>> ---------------------------
>> ASUS BIOSINFO.DLL
>> ---------------------------
>> Unable to detect ASUS BIOS
>> ---------------------------
>> OK
>> ---------------------------
>>
>> I've tried everything up to the now-removed unofficial 6.07.01 version to
>> no avail. I also extracted the InstallShield CAB data1.cab and tried
>> executing WinFlash.exe manually - No luck. Suggestions?
>>
>> Assume no floppy is present.
>>
>> --
>> Rafael Rivera
>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>> Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/Rafael

Charlie Russel - MVP

Good idea, John, and it sounds like a viable workaround. Given how often one
has to burn a new BIOS, and the going cost of cheap blank CDs, I don't think
I'll worry about trying to make it CD-RW.

--
Charlie.

John Barnes wrote:
> I have now tried this and it works fine. Unless you use a CD_RW,
> which I didn't try, you will have to use a new disk for each update
> and you will not be able to use the backup feature.

> news:O%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> How about running AWDFLASH from a bootable CD? I haven't tried
>> since I use it on a floppy.
>>

>> "Rafael Rivera [Extended64.com]" <rafael*at*extended64*dot*com>
>> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I've seen alot of reports in which the ASUSupdate program for
>>> Windows works in XP64. Am I the only one that's receiving this
>>> error? ---------------------------
>>> ASUS BIOSINFO.DLL
>>> ---------------------------
>>> Unable to detect ASUS BIOS
>>> ---------------------------
>>> OK
>>> ---------------------------
>>>
>>> I've tried everything up to the now-removed unofficial 6.07.01
>>> version to no avail. I also extracted the InstallShield CAB
>>> data1.cab and tried executing WinFlash.exe manually - No luck.
>>> Suggestions? Assume no floppy is present.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Rafael Rivera
>>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>>> Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/Rafael

Rafael Rivera [Extended64.com]

I'm well aware of the alternative methods to flashing my BIOS, that's
not the issue. The purpose of my post was to gather information on how
people are using this ASUSupdate software item in x64 as I cannot get it
working.

Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
> Since ASUS has a DOS boot floppy option, something like BartsPE should give
> you the ability to get the job done. (Personally, I haven't gotten the update
> program to work in x64 -- I boot into 32-bit XP just for that. But a royal
> PITA, actually.)
>
> And, of course, the USB Floppy drive option -- it works fine on most ASUS
> motherboards, I might add.

Christian Hougardy

Rafael Rivera [Extended64.com] <rafael*at*extended64*dot*com> wrote:
> I'm well aware of the alternative methods to flashing my BIOS, that's
> not the issue. The purpose of my post was to gather information on how
> people are using this ASUSupdate software item in x64 as I cannot get
> it working.
>
> Rafael Rivera
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
> Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/Rafael

Hi Rafael,

Same here, doesn't work

--
Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
Johannesburg - South Africa

Wayne Wastier

Works fine here. Make sure you are running the latest version, that is
6.07.01

Just go to http://www.asus.com and select the download page. You will see it
under the HOT downloads.

Wayne Wastier