Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > External USB HDD - hot plug problems - does not automount, unmount

External USB HDD - hot plug problems - does not automount, unmount

wewa

Howdy,

Running x64 1433 and having a consistent problem with xp mounting volumes
and displaying them in 'my computer' window.

I'm not sure if its the PC hardware i'm running x64 on or x64. How would i
discern?
Although the same PC, when i boot xp pro 32bit, same ntfs volume external
usb 2.0 hdd hot plugs (mount, unmount) fine.

Tried other usb drives i have, same situation. Sometimes if i'm lucky, they
will automount. but never have i seen them unmount by themselves in x64.

I know its not the drives, as I have many of these external usb 2.0 drives
and they all hot plug fine on other xp pro, home, and such machines.

My sequence on the x64 is as follows:
- system up and running, need access to files on the external drive,
connected in the rear via usb 2.0 port & cable,
- turn power switch ON rear of drive, go to my computer, nothing appears,
- right click my computer, manage, disk management, sure enough drive has
red icon, 'disk 2 dynamic offline'
- right click and choose 'reactivate disk', sometimes, also have to
'rescan,' 'refresh' under 'action' menu.
- if drive does not appear, then i have to reboot with drive on.
- if i decide to unplug usb cable from rear of PC, or turn power switch OFF
on drive while booted, drive icon will still remain in 'my computer', does
not unmount like normal win xp 32bit.

Thanks.

Christian Hougardy

wewa <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> Running x64 1433 and having a consistent problem with xp mounting
> volumes and displaying them in 'my computer' window.
>
> I'm not sure if its the PC hardware i'm running x64 on or x64. How
> would i discern?
> Although the same PC, when i boot xp pro 32bit, same ntfs volume
> external usb 2.0 hdd hot plugs (mount, unmount) fine.
>
> Tried other usb drives i have, same situation. Sometimes if i'm
> lucky, they will automount. but never have i seen them unmount by
> themselves in x64.
> I know its not the drives, as I have many of these external usb 2.0
> drives and they all hot plug fine on other xp pro, home, and such
> machines.
> My sequence on the x64 is as follows:
> - system up and running, need access to files on the external drive,
> connected in the rear via usb 2.0 port & cable,
> - turn power switch ON rear of drive, go to my computer, nothing
> appears, - right click my computer, manage, disk management, sure enough
> drive
> has red icon, 'disk 2 dynamic offline'
> - right click and choose 'reactivate disk', sometimes, also have to
> 'rescan,' 'refresh' under 'action' menu.
> - if drive does not appear, then i have to reboot with drive on.
> - if i decide to unplug usb cable from rear of PC, or turn power
> switch OFF on drive while booted, drive icon will still remain in 'my
> computer', does not unmount like normal win xp 32bit.
>
> Thanks.

As far as I understand, you're runing a beta version of x64. Why don't you
try the trial version or go to the exchange programme.
It's not because it's working with XP x86 that it will work with x64.
Are you sure you're using the last x64 drivers ?

--
Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
Johannesburg - South Africa

wewa

i would 'love' to run the release version of x64.
But i have no idea when i will receive it as my order is 'pending.'

guess, i can reboot or leave the drive on, until then.

thanks.

"Christian Hougardy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> wewa <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Howdy,
> >
> > Running x64 1433 and having a consistent problem with xp mounting
> > volumes and displaying them in 'my computer' window.
> >
> > I'm not sure if its the PC hardware i'm running x64 on or x64. How
> > would i discern?
> > Although the same PC, when i boot xp pro 32bit, same ntfs volume
> > external usb 2.0 hdd hot plugs (mount, unmount) fine.
> >
> > Tried other usb drives i have, same situation. Sometimes if i'm
> > lucky, they will automount. but never have i seen them unmount by
> > themselves in x64.
> > I know its not the drives, as I have many of these external usb 2.0
> > drives and they all hot plug fine on other xp pro, home, and such
> > machines.
> > My sequence on the x64 is as follows:
> > - system up and running, need access to files on the external drive,
> > connected in the rear via usb 2.0 port & cable,
> > - turn power switch ON rear of drive, go to my computer, nothing
> > appears, - right click my computer, manage, disk management, sure enough
> > drive
> > has red icon, 'disk 2 dynamic offline'
> > - right click and choose 'reactivate disk', sometimes, also have to
> > 'rescan,' 'refresh' under 'action' menu.
> > - if drive does not appear, then i have to reboot with drive on.
> > - if i decide to unplug usb cable from rear of PC, or turn power
> > switch OFF on drive while booted, drive icon will still remain in 'my
> > computer', does not unmount like normal win xp 32bit.
> >
> > Thanks.

> As far as I understand, you're runing a beta version of x64. Why don't you
> try the trial version or go to the exchange programme.
> It's not because it's working with XP x86 that it will work with x64.
> Are you sure you're using the last x64 drivers ?
>

> --
> Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
> Johannesburg - South Africa
> http://msmvps.com/xpditif
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

The thats why you should just download the trial, install it and when your
final release version arrives (that is presently pending) you can do an in
place upgrade to it.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/6...ion/trial.mspx
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"wewa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23Cezg$(E-Mail Removed)...
>i would 'love' to run the release version of x64.
> But i have no idea when i will receive it as my order is 'pending.'
>
> guess, i can reboot or leave the drive on, until then.
>
> thanks.
>
> "Christian Hougardy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> wewa <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> > Howdy,
>> >
>> > Running x64 1433 and having a consistent problem with xp mounting
>> > volumes and displaying them in 'my computer' window.
>> >
>> > I'm not sure if its the PC hardware i'm running x64 on or x64. How
>> > would i discern?
>> > Although the same PC, when i boot xp pro 32bit, same ntfs volume
>> > external usb 2.0 hdd hot plugs (mount, unmount) fine.
>> >
>> > Tried other usb drives i have, same situation. Sometimes if i'm
>> > lucky, they will automount. but never have i seen them unmount by
>> > themselves in x64.
>> > I know its not the drives, as I have many of these external usb 2.0
>> > drives and they all hot plug fine on other xp pro, home, and such
>> > machines.
>> > My sequence on the x64 is as follows:
>> > - system up and running, need access to files on the external drive,
>> > connected in the rear via usb 2.0 port & cable,
>> > - turn power switch ON rear of drive, go to my computer, nothing
>> > appears, - right click my computer, manage, disk management, sure
>> > enough
>> > drive
>> > has red icon, 'disk 2 dynamic offline'
>> > - right click and choose 'reactivate disk', sometimes, also have to
>> > 'rescan,' 'refresh' under 'action' menu.
>> > - if drive does not appear, then i have to reboot with drive on.
>> > - if i decide to unplug usb cable from rear of PC, or turn power
>> > switch OFF on drive while booted, drive icon will still remain in 'my
>> > computer', does not unmount like normal win xp 32bit.
>> >
>> > Thanks.

>> As far as I understand, you're runing a beta version of x64. Why don't
>> you
>> try the trial version or go to the exchange programme.
>> It's not because it's working with XP x86 that it will work with x64.
>> Are you sure you're using the last x64 drivers ?
>>

>> --
>> Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
>> Johannesburg - South Africa
>> http://msmvps.com/xpditif
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64

wewa

Downloading and Installing software is not exactly my idea of fun.

Especially when I know its just a trial, a 120 day trial. I think I have
more than 6 mos left on 1433 and if my order for some reason stays 'pending'
that long...

....unless I run into some kind of 'show stopper,' problem on 1433, i'd
rather skip myself one more 'download and upgrade' and 'wipe and install'
just to move to a trial, and then do it again for the final release.

I guess its a testament to how 1433 'just works' for now, without any
serious 'show stoppers' and i'm plain lazy...

....and maybe by then, my favorite antivirus will be 64 ready.

Thanks.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The thats why you should just download the trial, install it and when your
> final release version arrives (that is presently pending) you can do an in
> place upgrade to it.
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/6...ion/trial.mspx
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>
> "wewa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%23Cezg$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>i would 'love' to run the release version of x64.
>> But i have no idea when i will receive it as my order is 'pending.'
>>
>> guess, i can reboot or leave the drive on, until then.
>>
>> thanks.
>>
>> "Christian Hougardy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> As far as I understand, you're runing a beta version of x64. Why don't
>>> you
>>> try the trial version or go to the exchange programme.
>>> It's not because it's working with XP x86 that it will work with x64.
>>> Are you sure you're using the last x64 drivers ?
>>>

>>> --
>>> Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
>>> Johannesburg - South Africa
>>> http://msmvps.com/xpditif
>>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Rick

wewa wrote:
> Downloading and Installing software is not exactly my idea of fun.
>
> Especially when I know its just a trial, a 120 day trial. I think I have
> more than 6 mos left on 1433 and if my order for some reason stays 'pending'
> that long...

If you're intelligent enough to read, and comprehend, the EULA, you DO
NOT HAVE ANY TIME LEFT!!!!

The EULA for the beta version 1433 EXPIRED the day the OS was released
to the public, April 25, 2005!

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

What Wewa needs to really understand that they trial is for four months,
certainly within that time period, the final version should arrive. Some
persons media for final XP Pro x64 took 5 to 6 weeks, the trial period for
XP Pro x64 is 17 weeks, certainly you will get your final CD before the
timebomb ignites in the Trial. And remember what I said, you can do an
inplace upgrade from the Trial to full copy of XP Pro x64.

I think its better than running a beta that is not supported and only
confuses people in the newsgroups trying to help with a problem that might
have been solved long ago in the RTM.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

news:e%23N%(E-Mail Removed)...
> wewa wrote:
>> Downloading and Installing software is not exactly my idea of fun.
>>
>> Especially when I know its just a trial, a 120 day trial. I think I have
>> more than 6 mos left on 1433 and if my order for some reason stays
>> 'pending' that long...

> If you're intelligent enough to read, and comprehend, the EULA, you DO NOT
> HAVE ANY TIME LEFT!!!!
>
> The EULA for the beta version 1433 EXPIRED the day the OS was released to
> the public, April 25, 2005!

wewa

What is EULA?
I have XP X64, not EULA.

news:e%23N%(E-Mail Removed)...
> wewa wrote:
>> Downloading and Installing software is not exactly my idea of fun.
>>
>> Especially when I know its just a trial, a 120 day trial. I think I have
>> more than 6 mos left on 1433 and if my order for some reason stays
>> 'pending' that long...

> If you're intelligent enough to read, and comprehend, the EULA, you DO NOT
> HAVE ANY TIME LEFT!!!!
>
> The EULA for the beta version 1433 EXPIRED the day the OS was released to
> the public, April 25, 2005!

Christian Hougardy

wewa <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> What is EULA?
> I have XP X64, not EULA.

The eula is the text no one read before agreing with it
When you installed the beta, you had to agree with some "conditions" before
clicking on OK. One of those conditions is that the use of the beta version
will become illegal as soon as the final version will be available. And this
is the case...

--
Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
Johannesburg - South Africa
http://msmvps.com/xpditif
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

John Barnes

You've done your part and placed your order. Some don't relate to the
problems of living in an area where hi-speed internet is not an option. They
should try downloading a 550+ mb download on a 24k connection sometime, and
then find out that there is something wrong with it. OTOH I do understand
that they don't want to address problems solved in the RTM. However, they
should address their angst at Microsoft, since they are the ones responsible
for delivering the trial and exchange CD's and chose an incompetent party to
handle it. As can be seen elsewhere even those who are helpful and tolerant
helping people here have begun to parody the idiocy of Microsoft. They
could change to another company with more ability, even if there were a
penalty clause, which I would doubt. Personally what I find ironic is the
people here that are admittedly frustrated, complaining about the inability
to get drivers, when it took Microsoft nearly 2 years to get around to x64
from when AMD first sold the chips and even now a large number of people
still haven't received their exchange or trial CD's. Get real about who is
the slug in this venture into 64-bit computing.
Has anyone even noticed that they seem to take another important feature out
of Longhorn each month or two? What is going to be left, a new splash
screen and Media Player they can't even include in the EU. Hopefully some
important changes will be left. Sorry for the rant.

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...