Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Can I set up a multiboot of WinXP and XP x64 Edition?

Can I set up a multiboot of WinXP and XP x64 Edition?

=?Utf-8?B?UGFkbG9ycg==?=

Hi,

I'm trying to set up a multiboot for Windows XP Home and Windows XP x64
Edition on two separate drives (one 80 Gig for XP Home, and a 250 Gig serial
ATA for x64). I've installed XP Home, and then when I tried installing x64
on the other drive (after formatting a new partition on that drive), I get
the OS choice menu but X64 won't boot - message says there is a hard drive
configuration problem.

Am I installing these in the wrong order? Will I still get the OS choice
menu if I install x64 first and then XP home?

Christian Hougardy

Padlorr <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to set up a multiboot for Windows XP Home and Windows XP
> x64 Edition on two separate drives (one 80 Gig for XP Home, and a 250
> Gig serial ATA for x64). I've installed XP Home, and then when I
> tried installing x64 on the other drive (after formatting a new
> partition on that drive), I get the OS choice menu but X64 won't boot
> - message says there is a hard drive configuration problem.
>
> Am I installing these in the wrong order? Will I still get the OS
> choice menu if I install x64 first and then XP home?

Hi,

No, the order is right, but I suspect a sata drivers problem. Can't say more
without knowing more about your config. What kind of mobo, hard disks etc...
are you using ?

Cheers

--
Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
Johannesburg - South Africa

=?Utf-8?B?UGFkbG9ycg==?=

Hi Christian,

I was finally able to get the multiboot installed, but I had to delete all
partitions, and install x64 Edition first (on my Western Digital SATA 250
drive), then XP Home on my IDE 80 gig drive. It seems to be working fine
now.

Thanks,
Parker

"Christian Hougardy" wrote:

> Padlorr <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to set up a multiboot for Windows XP Home and Windows XP
> > x64 Edition on two separate drives (one 80 Gig for XP Home, and a 250
> > Gig serial ATA for x64). I've installed XP Home, and then when I
> > tried installing x64 on the other drive (after formatting a new
> > partition on that drive), I get the OS choice menu but X64 won't boot
> > - message says there is a hard drive configuration problem.
> >
> > Am I installing these in the wrong order? Will I still get the OS
> > choice menu if I install x64 first and then XP home?

> Hi,
>
> No, the order is right, but I suspect a sata drivers problem. Can't say more
> without knowing more about your config. What kind of mobo, hard disks etc...
> are you using ?
>
> Cheers
>
> --
> Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
> Johannesburg - South Africa
> http://msmvps.com/xpditif
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Christian Hougardy

Padlorr <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi Christian,
>
> I was finally able to get the multiboot installed, but I had to
> delete all partitions, and install x64 Edition first (on my Western
> Digital SATA 250 drive), then XP Home on my IDE 80 gig drive. It
> seems to be working fine now.
>
> Thanks,
> Parker

Hi Parker,

Do you tell me that your dual boot is working with XP32 installed after x64
? I can't believe what I'm reading now...
But anyway, if it's working for you, that's ok.

Cheers