Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Antivirus software

Antivirus software

=?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZSBMeW5jaA==?=

I have a new Athlon 64 system I put together myself with Windows Professional
x64 OS. Neither Symantec or Mcafee support the x64 platform which I found
out after I couldn't load my Norton Antivirus software. What antivirus
options do I have?

Jud Hendrix

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 13:14:08 -0700, "Pete Lynch"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Neither Symantec or Mcafee support the x64 platform which I found
>out after I couldn't load my Norton Antivirus software.

Symantec does upport, but you need version 10. A nice free alternative
(free as in: for personal use only) is Avast. You can also try the
64-bit beta from NOD32.

jud

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Avast

The free one from Avast:
Update: ESET the company made famous for it's multi-award winning Anti-Virus
software NOD32 has advised WinBeta.Org that the beta of it's 64Bit
Anti-Virus product is now available for download.

NOD32 has risen to prominence over the last 7 years given that according to
Virus Bulletin it has not missed a single in-the-wild virus since its
release.

http://www.winbeta.org/comments.php?id=3054&catid=1
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"Pete Lynch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a new Athlon 64 system I put together myself with Windows
>Professional
> x64 OS. Neither Symantec or Mcafee support the x64 platform which I found
> out after I couldn't load my Norton Antivirus software. What antivirus
> options do I have?

Torrey Lauer

I wouldn't wish Norton or McAfee on anyone. Try one of the free 64 bit AV
that are in beta right now. When available, I would highly recommend Trend
Micro PC-cillian.

--
Torrey Lauer
Modern Travel Services

Rainbow Sky Travel
rainbow sky travel DOT net
"Pete Lynch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a new Athlon 64 system I put together myself with Windows
>Professional
> x64 OS. Neither Symantec or Mcafee support the x64 platform which I found
> out after I couldn't load my Norton Antivirus software. What antivirus
> options do I have?

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Symantec products are good on the 32 bit side based on my experiences.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"Torrey Lauer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I wouldn't wish Norton or McAfee on anyone. Try one of the free 64 bit AV
>that are in beta right now. When available, I would highly recommend Trend
>Micro PC-cillian.
>
> --
> Torrey Lauer
> Modern Travel Services
> moderntravel DOT net
>
> Rainbow Sky Travel
> rainbow sky travel DOT net
> "Pete Lynch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have a new Athlon 64 system I put together myself with Windows
>>Professional
>> x64 OS. Neither Symantec or Mcafee support the x64 platform which I
>> found
>> out after I couldn't load my Norton Antivirus software. What antivirus
>> options do I have?

Charlie Russel - MVP

We'll have to disagree, there. Too pervasive and invasive, IMHO.

--
Charlie.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
> Symantec products are good on the 32 bit side based on my experiences.
>
> "Torrey Lauer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I wouldn't wish Norton or McAfee on anyone. Try one of the free 64
>> bit AV that are in beta right now. When available, I would highly
>> recommend Trend Micro PC-cillian.
>>
>> --
>> Torrey Lauer
>> Modern Travel Services
>> moderntravel DOT net
>>
>> Rainbow Sky Travel
>> rainbow sky travel DOT net
>> "Pete Lynch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I have a new Athlon 64 system I put together myself with Windows
>>> Professional
>>> x64 OS. Neither Symantec or Mcafee support the x64 platform which I
>>> found
>>> out after I couldn't load my Norton Antivirus software. What
>>> antivirus options do I have?

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Actually, I meant the Coporate Editions of AntiVirus I mean, yes the retail
editions are bloated and slow!
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> We'll have to disagree, there. Too pervasive and invasive, IMHO.
>
> --
> Charlie.
>
> Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
>> Symantec products are good on the 32 bit side based on my experiences.
>>
>> "Torrey Lauer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I wouldn't wish Norton or McAfee on anyone. Try one of the free 64
>>> bit AV that are in beta right now. When available, I would highly
>>> recommend Trend Micro PC-cillian.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Torrey Lauer
>>> Modern Travel Services
>>> moderntravel DOT net
>>>
>>> Rainbow Sky Travel
>>> rainbow sky travel DOT net
>>> "Pete Lynch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Steve Thompson

Christian Hougardy

Steve Thompson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Pete Lynch wrote:
>> I have a new Athlon 64 system I put together myself with Windows
>> Professional x64 OS. Neither Symantec or Mcafee support the x64
>> platform which I found out after I couldn't load my Norton Antivirus
>> software. What antivirus options do I have?

> WinAntiVirus 2005 is also an option. http://www.winantivirus.com/
>
> HTH,

Hi Steve, thanks for the link

--