Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > x64 dropping network drive connections

x64 dropping network drive connections

Lynn McGuire

We are in the habit of mounting the two disk drives on our Windows 2000
Pro file server as V: and W: on our local PCs at the office.

All of a sudden, I have to re-establish these drive connections this morning
on my XP x64 Pro development pc.

I did reboot the file server last night after all those new patches from MS.
But
this did not cause the file connections to be dropped before on XP 32 Pro.

Thanks,
Lynn McGuire

Sam

It your motherboard is an NF3 or NF4 no driver is needed
unless your going to use Raid. If your not going to use raid
then make sure bios sees drive, boot off old dos disk and run
fdisk on your sata drive. Then boot off windows install cd
and you will see everything load and install great. A lot of
people will say its not the right way but after fdisk has setup
the drive this way windows will load normal.

"Lynn McGuire" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> We are in the habit of mounting the two disk drives on our Windows 2000
> Pro file server as V: and W: on our local PCs at the office.
>
> All of a sudden, I have to re-establish these drive connections this
> morning
> on my XP x64 Pro development pc.
>
> I did reboot the file server last night after all those new patches from
> MS. But
> this did not cause the file connections to be dropped before on XP 32 Pro.
>
> Thanks,
> Lynn McGuire

Sam

Sorry I posted this message into wrong topic.....

sam
"Lynn McGuire" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> We are in the habit of mounting the two disk drives on our Windows 2000
> Pro file server as V: and W: on our local PCs at the office.
>
> All of a sudden, I have to re-establish these drive connections this
> morning
> on my XP x64 Pro development pc.
>
> I did reboot the file server last night after all those new patches from
> MS. But
> this did not cause the file connections to be dropped before on XP 32 Pro.
>
> Thanks,
> Lynn McGuire

Charlie Russel - MVP

Actually, if you rebooted your server, I'm not surprised. I've seen this
often in 32-bit as well, and I'm always preparted to reboot them all whenever
there's a server (domain controller) reboot. (Not something you'd see on a
larger network, where there are multiple DCs and one of them would always be
available. But definitely a possible issue on a single DC network.)

--
Charlie.