Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Is it worth it

Is it worth it

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

He cleared that up at WinHEC 2005, he did not say 640k.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"zxnos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> didnt gates once say something about only needing 8 MB?
>
> "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:
>
>> Nah, I don't think Pinnacle Studio and Windows Movie Maker really needs
>> the
>> power that x64 offers, that can be satisfied by XP 32 bit already.
>> --
>> Andre
>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>>
>> "Tony Su" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Actually,
>> > There are a great many areas I believe you will see early 64-bit
>> > solutions
>> > for the ordinary consumer, not just technophiles...
>> >
>> > - Video rendering. There will be a period of transition as video
>> > vendors
>> > re-write their products not to optimize to Intel's "Helper" x86 code
>> > (like
>> > MMX) and take advantage of the incredibly powerful native 64-bit FPU.
>> > Once
>> > vendors do that, we will see a big jump in realism.
>> > - Alternative input. Hard to prognosticate whether is short, medium or
>> > long
>> > term, but many voice recognition and handwriting recognition apps can
>> > be
>> > expected to experience a large jump in capability.
>> >
>> > There must be others, too. I believe like practically everything else
>> > we
>> > have seen for the past several years these new technologies will show
>> > up
>> > in
>> > gaming before being adapted to business applications.
>> >
>> > As you note, people are already eager to investigate how 64-bit will
>> > affect
>> > database development, although I don't see much written yet I also
>> > expect
>> > that there will be good use for middle tier application development as
>> > well.
>> >
>> > But, for anyone who is asking whether they should rush to install a
>> > 64-bit
>> > OS... I'd also caution patience. See my previous post a few days ago
>> > "Is
>> > there a clearing house for 64-bit XP issues?" 6/13/2005.
>> >
>> > Tony

=?Utf-8?B?SW50ZWxfRmFu?=

The choice was clear for me. I’m a data analysis type. Signal processing is
my forte. I typically work with data files around 100MB but CT data can get
around 100GB (that is not a typo) and take days to reconstruct (weeks on a
PC). I’ve been waiting for the chance to use the 64bit Intel math libraries.
Based on the tests I’ve made so far, x64 provided an overall 24% performance
increase.

Yeah the UI seems a little snappier and Doom3 might load slightly faster
(haven’t timed this though) but crunching numbers pays my bills. I was
already ahead of the pack but it’s a different ball game now.

"Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:

> Those who find x64 worthy will bare the sacrifices, again, these are the
> targetted audiences:
>
> The big benefits of course will not be realized by the consumer or
> enthusiast, but by persons in technical environments who use memory and
> mathematically intensive applications such as databases. Windows XP
> Professional x64 provides the highest levels of performance and scalability
> for Digital Content Creation, Computer Mechanical Design & Analysis and for
> Financial & Data Analysis.
>
> So, Windows XP Professional x64 is definitely not an operating system for
> the average Windows user who is doing basic stuff such as browsing the net
> or sending e-mails and writing one page documents in Word. But it is likely
> that by the end of this year, any PC purchased will be 64 bit enabled, which
> does not necessarily mean you are ready for a 64 bit OS. But it does give
> the user a sense of comfort knowing the capability is there ready to be
> taken advantage of by a largely supported 64-bit OS.
>
> The true beneficiaries are the technical ones in the technical environments
> who require the massive amounts of power this platform provides. Within the
> next 2 to 3 years 64 bit computing supported hardware and software should be
> more available than it is today and users will better take advantage of it
> with the appropriate applications written for the consumer market, so far
> that is not available.
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>
> "dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Just curious if its worth upgrading to x64. I currently have a AMDx64
> > machine and after reading some web pages and browsing certain newgroups,
> > there still seems to be some issues with 64bit drivers. I know the 64bit
> > will slowly gain support but it seems like quite a few vendors are really
> > dragging there feet. Is it really that hard to add support for 64 or is
> > it
> > just the clientel is just not there?

Rick Mogstad

umm, The game consoles have not been 64 bit for quite a few years now.....

"Tony Su" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Video compilation is another "maybe" although you might not think it's a
> short term opportunity. Grabbing and processing vastly larger chunks of
> data
> at a time has to be useful. In fact, I would <very> much like to see a
> 64-bit
> Windows Media SDK to support on the fly conversion/broadcasting which is
> one
> of the most demanding compilation apps around because of its time
> sensitivity
> requirements (who wants to see jerky video?).
>
> Actually, when I was referring to rendering, I was talking about ordinary
> game graphics, specifically 3D rendering. In general, polygons are drawn
> by
> the processor and are filled in with textures by the videocard
> co-processor.
> Although FPU calculations are highly desirable, the 32-bit x86 processor
> generally has a dud of a FPU and does integer calculations much better.
> Intel
> created special extensions like MMX to get around the processor drawbacks.
>
> With 64-bit, the processor can draw those polygons and maybe even fill in
> textures vastly faster which enables finer polygons and more realism.
> That's
> why your game consoles are all 64-bit.
>
> And now we potentially have the same capability in the PC.
>
> Tony
>

> "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:
>
>> Yeah, but the consumer products for home movies doesn't really justify
>> the
>> power.
>> --
>> Andre
>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>>
>> "Rick Mogstad" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Pinnacle makes higher end products too. I think their Liquid products
>> > would definitely benefit from a 64bit revamp.
>> >

>> > "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

I think he is talking about X-box 360 and the PS3.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"Rick Mogstad" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> umm, The game consoles have not been 64 bit for quite a few years now.....
>

> "Tony Su" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Video compilation is another "maybe" although you might not think it's a
>> short term opportunity. Grabbing and processing vastly larger chunks of
>> data
>> at a time has to be useful. In fact, I would <very> much like to see a
>> 64-bit
>> Windows Media SDK to support on the fly conversion/broadcasting which is
>> one
>> of the most demanding compilation apps around because of its time
>> sensitivity
>> requirements (who wants to see jerky video?).
>>
>> Actually, when I was referring to rendering, I was talking about ordinary
>> game graphics, specifically 3D rendering. In general, polygons are drawn
>> by
>> the processor and are filled in with textures by the videocard
>> co-processor.
>> Although FPU calculations are highly desirable, the 32-bit x86 processor
>> generally has a dud of a FPU and does integer calculations much better.
>> Intel
>> created special extensions like MMX to get around the processor
>> drawbacks.
>>
>> With 64-bit, the processor can draw those polygons and maybe even fill in
>> textures vastly faster which enables finer polygons and more realism.
>> That's
>> why your game consoles are all 64-bit.
>>
>> And now we potentially have the same capability in the PC.
>>
>> Tony
>>

>> "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:
>>
>>> Yeah, but the consumer products for home movies doesn't really justify
>>> the
>>> power.
>>> --
>>> Andre
>>>
>>> "Rick Mogstad" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Rick Mogstad

Oh, that makes sense then.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I think he is talking about X-box 360 and the PS3.
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>
> "Rick Mogstad" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> umm, The game consoles have not been 64 bit for quite a few years
>> now.....
>>

>> "Tony Su" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Video compilation is another "maybe" although you might not think it's a
>>> short term opportunity. Grabbing and processing vastly larger chunks of
>>> data
>>> at a time has to be useful. In fact, I would <very> much like to see a
>>> 64-bit
>>> Windows Media SDK to support on the fly conversion/broadcasting which is
>>> one
>>> of the most demanding compilation apps around because of its time
>>> sensitivity
>>> requirements (who wants to see jerky video?).
>>>
>>> Actually, when I was referring to rendering, I was talking about
>>> ordinary
>>> game graphics, specifically 3D rendering. In general, polygons are drawn
>>> by
>>> the processor and are filled in with textures by the videocard
>>> co-processor.
>>> Although FPU calculations are highly desirable, the 32-bit x86 processor
>>> generally has a dud of a FPU and does integer calculations much better.
>>> Intel
>>> created special extensions like MMX to get around the processor
>>> drawbacks.
>>>
>>> With 64-bit, the processor can draw those polygons and maybe even fill
>>> in
>>> textures vastly faster which enables finer polygons and more realism.
>>> That's
>>> why your game consoles are all 64-bit.
>>>
>>> And now we potentially have the same capability in the PC.
>>>
>>> Tony

=?Utf-8?B?d2Fra2ExOQ==?=

would it benificial to people who use 3D animation packages like maya or max?

"John Barnes" wrote:

> Why don't you use the trial version and dual boot and you can tell for
> yourself. Depends on what you do and what programs and hardware you have.
>

> "dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Just curious if its worth upgrading to x64. I currently have a AMDx64
> > machine and after reading some web pages and browsing certain newgroups,
> > there still seems to be some issues with 64bit drivers. I know the 64bit
> > will slowly gain support but it seems like quite a few vendors are really
> > dragging there feet. Is it really that hard to add support for 64 or is
> > it
> > just the clientel is just not there?

John Barnes

I would try it in dual boot mode. If your programs install, they may very
well benefit.

"wakka19" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> would it benificial to people who use 3D animation packages like maya or
> max?
>
> "John Barnes" wrote:
>
>> Why don't you use the trial version and dual boot and you can tell for
>> yourself. Depends on what you do and what programs and hardware you
>> have.
>>

>> "dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Just curious if its worth upgrading to x64. I currently have a AMDx64
>> > machine and after reading some web pages and browsing certain
>> > newgroups,
>> > there still seems to be some issues with 64bit drivers. I know the
>> > 64bit
>> > will slowly gain support but it seems like quite a few vendors are
>> > really
>> > dragging there feet. Is it really that hard to add support for 64 or
>> > is
>> > it
>> > just the clientel is just not there?

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Actually thats one of the target audiences of the x64, 3D rendering, but
like John says it best you do this in a test configuration before comitting
to it fully.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"wakka19" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> would it benificial to people who use 3D animation packages like maya or
> max?
>
> "John Barnes" wrote:
>
>> Why don't you use the trial version and dual boot and you can tell for
>> yourself. Depends on what you do and what programs and hardware you
>> have.
>>

>> "dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Just curious if its worth upgrading to x64. I currently have a AMDx64
>> > machine and after reading some web pages and browsing certain
>> > newgroups,
>> > there still seems to be some issues with 64bit drivers. I know the
>> > 64bit
>> > will slowly gain support but it seems like quite a few vendors are
>> > really
>> > dragging there feet. Is it really that hard to add support for 64 or
>> > is
>> > it
>> > just the clientel is just not there?

Worth buying modem router? =?Utf-8?B?QmFkQW5nbGVy?= Wireless Networking 2 07-05-2005 02:33 PM
How much is Bill worth right now? Me_and_you ASP .Net 18 02-12-2005 03:21 AM
Market worth? Nickolas Microsoft Certification 2 12-10-2004 12:06 AM
Is it worth it? Russ McKenna ASP .Net 5 12-06-2003 06:47 PM
MCSE Cert. Is it still worth it? Dominique Feteau Microsoft Certification 3 11-05-2003 08:43 PM

Advertisments