Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > How much space

How much space

Christian Hougardy

John Barnes <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> As I said thanks. I may end up using it if no Virtual Drive gets
> written for x64. At least I won't have to find the physical disks. It is
> annoying to have to find the install disk every time there is
> an Office update etc.

Ah concerning Office Update, not anymore, you do not need to insert the CD
during each update since a few weeks already.
Finally

--
Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
Johannesburg - South Africa

John Barnes

Thanks for the heads up, at least I can remove that file now.

"Christian Hougardy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> John Barnes <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> As I said thanks. I may end up using it if no Virtual Drive gets
>> written for x64. At least I won't have to find the physical disks. It is
>> annoying to have to find the install disk every time there is
>> an Office update etc.

> Ah concerning Office Update, not anymore, you do not need to insert the CD
> during each update since a few weeks already.
> Finally
>
> --
> Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
> Johannesburg - South Africa
> http://msmvps.com/xpditif
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

He can't help it.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"David R. Norton MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "John Barnes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in:
>
>> I currently using about 10 gig for x64 and 36 gig for my x86. Both are
>> 75
>> gig partitions. So FWIW there is a lot of variance depending on what one
>> installs and uses.

> You'd only need around 6g for X86 if you'd quit downloading all those
> pictures of NEKKID LADIES! <GD&R>
>

> --
> David R. Norton MVP
> <(E-Mail Removed)>

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

I would not load all of Encarta on the hard disk, doesn't make sense unless
its something you use on a regular basis, like if you are a student. Run off
the DVD I say.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> on x64 I use 2 gig for the Windows folder, 7.5 gig for Program Files
> and .5 gig for the driver file downloads which I keep.
> Depends on the programs you install doesn't it. Microsoft Encarta itself
> is 3 gig. I personally hate run disks so every install I load the max and
> the run disk goes on a virtual drive in x86. X64 will grow too when there
> is a Virtual Drive available to house the run disks. And, my music files
> are on another disk 34 more gig there. Disk space is cheap. Why not use
> it?
>

> "David R. Norton MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> "John Barnes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in:
>>
>>> I currently using about 10 gig for x64 and 36 gig for my x86. Both are
>>> 75
>>> gig partitions. So FWIW there is a lot of variance depending on what
>>> one
>>> installs and uses.

>> You'd only need around 6g for X86 if you'd quit downloading all those
>> pictures of NEKKID LADIES! <GD&R>
>>

>> --
>> David R. Norton MVP
>> <(E-Mail Removed)>

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

I think thats for Office 2003 and XP possibly.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"Christian Hougardy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> John Barnes <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> As I said thanks. I may end up using it if no Virtual Drive gets
>> written for x64. At least I won't have to find the physical disks. It is
>> annoying to have to find the install disk every time there is
>> an Office update etc.

> Ah concerning Office Update, not anymore, you do not need to insert the CD
> during each update since a few weeks already.
> Finally
>
> --
> Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
> Johannesburg - South Africa
> http://msmvps.com/xpditif
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Yes, that is in Office 2003, where it stores some files on the hard disk
after it installs just for updates to Office in future so it does not
require you to access the installation source.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"Christian Hougardy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> John Barnes <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Thanks, but that program requires the images be inserted in a
>> physical drive and mine are in use. I want virtual drives not
>> virtual cd's.

> Sorry for that, my fault
>

> --
> Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
> Johannesburg - South Africa
> http://msmvps.com/xpditif
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64

John Barnes

Guess that's why the option is available. I don't want to look for a run
disk whether I use it once a day, week or month. 3 gig of HD costs $1.
Makes sense to me.

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>I would not load all of Encarta on the hard disk, doesn't make sense unless
>its something you use on a regular basis, like if you are a student. Run
>off the DVD I say.
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> on x64 I use 2 gig for the Windows folder, 7.5 gig for Program Files
>> and .5 gig for the driver file downloads which I keep.
>> Depends on the programs you install doesn't it. Microsoft Encarta itself
>> is 3 gig. I personally hate run disks so every install I load the max
>> and the run disk goes on a virtual drive in x86. X64 will grow too when
>> there is a Virtual Drive available to house the run disks. And, my music
>> files are on another disk 34 more gig there. Disk space is cheap. Why
>> not use it?
>>

>> "David R. Norton MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>>> You'd only need around 6g for X86 if you'd quit downloading all those
>>> pictures of NEKKID LADIES! <GD&R>
>>>

>>> --
>>> David R. Norton MVP
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)>

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Thats true, but in my case I only use Encarta when I'm bored or don't have
access to the Internet.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Guess that's why the option is available. I don't want to look for a run
> disk whether I use it once a day, week or month. 3 gig of HD costs $1.
> Makes sense to me.

> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I would not load all of Encarta on the hard disk, doesn't make sense
>>unless its something you use on a regular basis, like if you are a
>>student. Run off the DVD I say.
>> --
>> Andre
>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>>
>> "John Barnes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> on x64 I use 2 gig for the Windows folder, 7.5 gig for Program
>>> Files and .5 gig for the driver file downloads which I keep.
>>> Depends on the programs you install doesn't it. Microsoft Encarta
>>> itself is 3 gig. I personally hate run disks so every install I load
>>> the max and the run disk goes on a virtual drive in x86. X64 will grow
>>> too when there is a Virtual Drive available to house the run disks.
>>> And, my music files are on another disk 34 more gig there. Disk space is
>>> cheap. Why not use it?
>>>

>>> "David R. Norton MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

John Barnes

Next time you are bored, I suggest you write a short article for your
X(perts) blog explaining how set up a printer when the one you have is not
recognized.
The one Charlie wrote isn't desktop friendly. How to add a printer, how to
find out which USB port the printer is assigned to (if LPT1 it's pretty self
explanatory) and how to assign the added printer to that port. From the
postings I see here that there would be a of people who could be referred to
it and would make it that much more likely someone will stay with x64.
Since even one of the MVP's can't get her printer to work and I have the
same model and it works fine, it isn't just a newbie issue.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...