Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > How much space

How much space

Wayne Wastier

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Wayne
> Nothing ruffled at all.
> I was really trying to make the point that different situations will
> require different amounts of space.
> What is great for one is to small for another and also to large for yet
> another.
> The OP really needs to post back with specifics or go from the available
> information and make an appropriate decision.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> http://www.dts-l.org

Thanks guy.

Dennis

Thanks lots guys, this is mainly only for a TEST system until all the
DRIVERS become available for things like my CANON products that are not
supported at present.

Dennis

"Wayne Wastier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Wayne
>> Nothing ruffled at all.
>> I was really trying to make the point that different situations will
>> require different amounts of space.
>> What is great for one is to small for another and also to large for yet
>> another.
>> The OP really needs to post back with specifics or go from the available
>> information and make an appropriate decision.
>>
>> --
>> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
>> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
>> http://www.dts-l.org
>>

> Thanks guy.

Dennis

Oh and just out of interest...

Jupiter, WHAT does MVP stand for please....
Dennis

"Dennis" <ddls11646remove http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks lots guys, this is mainly only for a TEST system until all the
> DRIVERS become available for things like my CANON products that are not
> supported at present.
>
> Dennis
>
> "Wayne Wastier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Wayne
>>> Nothing ruffled at all.
>>> I was really trying to make the point that different situations will
>>> require different amounts of space.
>>> What is great for one is to small for another and also to large for yet
>>> another.
>>> The OP really needs to post back with specifics or go from the available
>>> information and make an appropriate decision.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
>>> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
>>> http://www.dts-l.org
>>>

>> Thanks guy.

Christian Hougardy [MVP]

"Dennis" <ddls11646remove (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> Oh and just out of interest...
>
> Jupiter, WHAT does MVP stand for please....
> Dennis

I'm not Jupiter but I can help

Christian Hougardy [MS MVP XP]
Johannesburg - South Africa
http://msmvps.com/xpditif

Steve Walker - NG

"Wayne Wastier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I wouldn't say dedicating 20 GBs to Windows is rediculous, with the
>>plethora of patches we are getting, we will soon need 20GBs of free space
>>or more to support the patch tuedays.
>> --

> I agree. Jupiter needs to update his knowledge of HD space requirements.

Not too sure, if you are just testing then you wont be needing huge space
for a test system.

I have 2 test partitions for OS's. One is 5GB for Longhorn (that with Office
2003 installed) and is using 3.7GB with the swap on the same partition and
the install files. The other is Windows 2003 and it is 8GB and is using 4GB
with the OS installed with the bits I need to test =(again with Office
2003).

So I cannot see that 20GB would really help unless you were using &
installing everything you could get your hands on to test with software
wise.

You can always mount folders as drives if you need to create more space. I
found that http://support.microsoft.com/?id=307889 is quiet handy for giving
a bit more space for folders that tend to grow without needing to ghost OS's
and move them about.

But YMMV

Steve Walker
BNS

John Barnes

And there is always PartitionMagic, don't think I would try now that they
have been bought by Symantec, but used to be a great product. Never had to
use the backups since nothing ever went wrong. But always be prepared. Good
luck but I don't understand not installing all the programs that you use
from your current system. I'm sure you have some you don't use, but I have
found that only about 50% of my programs work in x64 fully, The others work
only partially or not at all. Drivers are not the only issue. You may have
software you depend on or want that you will have to find replacements for
as well. I too hope Canon gets their act together. It has been interesting
to see how mfgs decide on what to support. Canon supposedly supports
'business' printers, but 'personal' computers are iffy according to my
reply. Even though it is more expensive than alot of their business models.

"Steve Walker - NG" <$(E-Mail Removed)$> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Wayne Wastier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I wouldn't say dedicating 20 GBs to Windows is rediculous, with the
>>>plethora of patches we are getting, we will soon need 20GBs of free space
>>>or more to support the patch tuedays.
>>> --

>> I agree. Jupiter needs to update his knowledge of HD space requirements.
>>

> Not too sure, if you are just testing then you wont be needing huge space
> for a test system.
>
> I have 2 test partitions for OS's. One is 5GB for Longhorn (that with
> Office 2003 installed) and is using 3.7GB with the swap on the same
> partition and the install files. The other is Windows 2003 and it is 8GB
> and is using 4GB with the OS installed with the bits I need to test
> =(again with Office 2003).
>
> So I cannot see that 20GB would really help unless you were using &
> installing everything you could get your hands on to test with software
> wise.
>
> You can always mount folders as drives if you need to create more space. I
> found that http://support.microsoft.com/?id=307889 is quiet handy for
> giving a bit more space for folders that tend to grow without needing to
> ghost OS's and move them about.
>
> But YMMV
>
> Steve Walker
> BNS

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

I am just saying it should be standardized that the OS should have its own
dedicated partition, when you take into account patches and add-ons Windows,
it really adds up and I think it would keep things neat and tidy.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Wayne
> Nothing ruffled at all.
> I was really trying to make the point that different situations will
> require different amounts of space.
> What is great for one is to small for another and also to large for yet
> another.
> The OP really needs to post back with specifics or go from the available
> information and make an appropriate decision.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> http://www.dts-l.org
>

> "Wayne Wastier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:%
>> Jupiter, I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers. I just wanted to show
>> you that just the OS is barely adequate. I have to have Office and some
>> games installed also to make a current system.
>>
>> Oh, and thank you for your efforts for the past few years as an MVP.
>> Your help has been very much appreciated.
>>

>> Wayne

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Partition Magic is a deceitful, little app. It will purposely make you
format your hard disk. I recommend users to use it only on clean installs of
Windows.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> And there is always PartitionMagic, don't think I would try now that they
> have been bought by Symantec, but used to be a great product. Never had
> to use the backups since nothing ever went wrong. But always be prepared.
> Good luck but I don't understand not installing all the programs that you
> use from your current system. I'm sure you have some you don't use, but I
> have found that only about 50% of my programs work in x64 fully, The
> others work only partially or not at all. Drivers are not the only issue.
> You may have software you depend on or want that you will have to find
> replacements for as well. I too hope Canon gets their act together. It
> has been interesting to see how mfgs decide on what to support. Canon
> supposedly supports 'business' printers, but 'personal' computers are iffy
> according to my reply. Even though it is more expensive than alot of
> their business models.
>

> "Steve Walker - NG" <$(E-Mail Removed)$> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Wayne Wastier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> I agree. Jupiter needs to update his knowledge of HD space
>>> requirements.
>>>

>> Not too sure, if you are just testing then you wont be needing huge space
>> for a test system.
>>
>> I have 2 test partitions for OS's. One is 5GB for Longhorn (that with
>> Office 2003 installed) and is using 3.7GB with the swap on the same
>> partition and the install files. The other is Windows 2003 and it is 8GB
>> and is using 4GB with the OS installed with the bits I need to test
>> =(again with Office 2003).
>>
>> So I cannot see that 20GB would really help unless you were using &
>> installing everything you could get your hands on to test with software
>> wise.
>>
>> You can always mount folders as drives if you need to create more space.
>> I found that http://support.microsoft.com/?id=307889 is quiet handy for
>> giving a bit more space for folders that tend to grow without needing to
>> ghost OS's and move them about.
>>
>> But YMMV
>>
>> Steve Walker
>> BNS

John Barnes

Have to disagree with you on this one. Have used PM many times and NEVER
forced my to reformat, unless obviously you have mixed NTFS and FAT, FAT32.
Has saved me many times, especially when moving a drive from one computer to
another and the partition table is different. Saved having to backup and
reload everything.
Same when moving a drive from the motherboard to a Promise controller or
vice versa.
Partition Commander on the other hand is another story. Ugly GUI and
doesn't support USB mouse either.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Partition Magic is a deceitful, little app. It will purposely make you
> format your hard disk. I recommend users to use it only on clean installs
> of Windows.
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> And there is always PartitionMagic, don't think I would try now that they
>> have been bought by Symantec, but used to be a great product. Never had
>> to use the backups since nothing ever went wrong. But always be prepared.
>> Good luck but I don't understand not installing all the programs that you
>> use from your current system. I'm sure you have some you don't use, but
>> I have found that only about 50% of my programs work in x64 fully, The
>> others work only partially or not at all. Drivers are not the only
>> issue. You may have software you depend on or want that you will have to
>> find replacements for as well. I too hope Canon gets their act together.
>> It has been interesting to see how mfgs decide on what to support. Canon
>> supposedly supports 'business' printers, but 'personal' computers are
>> iffy according to my reply. Even though it is more expensive than alot
>> of their business models.
>>

>> "Steve Walker - NG" <$(E-Mail Removed)$> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> "Wayne Wastier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Not too sure, if you are just testing then you wont be needing huge
>>> space for a test system.
>>>
>>> I have 2 test partitions for OS's. One is 5GB for Longhorn (that with
>>> Office 2003 installed) and is using 3.7GB with the swap on the same
>>> partition and the install files. The other is Windows 2003 and it is 8GB
>>> and is using 4GB with the OS installed with the bits I need to test
>>> =(again with Office 2003).
>>>
>>> So I cannot see that 20GB would really help unless you were using &
>>> installing everything you could get your hands on to test with software
>>> wise.
>>>
>>> You can always mount folders as drives if you need to create more space.
>>> I found that http://support.microsoft.com/?id=307889 is quiet handy for
>>> giving a bit more space for folders that tend to grow without needing to
>>> ghost OS's and move them about.
>>>
>>> But YMMV
>>>
>>> Steve Walker
>>> BNS

Dennis

Yep same here, I have also used PM many times and never had to reformat.

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...