Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > 32-Bit MSHTA.EXE .vs. 64-Bit MSHTA.EXE

32-Bit MSHTA.EXE .vs. 64-Bit MSHTA.EXE

Mark-Allen Perry

Just a small question here to verify what we're seeing.

Has anyone else noticed that no matter what context you're in on an x64
machine, only the 32.bit MSHTA.exe executes?

If you start a 32-bit CMD.exe and execute on the command line; foo.hta, the
32-bit MSHTA.exe executes. Which is correct.

If you start a 64-bit CMD.exe and execute on the command line; foo.hta, the
32-bit MSHTA.exe also executes. Which is a bit unusual.

Now, since once you're in a 32-bit context, all contact with the 64-bit
world basically disappears. So, I would think that it might be better to
execute the 64-bit version if you're in 64-bit context.

Can anyone explain this? Or maybe point out how a change might be made to
stay in the same context while executing applications?

many thanks,

--
Mark-Allen Perry
ALPHA Systems

R. B.

To open hta files with 64-bit version of mshta by default, open a 64-bit
explorer window, right-click on an .hta file, choose "Open With... ->
Choose Program", choose Browse, type in
"%SystemRoot%\System32\mshta.exe" and check the box "Always use selected
program to open this kind of file", hit OK and you're done.

R. B.

R. B. wrote:
> To open hta files with 64-bit version of mshta by default, open a 64-bit
> explorer window, right-click on an .hta file, choose "Open With... ->
> Choose Program", choose Browse, type in
> "%SystemRoot%\System32\mshta.exe" and check the box "Always use selected
> program to open this kind of file", hit OK and you're done.

Actually, I wasn't aware of this at the time I wrote it, but this method
will do exactly what you wanted in your question. That is, in 32-bit
mode, it will launch the 32-bit mshta.exe, since in 32-bit mode,
%SystemRoot%\System32 will point to the actual WoW64 system32 directory
(I just tried it from a 32-bit explorer window). So this will launch
64-bit or 32-bit depending on what is starting the .hta file.

Mark-Allen Perry

Superb! Just what I needed. This works great.

R.B., many thanks for that.

have a nice day,

--
Mark-Allen Perry