Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Re: Unknown device?

Re: Unknown device?

Rafael Rivera [Extended64.com]

Similar to my Asus A8N-SLI, this motherboard has A.I. NOS/Booster which
is one, if not both, of those items. Insert your motherboard CD and look
for \software\aibooster\acpi64 (or similar), copy the drivers to the
desktop, DECORATE the Windows 2000/XP driver's INF file and install.

You do not need the AI Booster/NOS software if you do not intend on
using it. This will merely rid yourself of the exclamation mark.

Rafael Rivera
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/Rafael

Donald Wilkinson wrote:
> I've got an ASUS A8V Deluxe (non-SLI). And I've found drivers for everything
> in it -EXCEPT one thing - and I don't even know what it is.
>
> The only two cards added to the machine are the ATI Video -the Crystal
> Drivers work nicely, thank you
> and the Linksys Wireless card - Win64 found the Broadcom chip and
> installed 64 bit drivers for that just fine.
> I've got a SATA drive on the VIA chip -installed the driver with good ol'
> F6
> Disabled the Promise chip in the BIOS -it shouldn't show up
> AMD provided all the other drivers (sound, on-board NIC, etc)
> Everything seems to work just fine
>
> But I have an Unknown device in my hardware listing ( I've attached a .jpg
> of the screen print)
>
> Can anybody tell me how to find out what it is that I'm looking for the
> driver for??
>
> Thanks
>
> DonW

Donald Wilkinson

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Unfortunately the A8N is a NVIDIA 4 board and, apparently, has the A.I.
Booster.

The A8V is a Via K8T800 board and doesn't have anything like A.I. Booster
( It can, however, be upgraded to dual core Athlons

Thanks for trying

DonW

"Rafael Rivera [Extended64.com]" <rafael*at*extended64*dot*com> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Similar to my Asus A8N-SLI, this motherboard has A.I. NOS/Booster which is
> one, if not both, of those items. Insert your motherboard CD and look for
> \software\aibooster\acpi64 (or similar), copy the drivers to the desktop,
> DECORATE the Windows 2000/XP driver's INF file and install.
>
> You do not need the AI Booster/NOS software if you do not intend on using
> it. This will merely rid yourself of the exclamation mark.
>
> Rafael Rivera
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
> Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/Rafael
>
> Donald Wilkinson wrote:
>> I've got an ASUS A8V Deluxe (non-SLI). And I've found drivers for
>> everything
>> in it -EXCEPT one thing - and I don't even know what it is.
>>
>> The only two cards added to the machine are the ATI Video -the Crystal
>> Drivers work nicely, thank you
>> and the Linksys Wireless card - Win64 found the Broadcom chip and
>> installed 64 bit drivers for that just fine.
>> I've got a SATA drive on the VIA chip -installed the driver with good
>> ol'
>> F6
>> Disabled the Promise chip in the BIOS -it shouldn't show up
>> AMD provided all the other drivers (sound, on-board NIC, etc)
>> Everything seems to work just fine
>>
>> But I have an Unknown device in my hardware listing ( I've attached a
>> .jpg of the screen print)
>>
>> Can anybody tell me how to find out what it is that I'm looking for the
>> driver for??
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> DonW

Rafael Rivera [Extended64.com]

Right-click the item in question, click properties, navigate to the
Details tab, click the data in the 'value' text box, press CTRL-C, paste
it here and send.

This will help identify the object.

Donald Wilkinson wrote:
> Thanks for the prompt reply.
>
> Unfortunately the A8N is a NVIDIA 4 board and, apparently, has the A.I.
> Booster.
>
> The A8V is a Via K8T800 board and doesn't have anything like A.I. Booster
> ( It can, however, be upgraded to dual core Athlons
>
> Thanks for trying
>

> DonW
>
> "Rafael Rivera [Extended64.com]" <rafael*at*extended64*dot*com> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Similar to my Asus A8N-SLI, this motherboard has A.I. NOS/Booster which is
>>one, if not both, of those items. Insert your motherboard CD and look for
>>\software\aibooster\acpi64 (or similar), copy the drivers to the desktop,
>>DECORATE the Windows 2000/XP driver's INF file and install.
>>
>>You do not need the AI Booster/NOS software if you do not intend on using
>>it. This will merely rid yourself of the exclamation mark.
>>
>>Rafael Rivera
>>Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>>Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/Rafael
>>
>>Donald Wilkinson wrote:
>>
>>>I've got an ASUS A8V Deluxe (non-SLI). And I've found drivers for
>>>everything
>>>in it -EXCEPT one thing - and I don't even know what it is.
>>>
>>>The only two cards added to the machine are the ATI Video -the Crystal
>>>Drivers work nicely, thank you
>>> and the Linksys Wireless card - Win64 found the Broadcom chip and
>>>installed 64 bit drivers for that just fine.
>>>I've got a SATA drive on the VIA chip -installed the driver with good
>>>ol'
>>>F6
>>>Disabled the Promise chip in the BIOS -it shouldn't show up
>>>AMD provided all the other drivers (sound, on-board NIC, etc)
>>>Everything seems to work just fine
>>>
>>>But I have an Unknown device in my hardware listing ( I've attached a
>>>.jpg of the screen print)
>>>
>>>Can anybody tell me how to find out what it is that I'm looking for the
>>>driver for??
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>>
>>>DonW

Donald Wilkinson

Following you advice I checked the device details on my "Unknowndevice"

It shows:

DISPLAY\NTATIVMD40\5&313393AF&0&80000007&01&00

Apparantly it has something to do with my ATI X800

Maybe I ought to reinstall the ATI drivers?

Thnaks

DonW

"Rafael Rivera [Extended64.com]" <rafael*at*extended64*dot*com> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Similar to my Asus A8N-SLI, this motherboard has A.I. NOS/Booster which is
> one, if not both, of those items. Insert your motherboard CD and look for
> \software\aibooster\acpi64 (or similar), copy the drivers to the desktop,
> DECORATE the Windows 2000/XP driver's INF file and install.
>
> You do not need the AI Booster/NOS software if you do not intend on using
> it. This will merely rid yourself of the exclamation mark.
>
> Rafael Rivera
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
> Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/Rafael
>
> Donald Wilkinson wrote:
>> I've got an ASUS A8V Deluxe (non-SLI). And I've found drivers for
>> everything
>> in it -EXCEPT one thing - and I don't even know what it is.
>>
>> The only two cards added to the machine are the ATI Video -the Crystal
>> Drivers work nicely, thank you
>> and the Linksys Wireless card - Win64 found the Broadcom chip and
>> installed 64 bit drivers for that just fine.
>> I've got a SATA drive on the VIA chip -installed the driver with good
>> ol'
>> F6
>> Disabled the Promise chip in the BIOS -it shouldn't show up
>> AMD provided all the other drivers (sound, on-board NIC, etc)
>> Everything seems to work just fine
>>
>> But I have an Unknown device in my hardware listing ( I've attached a
>> .jpg of the screen print)
>>
>> Can anybody tell me how to find out what it is that I'm looking for the
>> driver for??
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> DonW

ChrisC

Hi, have you got a X800 with the theatre chip on it? If so you need to
upgrade the unknown device drivers manually and use MS own ATI WDM Theatre
Video and MS ATI WDM Specialized MVD Codec drivers...
ChrisC

"Donald Wilkinson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Following you advice I checked the device details on my "Unknowndevice"
>
> It shows:
>
> DISPLAY\NTATIVMD40\5&313393AF&0&80000007&01&00
>
> Apparantly it has something to do with my ATI X800
>
> Maybe I ought to reinstall the ATI drivers?
>
> Thnaks
>
> DonW
>

> "Rafael Rivera [Extended64.com]" <rafael*at*extended64*dot*com> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Similar to my Asus A8N-SLI, this motherboard has A.I. NOS/Booster which
>> is one, if not both, of those items. Insert your motherboard CD and look
>> for \software\aibooster\acpi64 (or similar), copy the drivers to the
>> desktop, DECORATE the Windows 2000/XP driver's INF file and install.
>>
>> You do not need the AI Booster/NOS software if you do not intend on using
>> it. This will merely rid yourself of the exclamation mark.
>>
>> Rafael Rivera
>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>> Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/Rafael
>>
>> Donald Wilkinson wrote:
>>> I've got an ASUS A8V Deluxe (non-SLI). And I've found drivers for
>>> everything
>>> in it -EXCEPT one thing - and I don't even know what it is.
>>>
>>> The only two cards added to the machine are the ATI Video -the Crystal
>>> Drivers work nicely, thank you
>>> and the Linksys Wireless card - Win64 found the Broadcom chip and
>>> installed 64 bit drivers for that just fine.
>>> I've got a SATA drive on the VIA chip -installed the driver with good
>>> ol'
>>> F6
>>> Disabled the Promise chip in the BIOS -it shouldn't show up
>>> AMD provided all the other drivers (sound, on-board NIC, etc)
>>> Everything seems to work just fine
>>>
>>> But I have an Unknown device in my hardware listing ( I've attached a
>>> .jpg of the screen print)
>>>
>>> Can anybody tell me how to find out what it is that I'm looking for the
>>> driver for??
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> DonW

Donald Wilkinson

Gosh, I'm not sure(I bought the card used -from someone who HAD to have an
X850)

Are those drivers somewhere on the Win64 CD?

DonW

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...