Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > "Hard disk not detected"

"Hard disk not detected"

John Barnes

Maybe you could help others by saying what drivers worked for you.

"Tony8372" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thank you Rick for trying to help, but i stumbled across a web site that
> fixxed my hard drive woes: http://www.planetamd64.com/
> Just resister and they have many drivers that might fix your problem.
>
> "Rick" wrote:
>
>> Is it possible for you to give some information about your board? What
>> chipset does it have? What SATA controller?
>>
>> I tried looking the information up, but the Soltek site seems to be
>> unavailable to get specifications.
>>

>> Tony8372 wrote:
>> > Hey i have a Soltek Sl-k8AV2-R / K8AV2-RL Socket 754 mainboard runninng
>> > an
>> > AMD64 3400+ at 2.54 MHz with a Western Digital Raptor SATA hard drive.
>> >
>> > My problem is I cant seem to find a driver to install my hard drive on
>> > a 64
>> > bit system, everytime i try to install windows even with my flobby disk
>> > of
>> > drivers i keep getting " Hard disk not detected."
>> >
>> > Can anyone help?

=?Utf-8?B?QW5keQ==?=

I cannot start a new thread, I keep getting an error so I am replying to a
current one. This particular thread is listed in the Windows 2000 server
group as well, so I will ask my question here. I hope someone can help me.

Actions before:

I am configuring a new Windows 2000 Advanced Server installation. After
configuring everything and installing some applications, I installed SP4.
All this is on a SATA raid configuration (mirrored).

The problem:

After rebooting I get the dreaded stop error (an obvious I/O error pointing
to the SATA drives). I know now that the service pack didn't recognise the
currently installed RAID drivers for the board (go figure) and there was no
prompt for any additional drivers. After rebooting, of course it failed. I
went through a quick repair, but no go. I tried to manually copy the
disk.sys file from the backed up service pack directory through DOS (NTFS2DOS
utility). I switched from RAID to IDE in the BIOS and ran a full repair. No
go. I have since switched it back to RAID and am trying a full repair as I
type this. While I wait for it to go through the process, I thought I'd send
this post.

My question is this; Is there a way to force the I/O drivers (RAID drivers)
through DOS? A utiliity out there somewhere that can do this? I am also
assuming that the registry would have to be hacked for this to happen as well.

Anyone out there encounter this?

Thanks a bunch.

Andy

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> The first thing you need to do is get details on what is in your machine.
> There are lots of ways to get this, including LOOKING as your machine boots,
> and checking in the BIOS for what it says, etc. You need to know:
>
> What motherboard mfg or chipset mfg it is
> what model motherboard or PC
> what video card is in it (or what built in video chipset)
> what network card or built in network controller it has
> how much RAM it has
> what processor is in it.
>
> Try asking your vendor. READ your bill of sale (you'd be surprised just how
> much information is there, including the serial number of your computer or
> many of it's component parts, for example.)
>
> When you have the necessary information, THEN try installing. As it stands
> right now, you're setting yourself up for failure, and asking all of us to
> try to fix a problem without giving us the informaton we need to actually
> help you. That's frustrating for both parties. Using a random shotgun
> approach to troubleshooting is something I'm simply not willing to do.
>

> --
> Charlie.
>
> Mitz wrote:
> > Sorry ^^ is wrong.
> >
> > Out of the three:
> > Discrete Serial ATA RAID controllers VT6420/1
> > VT6410 IDE RAID controller
> > VT8237 Integrated Serial ATA RAID controller
> >
> > I think it is the bottom one becuase of the same reason and also the
> > first has the word Discrete which i dont think is right

Rick

Whether you can start a new thread or not, you are in the WRONG
newsgroup!!!!

This newsgroup is for Windows 2003 Server x64 and Windows XP Pro x64 ONLY!!!

In other words - AMD64 and Intel EM64T 64-bit Windows!

IT IS NOT FOR WINDOWS 2000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Andy wrote:
> [...]
>>many of it's component parts, for example.)
>>
>>When you have the necessary information, THEN try installing. As it stands
>>right now, you're setting yourself up for failure, and asking all of us to
>>try to fix a problem without giving us the informaton we need to actually
>>help you. That's frustrating for both parties. Using a random shotgun
>>approach to troubleshooting is something I'm simply not willing to do.
>>

>>--
>>Charlie.
>>
>>Mitz wrote:
>>
>>>Sorry ^^ is wrong.
>>>
>>>Out of the three:
>>>Discrete Serial ATA RAID controllers VT6420/1
>>>VT6410 IDE RAID controller
>>>VT8237 Integrated Serial ATA RAID controller
>>>
>>>I think it is the bottom one becuase of the same reason and also the
>>>first has the word Discrete which i dont think is right

Well, I'll tell you what. I'll just ignore the field where it says Windows
2000 server. I can now post so I'll start a new thread in the appropriate
group.

In the meantime try to not be ignorant. Using !!!!!! marks is rude to say
the least. Next time try to be helpful. I always am. If you don't know,
just say so or just don't post.

Cheers

Andy

"Rick" wrote:

> [...]
> >>
> >>What motherboard mfg or chipset mfg it is
> >>what model motherboard or PC
> >>what video card is in it (or what built in video chipset)
> >>what network card or built in network controller it has
> >>how much RAM it has
> >>what processor is in it.
> >>
> >>Try asking your vendor. READ your bill of sale (you'd be surprised just how
> >>much information is there, including the serial number of your computer or
> >>many of it's component parts, for example.)
> >>
> >>When you have the necessary information, THEN try installing. As it stands
> >>right now, you're setting yourself up for failure, and asking all of us to
> >>try to fix a problem without giving us the informaton we need to actually
> >>help you. That's frustrating for both parties. Using a random shotgun
> >>approach to troubleshooting is something I'm simply not willing to do.

DKI

Even though this is the wrong news group, are you using the correct drivers
for your sata installation or compatable drivers with server 2000, might be
worth looking at the manufuctures site for updated drivers as well

Also i'll be honest have you considered slipstreaming SP4 and rollup 1 for
SP4 into the setup (coping the disk over to hdd and then intergrating them
and then burning them off to disk with the MS boot file so when you do a
setup from scratch SP4 is included with rollup 1 in the setup.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...