Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > "Hard disk not detected"

"Hard disk not detected"

Charlie Russel - MVP

The first thing you need to do is get details on what is in your machine.
There are lots of ways to get this, including LOOKING as your machine boots,
and checking in the BIOS for what it says, etc. You need to know:

What motherboard mfg or chipset mfg it is
what model motherboard or PC
what video card is in it (or what built in video chipset)
what network card or built in network controller it has
how much RAM it has
what processor is in it.

Try asking your vendor. READ your bill of sale (you'd be surprised just how
much information is there, including the serial number of your computer or
many of it's component parts, for example.)

When you have the necessary information, THEN try installing. As it stands
right now, you're setting yourself up for failure, and asking all of us to
try to fix a problem without giving us the informaton we need to actually
help you. That's frustrating for both parties. Using a random shotgun
approach to troubleshooting is something I'm simply not willing to do.

--
Charlie.

Mitz wrote:
> Sorry ^^ is wrong.
>
> Out of the three:
> Discrete Serial ATA RAID controllers VT6420/1
> VT6410 IDE RAID controller
> VT8237 Integrated Serial ATA RAID controller
>
> I think it is the bottom one becuase of the same reason and also the
> first has the word Discrete which i dont think is right

Charlie Russel - MVP

Heck, just try READING the stuff that flashes by on the screen as it boots.
If there's a VIA controller in there, it should say what it's model is, or at
least what it's "friendly name" is.

--
Charlie.

Steve Thompson wrote:
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I don't know, so hopefully you can get an answer from a VIA person. If it
>> were I and I didn't get a good reply soon, I would download 1
>> and 3 and both should fit on the floppy and let Windows highlight
>> the one it selects as the best match. Otherwise you can try them
>> one at a time. Its Sunday and I'm going boating. Good Luck.
>>

> Or... You could remove the cover from the machine and look at the
> chipset. It _may_ be labeled properly.
>

> Steve
>

>> "Mitz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> Sorry ^^ is wrong.
>>>
>>> Out of the three:
>>> Discrete Serial ATA RAID controllers VT6420/1
>>> VT6410 IDE RAID controller
>>> VT8237 Integrated Serial ATA RAID controller
>>>
>>> I think it is the bottom one becuase of the same reason and also the
>>> first
>>> has the word Discrete which i dont think is right

=?Utf-8?B?TWl0eg==?=

Okay ill do my research, but will all my files erase when installing the 64
bit version of Windows??

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> The first thing you need to do is get details on what is in your machine.
> There are lots of ways to get this, including LOOKING as your machine boots,
> and checking in the BIOS for what it says, etc. You need to know:
>
> What motherboard mfg or chipset mfg it is
> what model motherboard or PC
> what video card is in it (or what built in video chipset)
> what network card or built in network controller it has
> how much RAM it has
> what processor is in it.
>
> Try asking your vendor. READ your bill of sale (you'd be surprised just how
> much information is there, including the serial number of your computer or
> many of it's component parts, for example.)
>
> When you have the necessary information, THEN try installing. As it stands
> right now, you're setting yourself up for failure, and asking all of us to
> try to fix a problem without giving us the informaton we need to actually
> help you. That's frustrating for both parties. Using a random shotgun
> approach to troubleshooting is something I'm simply not willing to do.
>

> --
> Charlie.
>
> Mitz wrote:
> > Sorry ^^ is wrong.
> >
> > Out of the three:
> > Discrete Serial ATA RAID controllers VT6420/1
> > VT6410 IDE RAID controller
> > VT8237 Integrated Serial ATA RAID controller
> >
> > I think it is the bottom one becuase of the same reason and also the
> > first has the word Discrete which i dont think is right

Steve Thompson

"Mitz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Okay ill do my research, but will all my files erase when installing the
> 64
> bit version of Windows??

Mitz,

look at http://spaces.msn.com/members/conway/ or many other existing threads
in this newsgroup that have already answered this question. And by the way,
listen to Charlie. Listen, listen and learn. Calm down and take it easy.
You'll learn a lot more that way. Trust me.

Steve

> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>
>> The first thing you need to do is get details on what is in your machine.
>> There are lots of ways to get this, including LOOKING as your machine
>> boots,
>> and checking in the BIOS for what it says, etc. You need to know:
>>
>> What motherboard mfg or chipset mfg it is
>> what model motherboard or PC
>> what video card is in it (or what built in video chipset)
>> what network card or built in network controller it has
>> how much RAM it has
>> what processor is in it.
>>
>> Try asking your vendor. READ your bill of sale (you'd be surprised just
>> how
>> much information is there, including the serial number of your computer
>> or
>> many of it's component parts, for example.)
>>
>> When you have the necessary information, THEN try installing. As it
>> stands
>> right now, you're setting yourself up for failure, and asking all of us
>> try to fix a problem without giving us the informaton we need to actually
>> help you. That's frustrating for both parties. Using a random shotgun
>> approach to troubleshooting is something I'm simply not willing to do.
>>

>> --
>> Charlie.
>>
>> Mitz wrote:
>> > Sorry ^^ is wrong.
>> >
>> > Out of the three:
>> > Discrete Serial ATA RAID controllers VT6420/1
>> > VT6410 IDE RAID controller
>> > VT8237 Integrated Serial ATA RAID controller
>> >
>> > I think it is the bottom one becuase of the same reason and also the
>> > first has the word Discrete which i dont think is right

Christian Hougardy

Mitz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I sorted out the 9mb thing, i only needed to copy certain files.
> Anyway does it erase all my files?

Yes, upgrade is not possible.
I recommand a dual boot if your disks are partitionned or if you have two
disks...

--
Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
Johannesburg - South Africa

=?Utf-8?B?TWl0eg==?=

Okay now i just need some striaght answers because to many big words confuse
me.
Simple YES/NO q's:

1) Can i install Windows XP (32bit) after my trial finshes?
2) Does it format my hard drive when installing 64-Bit Windows?

John Barnes

Simple answer. Do your research. Yes you can reinstall XP when your trial
finishes. Yes you have to format the drive when installing.
As has been suggested over and over, partition your drive and dual boot or
Charlie suggested a $10 drive from eBay and you could install it there and
leave your XP Pro alone. Remove your current drive, install the new one and
install x64 or leave it and install to the new one and dual boot.
If you don't know about the other equipment, you won't know what has 64-bit
drivers.
My guess is you are going to have way too much trouble with x64 and advise
strongly you keep your old system intact, unplug the drive and install a new
one so you can go
back with no mess.
Just my advice. Seems like a lot of people feel the same, so take it or
leave it.

"Mitz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Okay now i just need some striaght answers because to many big words
> confuse
> me.
> Simple YES/NO q's:
>
> 1) Can i install Windows XP (32bit) after my trial finshes?
> 2) Does it format my hard drive when installing 64-Bit Windows?

Steve Thompson

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Simple answer. Do your research. Yes you can reinstall XP when your
> trial finishes. Yes you have to format the drive when installing.
> As has been suggested over and over, partition your drive and dual boot
> or
> Charlie suggested a $10 drive from eBay and you could install it there and
> leave your XP Pro alone. Remove your current drive, install the new one
> and install x64 or leave it and install to the new one and dual boot.
> If you don't know about the other equipment, you won't know what has
> 64-bit drivers.
> My guess is you are going to have way too much trouble with x64 and advise
> strongly you keep your old system intact, unplug the drive and install a
> new one so you can go
> back with no mess.
> Just my advice. Seems like a lot of people feel the same, so take it or
> leave it.

Hello John,

I have 2 problems with your post.

1. You should have used all caps. Or better yet HTML with bold, caps and
underline. :>)
2. Charlie's suggestion about the $10.00 HD was a reply to a thread I had
posted earlier. But good advice nontheless. ;>)

Steve

> "Mitz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Okay now i just need some striaght answers because to many big words
>> confuse
>> me.
>> Simple YES/NO q's:
>>
>> 1) Can i install Windows XP (32bit) after my trial finshes?
>> 2) Does it format my hard drive when installing 64-Bit Windows?

John Barnes

The real problem is a $10 drive on eBay costs about $50 with shipping and
you can buy a new one for $60 from NewEgg. Thanks for the humor.

"Steve Thompson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Simple answer. Do your research. Yes you can reinstall XP when your
>> trial finishes. Yes you have to format the drive when installing.
>> As has been suggested over and over, partition your drive and dual boot
>> or
>> Charlie suggested a $10 drive from eBay and you could install it there
>> and leave your XP Pro alone. Remove your current drive, install the new
>> one and install x64 or leave it and install to the new one and dual boot.
>> If you don't know about the other equipment, you won't know what has
>> 64-bit drivers.
>> My guess is you are going to have way too much trouble with x64 and
>> advise strongly you keep your old system intact, unplug the drive and
>> install a new one so you can go
>> back with no mess.
>> Just my advice. Seems like a lot of people feel the same, so take it or
>> leave it.

> Hello John,
>
> I have 2 problems with your post.
>
> 1. You should have used all caps. Or better yet HTML with bold, caps and
> underline. :>)
> 2. Charlie's suggestion about the $10.00 HD was a reply to a thread I had
> posted earlier. But good advice nontheless. ;>)
>
> Steve
>

>> "Mitz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Okay now i just need some striaght answers because to many big words
>>> confuse
>>> me.
>>> Simple YES/NO q's:
>>>
>>> 1) Can i install Windows XP (32bit) after my trial finshes?
>>> 2) Does it format my hard drive when installing 64-Bit Windows?

Charlie Russel - MVP

Shipping on eBay for a drive shouldn't run over about $10-15 bucks, but yes,
I get your point. And you can probably find a cheap ~10GB drive at a local
swap meet for party favour prices.

--
Charlie.