Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > XP64 & XP32 dual boot - can they share an MS Office 2000 install?

XP64 & XP32 dual boot - can they share an MS Office 2000 install?

Goody2shoe

I'm setting up an Asus A8N with dual boot of XP32 & XP64 in separate
partitions. To save HD space I want to install MS Office 2000 so it can be
used by both OS'. Any advice on how to make this work?

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Yes they can, but I would not be surprised if you get error messages when
launching winword from another partition since when you install an
application it integrates itself with the registry. But it should work since
Office 2000 installs itself in the x86 Program Files folder on x64. I still
say its not recommended.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"Goody2shoe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm setting up an Asus A8N with dual boot of XP32 & XP64 in separate
> partitions. To save HD space I want to install MS Office 2000 so it can be
> used by both OS'. Any advice on how to make this work?

Christian Hougardy

Goody2shoe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I'm setting up an Asus A8N with dual boot of XP32 & XP64 in separate
> partitions. To save HD space I want to install MS Office 2000 so it
> can be used by both OS'. Any advice on how to make this work?

You have to install the soft twice but you can do it in the same directory
on one hard disk

Cheers

--
Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
Johannesburg - South Africa

John Barnes

Good idea. Usually works. Word sometimes has an activation issue. Don't
know why.

"Christian Hougardy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Goody2shoe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I'm setting up an Asus A8N with dual boot of XP32 & XP64 in separate
>> partitions. To save HD space I want to install MS Office 2000 so it
>> can be used by both OS'. Any advice on how to make this work?

> You have to install the soft twice but you can do it in the same directory
> on one hard disk
>
> Cheers
>

> --
> Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
> Johannesburg - South Africa
> http://msmvps.com/xpditif

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

But Christian, wouldn't cause some conflict for one of operating systems if
its registering to different operating systems. Meaning, if I install on x64
first, then go and install on XP 32bit its going to wipe out some
registration between the 64 bit Windows and Office?
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"Christian Hougardy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Goody2shoe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I'm setting up an Asus A8N with dual boot of XP32 & XP64 in separate
>> partitions. To save HD space I want to install MS Office 2000 so it
>> can be used by both OS'. Any advice on how to make this work?

> You have to install the soft twice but you can do it in the same directory
> on one hard disk
>
> Cheers
>

> --
> Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
> Johannesburg - South Africa
> http://msmvps.com/xpditif

Goody2shoe

Thank you C.H. It sounds like you have done this yourself.
If I understand you, I need to install Office under each OS, custom install
and specify the same directory & all the same customizations in each
install. Will the installation sequence matter? Would it be better to
install Office under XP32 then under XP64?
I'm thinking a separate partition for Programs might help me keep things
straight, any opinion about that? Any advice on issues with installing
Office updates?
Thanks again

Andre Da Costa [Extended64] <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> But Christian, wouldn't cause some conflict for one of operating
> systems if its registering to different operating systems. Meaning,
> if I install on x64 first, then go and install on XP 32bit its going
> to wipe out some registration between the 64 bit Windows and Office?

Hi Dré,

No, no problem at all here. I had to activate the suite twice, but the files
with the infos are not in the office directory but on each OS. So, no mixing
possible.
John said something about activation. Maybe was he refering to the fact that
he had to activate the soft twice, just like I did.

Cheers

--
Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
Johannesburg - South Africa
http://msmvps.com/xpditif
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Christian Hougardy

Goody2shoe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Thank you C.H. It sounds like you have done this yourself.
> If I understand you, I need to install Office under each OS, custom
> install and specify the same directory & all the same customizations
> in each install. Will the installation sequence matter? Would it be
> better to install Office under XP32 then under XP64?
> I'm thinking a separate partition for Programs might help me keep
> things straight, any opinion about that? Any advice on issues with
> installing Office updates?
> Thanks again

Yes, that's what I did. I think that the order is not relevant.
Not a bad idea to put all your programs on a separate partition. The day you
want to get rid of your XP32bit (I hope the day will come soon, you just
have to wipe your partition and you keep the softs. Great idea as a matter
of fact

For the updates, I'm using Microsoft Update, do not have to go to the office
update website. So far, I didn't have to download the patches twice as I'm
using just one dir for the suite.

If you experience something different, please let me know.

Cheers

--
Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
Johannesburg - South Africa
http://msmvps.com/xpditif
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Microsoft implemented Activation in Office 2000 Service Release 1, but it
was disabled in 2003, you shouldn't have activate it any more. I remember I
had always activate Office 2000 Premium and one day when I reinstalled it it
never requested activation again.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"Christian Hougardy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Andre Da Costa [Extended64] <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> But Christian, wouldn't cause some conflict for one of operating
>> systems if its registering to different operating systems. Meaning,
>> if I install on x64 first, then go and install on XP 32bit its going
>> to wipe out some registration between the 64 bit Windows and Office?
>>

> Hi Dré,
>
> No, no problem at all here. I had to activate the suite twice, but the
> files with the infos are not in the office directory but on each OS. So,
> no mixing possible.
> John said something about activation. Maybe was he refering to the fact
> that he had to activate the soft twice, just like I did.
>
> Cheers
>
> --
> Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
> Johannesburg - South Africa
> http://msmvps.com/xpditif
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Microsoft Update I think only supports Office XP and 2003 for patches.