Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > XP64 & XP32 dual boot - can they share an MS Office 2000 install?

XP64 & XP32 dual boot - can they share an MS Office 2000 install?

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Microsoft Update is more of a red carpet service for Windows users.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"Christian Hougardy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Randy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> That's what I'd do; treat it like a network install and put it on a
>> third, "neutral"
>> partition while installing it to both operating systems so each
>> registers it to that partition and gets its own set of common files
>> etc. I'd do that as much as possible with application installs in
>> such a situation so long as it works, so as to save disk space and
>> simplify backups.
>>
>> I suppose you might go a step further and install it completely,
>> once, to a networked system, and access it from the other two via a
>> terminal client such as ICA, but that wouldn't accomplish anything
>> towards determining compatibility vis-a-vis x32 v. x64 operating
>> systems. Yet it might provide a solution for those apps that prove
>> (at least initially) incompatible with x64 operating systems. Right?
>>

> Yes, most probably
> Still, I want to be sure that MU is not a problem. My "2 versions" are
> uptodate but I installed the SP1 from the disk and the other updates from
> Microsoft Updates. I would like to understand why it doesn't work for
> others.
>
> Cheers
>

> --
> Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
> Johannesburg - South Africa
> http://msmvps.com/xpditif
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64

R. C. White

Hi, Gang.

Replying to myself - and resurrecting this old thread - to report success.
Finally!!

I should have posted this immediately, because I've forgotten the steps that
I went through to find the answer. But the solution was to change the name
of the \Windows\System32\CatRoot2 folder to BadCatRoot2. Then I let
Microsoft Update find the updates again. This forced a new download of the
update files, which then installed smoothly.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"R. C. White" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, Christian.
>
> No, no. As Dennis Pack guessed, I installed Office 2003 from the MSDN
> DVD. But the Updates are coming from the Web. So, yes, there could have
> been a glitch in the download.
>
> RC
>
> "Christian Hougardy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> R. C. White <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Hi, Christian.
>>>
>>> No joy. :>(
>>>
>>> I tried the link you gave me - and the cascade of links from there. No
>>> help.
>>>
>>> As I said, I have NO TROUBLE downloading the updates. But the
>>> INSTALLATION of the updates fails every time. The error code is
>>> always: "Error Code: 0x52F " But apparently I'm the only guy in the
>>> world with this particular error code. Even Google comes up with a
>>> couple of hundred hits on 0x52F, but none of them seem remotely
>>> applicable to my dilemma. The Microsoft troubleshooting sites can't
>>> find anthing about that code.
>>> I've tried both Microsoft Update and Office Update and get the same
>>> results both ways.
>>>
>>> Again, I'm in x64, trying to update Office Enterprise Edition 2003
>>> from MSDN DVD #2492. This is not an emergency. Office runs fine, as
>>> is, from either 32-bit or 64-bit WinXP. It's just frustrating,
>>> especially since I'm reminded every time I boot up - and again every
>>> time I shut down. Several times a day it takes a minute or so to try
>>> again - and fail again.
>>> RC
>>>

>> Hi RC,
>>
>> This is exactly what I did: the upgrade from the MSDN DVD and didn't had
>> any problem at all.
>> Maybe should you uninstall the suite and reinstall it, it may be a long
>> shot but nevertheless give it a try.
>> I'll shoot a mail at the windows update product lead to ask for help in
>> that matter.
>>
>> Cheers
>>

>> --
>> Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)

Goody2shoe

Thanks to Mr Hougardy's good advice I have Office 2000 installed on a
separate non-boot partition, E:\Program files\ and I am sharing the one
Office 2000 install between XP Pro 64bit & XP Pro 32bit.

I was worried that updating Office might get weird but I updated in XP32bit
first and then rebooted and checked updates in 64bit. I went back and forth
a few times and Office is up to date now in both XP64 & XP32.

My only problem is no email spell check in 64bit. Email spellcheck errors
out in MS Office 2000 Outlook, and in the Outlook Express. I've tried
various suggestions but no joy. I hope an XP64 update will get spell
working.
============================

"Goody2shoe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
Thanks again CH. I'll post a new topic when I've tried this out.

"Christian Hougardy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
Goody2shoe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Thank you C.H. It sounds like you have done this yourself.
> If I understand you, I need to install Office under each OS, custom
> install and specify the same directory & all the same customizations
> in each install. Will the installation sequence matter? Would it be
> better to install Office under XP32 then under XP64?
> I'm thinking a separate partition for Programs might help me keep
> things straight, any opinion about that? Any advice on issues with
> installing Office updates?
> Thanks again

Yes, that's what I did. I think that the order is not relevant.
Not a bad idea to put all your programs on a separate partition. The day you
want to get rid of your XP32bit (I hope the day will come soon, you just
have to wipe your partition and you keep the softs. Great idea as a matter
of fact

For the updates, I'm using Microsoft Update, do not have to go to the office
update website. So far, I didn't have to download the patches twice as I'm
using just one dir for the suite.

If you experience something different, please let me know.

Cheers