Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > XP64 & XP32 dual boot - can they share an MS Office 2000 install?

XP64 & XP32 dual boot - can they share an MS Office 2000 install?

Christian Hougardy

R. C. White <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi, Christian.
>
> I've been running Office 2003 Enterprise, from the MSDN DVD, for a
> year or so on 32-bit WinXP Pro. After installing WinXP Pro x64 from
> MSDN last month, I installed Office 2003 again in x64, into the same
> folder. Everything works fine...EXCEPT:
>
>> For the updates, I'm using Microsoft Update, do not have to go to the
>> office update website. So far, I didn't have to download the patches
>> twice as I'm using just one dir for the suite.

> Microsoft Update in x64 downloaded the Office 2003 updates just fine
> (all 6 of them, including the French dictionary stuff which I
> probably have no need for), but every attempt at installing them
> fails - all 6 of them. Everytime I shut down the computer, it says
> it is installing them - but it always fails again. There are some
> rather complex steps outlined in a KB article, but I haven't had the
> time or energy to follow them yet. Before getting MU, I had
> downloaded them with the older Office Update - and had the same
> results: they download, but installation fails. The update went
> smoothly when running 32-bit WinXP. Maybe I don't need to update
> again in x64, but MU detected the updates, downloaded them and keeps
> trying to install them.
> Recap: Installation was easy. Operation is fine. Updates download
> but don't install in x64.
>
> RC

Hi RC,

Thank you for telling us, it's quite strange as I didn't had any problem
with updates so far.
Can you check on
http://office.microsoft.com/officeup...px#description
the installed updates ? My list is similar with both versions of XP, so
looks like I'm uptodate....

Cheers
..

Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
Johannesburg - South Africa
http://msmvps.com/xpditif
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

R. C. White

Hi, Christian.

No joy. :>(

I tried the link you gave me - and the cascade of links from there. No
help.

As I said, I have NO TROUBLE downloading the updates. But the INSTALLATION
of the updates fails every time. The error code is always: "Error Code:
0x52F " But apparently I'm the only guy in the world with this particular
error code. Even Google comes up with a couple of hundred hits on 0x52F,
but none of them seem remotely applicable to my dilemma. The Microsoft
troubleshooting sites can't find anthing about that code.

I've tried both Microsoft Update and Office Update and get the same results
both ways.

Again, I'm in x64, trying to update Office Enterprise Edition 2003 from MSDN
DVD #2492. This is not an emergency. Office runs fine, as is, from either
32-bit or 64-bit WinXP. It's just frustrating, especially since I'm
reminded every time I boot up - and again every time I shut down. Several
times a day it takes a minute or so to try again - and fail again.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Christian Hougardy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> R. C. White <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Hi, Christian.
>>
>> I've been running Office 2003 Enterprise, from the MSDN DVD, for a
>> year or so on 32-bit WinXP Pro. After installing WinXP Pro x64 from
>> MSDN last month, I installed Office 2003 again in x64, into the same
>> folder. Everything works fine...EXCEPT:
>>
>>> For the updates, I'm using Microsoft Update, do not have to go to the
>>> office update website. So far, I didn't have to download the patches
>>> twice as I'm using just one dir for the suite.

>> Microsoft Update in x64 downloaded the Office 2003 updates just fine
>> (all 6 of them, including the French dictionary stuff which I
>> probably have no need for), but every attempt at installing them
>> fails - all 6 of them. Everytime I shut down the computer, it says
>> it is installing them - but it always fails again. There are some
>> rather complex steps outlined in a KB article, but I haven't had the
>> time or energy to follow them yet. Before getting MU, I had
>> downloaded them with the older Office Update - and had the same
>> results: they download, but installation fails. The update went
>> smoothly when running 32-bit WinXP. Maybe I don't need to update
>> again in x64, but MU detected the updates, downloaded them and keeps
>> trying to install them.
>> Recap: Installation was easy. Operation is fine. Updates download
>> but don't install in x64.
>>
>> RC
>>

> Hi RC,
>
> Thank you for telling us, it's quite strange as I didn't had any problem
> with updates so far.
> Can you check on
> http://office.microsoft.com/officeup...px#description
> the installed updates ? My list is similar with both versions of XP, so
> looks like I'm uptodate....
>
> Cheers
> .
>

> Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
> Johannesburg - South Africa

Dennis Pack

R.C.
I had the same problem. I'm working off memory but I think the problem was
that one of the downloads was corrupt. I cleared the temp files to allow a
new download of the updates then they installed with no problems.

"R. C. White" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

> As I said, I have NO TROUBLE downloading the updates. But the
> INSTALLATION of the updates fails every time. The error code is
> always: "Error Code: 0x52F " But apparently I'm the only guy in the
> world with this particular error code. Even Google comes up with a
> couple of hundred hits on 0x52F, but none of them seem remotely
> applicable to my dilemma. The Microsoft troubleshooting sites can't
> find anthing about that code.
> I've tried both Microsoft Update and Office Update and get the same
> results both ways.
>
> Again, I'm in x64, trying to update Office Enterprise Edition 2003
> from MSDN DVD #2492. This is not an emergency. Office runs fine, as
> is, from either 32-bit or 64-bit WinXP. It's just frustrating,
> especially since I'm reminded every time I boot up - and again every
> time I shut down. Several times a day it takes a minute or so to try

Hi RC,

This is exactly what I did: the upgrade from the MSDN DVD and didn't had any
problem at all.
Maybe should you uninstall the suite and reinstall it, it may be a long shot
but nevertheless give it a try.
I'll shoot a mail at the windows update product lead to ask for help in that
matter.

Cheers

--

Dennis Pack <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> R.C.
> I had the same problem. I'm working off memory but I think the
> problem was that one of the downloads was corrupt. I cleared the temp
> files to allow a new download of the updates then they installed with
> no problems.

Hi Dennis,

RC is trying to update from the MSDN disk, so most probably not a bad
download, but it may indeed be a good idea to clean the temp dir before
trying again.

Cheers

--
Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
Johannesburg - South Africa
http://msmvps.com/xpditif
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Dennis Pack

Christian:
I didn't mean the program, I meant the update download. Sorry for
not being clear.

"Christian Hougardy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dennis Pack <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> R.C.
>> I had the same problem. I'm working off memory but I think the
>> problem was that one of the downloads was corrupt. I cleared the temp
>> files to allow a new download of the updates then they installed with
>> no problems.

> Hi Dennis,
>
> RC is trying to update from the MSDN disk, so most probably not a bad
> download, but it may indeed be a good idea to clean the temp dir before
> trying again.
>
> Cheers
>
> --
> Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
> Johannesburg - South Africa
> http://msmvps.com/xpditif
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64

R. C. White

Hi, Dennis.

That sounds quite possibly the cause.

HOW did you clear the temp files? I've emptied the TIF, including offline
content, but Microsoft Update still says they've been downloaded and doesn't
offer to download them again.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Dennis Pack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23m$(E-Mail Removed)...
> R.C.
> I had the same problem. I'm working off memory but I think the problem was
> that one of the downloads was corrupt. I cleared the temp files to allow a
> new download of the updates then they installed with no problems.
>
> "R. C. White" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi, Christian.
>>
>> No joy. :>(
>>
>> I tried the link you gave me - and the cascade of links from there. No
>> help.
>>
>> As I said, I have NO TROUBLE downloading the updates. But the
>> INSTALLATION of the updates fails every time. The error code is always:
>> "Error Code: 0x52F " But apparently I'm the only guy in the world with
>> this particular error code. Even Google comes up with a couple of
>> hundred hits on 0x52F, but none of them seem remotely applicable to my
>> dilemma. The Microsoft troubleshooting sites can't find anthing about
>> that code.
>>
>> I've tried both Microsoft Update and Office Update and get the same
>> results both ways.
>>
>> Again, I'm in x64, trying to update Office Enterprise Edition 2003 from
>> MSDN DVD #2492. This is not an emergency. Office runs fine, as is, from
>> either 32-bit or 64-bit WinXP. It's just frustrating, especially since
>> I'm reminded every time I boot up - and again every time I shut down.
>> Several times a day it takes a minute or so to try again - and fail
>> again.
>>
>> RC
>>
>> "Christian Hougardy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Hi RC,
>>>
>>> Thank you for telling us, it's quite strange as I didn't had any problem
>>> with updates so far.
>>> Can you check on
>>> http://office.microsoft.com/officeup...px#description
>>> the installed updates ? My list is similar with both versions of XP, so
>>> looks like I'm uptodate....
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> .
>>>

>>> Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
>>> Johannesburg - South Africa

R. C. White

Hi, Christian.

No, no. As Dennis Pack guessed, I installed Office 2003 from the MSDN DVD.
But the Updates are coming from the Web. So, yes, there could have been a
glitch in the download.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX
(E-Mail Removed)
Microsoft Windows MVP

"Christian Hougardy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> R. C. White <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Hi, Christian.
>>
>> No joy. :>(
>>
>> I tried the link you gave me - and the cascade of links from there. No
>> help.
>>
>> As I said, I have NO TROUBLE downloading the updates. But the
>> INSTALLATION of the updates fails every time. The error code is
>> always: "Error Code: 0x52F " But apparently I'm the only guy in the
>> world with this particular error code. Even Google comes up with a
>> couple of hundred hits on 0x52F, but none of them seem remotely
>> applicable to my dilemma. The Microsoft troubleshooting sites can't
>> find anthing about that code.
>> I've tried both Microsoft Update and Office Update and get the same
>> results both ways.
>>
>> Again, I'm in x64, trying to update Office Enterprise Edition 2003
>> from MSDN DVD #2492. This is not an emergency. Office runs fine, as
>> is, from either 32-bit or 64-bit WinXP. It's just frustrating,
>> especially since I'm reminded every time I boot up - and again every
>> time I shut down. Several times a day it takes a minute or so to try
>> again - and fail again.
>> RC
>>

> Hi RC,
>
> This is exactly what I did: the upgrade from the MSDN DVD and didn't had
> any problem at all.
> Maybe should you uninstall the suite and reinstall it, it may be a long
> shot but nevertheless give it a try.
> I'll shoot a mail at the windows update product lead to ask for help in
> that matter.
>
> Cheers
>

> --
> Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)

Randy

That's what I'd do; treat it like a network install and put it on a third,
"neutral"
partition while installing it to both operating systems so each registers it
to that partition and gets its own set of common files etc. I'd do that as
much as possible with application installs in such a situation so long as it
works, so as to save disk space and simplify backups.

I suppose you might go a step further and install it completely, once, to a
networked system, and access it from the other two via a terminal client
such as ICA, but that wouldn't accomplish anything towards determining
compatibility vis-a-vis x32 v. x64 operating systems. Yet it might provide a
solution for those apps that prove (at least initially) incompatible with
x64 operating systems. Right?

"Christian Hougardy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Goody2shoe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > I'm setting up an Asus A8N with dual boot of XP32 & XP64 in separate
> > partitions. To save HD space I want to install MS Office 2000 so it
> > can be used by both OS'. Any advice on how to make this work?

> You have to install the soft twice but you can do it in the same directory
> on one hard disk
>
> Cheers
>

> --
> Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
> Johannesburg - South Africa
> http://msmvps.com/xpditif

Christian Hougardy

Randy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> That's what I'd do; treat it like a network install and put it on a
> third, "neutral"
> partition while installing it to both operating systems so each
> registers it to that partition and gets its own set of common files
> etc. I'd do that as much as possible with application installs in
> such a situation so long as it works, so as to save disk space and
> simplify backups.
>
> I suppose you might go a step further and install it completely,
> once, to a networked system, and access it from the other two via a
> terminal client such as ICA, but that wouldn't accomplish anything
> towards determining compatibility vis-a-vis x32 v. x64 operating
> systems. Yet it might provide a solution for those apps that prove
> (at least initially) incompatible with x64 operating systems. Right?

Yes, most probably
Still, I want to be sure that MU is not a problem. My "2 versions" are
uptodate but I installed the SP1 from the disk and the other updates from
Microsoft Updates. I would like to understand why it doesn't work for
others.

Cheers